BHPian

Do you remember what was the odd man out in the blood report
Old 17th May 2010, 20:57   #392
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yes :-) I will go to the dentist!!!
Just hate the thought of dental treatment especially stuff like root canal.
Drove 15 kms to go to my trusted dentist of last 30 years.
He gave me some antibiotics & asked me to come after 3-4 days.
He will drill & figure out what to do - pulp capping or root canal or nothing at all.
Old 17th May 2010, 23:43   #393
BHPian

dear all
its great talking about social responsibility
thinf about this
Dr X suggests solving a problem , Dr Y thinks its out dated
.....the result:Acrimony
Medicine is an inexact science ! IMHO
any orthopaedic querries feel free, SAN's your man
Old 18th May 2010, 05:55   #394
Senior - BHPian

My laziness is pushing me pursue several other things than visiting a Dentist & I'm embarassed to ask for a free consultation.

I've sensitive teeth only on the left side under the jaw; if I consume anything cold, like icecream or beverage, there's a pain that develops until the beverage passes through the teeth. I've this issue for quite over a year now. Hope I was able to explain this symptom better.

Is this a serious issue? Do I need to visit a doctor NOW or can I make a visit within 3 months? Do I need to undergo surgery or removing the tooth?
Old 18th May 2010, 09:06   #395
BHPian

I had a similar problem about 6 yrs back. I kept delaying it for at least 3 years and ended up with a root canal !!! The sooner you get it treated the better it'd be for you.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:06   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm embarassed to ask for a free consultation.
Don't be...
Quote:
... if I consume anything cold, like icecream or beverage, there's a pain that develops until the beverage passes through the teeth.
What you report appears to be a transient pain / hypersensitivity lasting for perhaps less than a minute, and then goes away completely. The most likely reasons are a cavity in a tooth which has not involved the pulp yet, or an exposed root surface on one or more teeth due to the gums receding away.
Quote:
Is this a serious issue?
Probably not yet.
Quote:
Do I need to visit a doctor NOW or can I make a visit within 3 months?
I would suggest you do it right now.
Quote:
Do I need to undergo surgery or removing the tooth?
What you probably need is a clinical examination and an x-ray if your dentist thinks so.

Cavities which do not involve the pulp can be filled, and exposed roots can be desensitised.

If, of course, the pulp is involved, you would be less likely to have transient pain lasting a few seconds - it would be a persistent pain after having anything hot / cold / sweet, or even spontaneous pain when not eating anything. In case of pulp involvement, you still don't need to have the tooth removed - a root canal treatment and crown will ensure you can use the tooth without trouble for many years to come.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:09   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My laziness is pushing me pursue several other things than visiting a Dentist & I'm embarassed to ask for a free consultation.

I've sensitive teeth only on the left side under the jaw; if I consume anything cold, like icecream or beverage, there's a pain that develops until the beverage passes through the teeth. I've this issue for quite over a year now. Hope I was able to explain this symptom better.

Is this a serious issue? Do I need to visit a doctor NOW or can I make a visit within 3 months? Do I need to undergo surgery or removing the tooth?
Seems to be a dentinal sensitivity issue. Do you brush vigorously? Are you right handed?
If you haven't been to your dentist in the past 3 months, go to him now.

EDIT: Oops SS, back to back posts.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 18th May 2010 at 11:11. Reason: see edit
Old 18th May 2010, 11:18   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
EDIT: Oops SS, back to back posts.
No issues. aargee was too embarrassed to ask for a free dental consult, so he got two! Now we hope he'll take himself to a dentist today.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:58   #399
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much from my bottom of my heart to both the Doctors SS-Traveller & Tejas.
Both of you're right on the symptoms; I'll cancel my Bangalore trip this weekend & make an appointment with a dentist for sure.

To answer Dr.Tejas's question, well, I brush less than 30 seconds & I used to brush twice a day, but then gave up & now brush only in the mornings. But ensure that my mouth is clean (gargle with plain water) at night ('cause I hate bad breath in the morning). I was using Listerine for sometime in the night, but then, its not only an expensive affair, but somehow I found the quality of listerine in India not so good. So gave up that too. And yes I'm right handed, is there some relativity? And I don't brush vigourously, just gentle enough. Reason being that somewhere I remember hearing that one should not brush vigourously & not more than 30 seconds to avoid eroding the tooth. Is this true?

Food habits - Strict vegetarian (does this have any significance?)

I haven't been to a dentist in last 33+ years!!!

Last edited by aargee : 18th May 2010 at 12:00.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:53   #400
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Pulp capping can be done, but rare, used more in children. And don't be a doctor and self diagnose and plan your treatment, just go to your dentist.
I found various links which suggest that pulp capping is a viable alternative to root canal for a lot of cases.
Pulp Capping - An alternative to root canal treatment
Pulp Capping - Root Canal Alternative - 1-800-DENTIST®
How to Avoid Root Canal with Direct Pulp Capping | eHow.com

My dentist also suggested pulp capping without me referring to it at all. He said after he drills through the old cavity & inspects the area, he would be able to decide whether pulp capping would work for me - it would work only if the nerve is not totally dead. Only otherwise did he say that I would have to go for a root canal.

My dentist is a very old fashioned dentist. He is least bothered about making money. He very rarely suggests wisdom teeth extraction or root canal treatment - there are other dentists in the area who recommend a root canal treatment even before you open your mouth. More than 50% of my dentists patients are maid servants etc who work in the colony.

Quote:
To answer Dr.Tejas's question, well, I brush less than 30 seconds & I used to brush twice a day, but then gave up & now brush only in the mornings. But ensure that my mouth is clean (gargle with plain water) at night ('cause I hate bad breath in the morning). I was using Listerine for sometime in the night, but then, its not only an expensive affair, but somehow I found the quality of listerine in India not so good. So gave up that too.
My personal opinion is that one shouldn't use stuff like Listerene except for a very limited time for some particular problem.
Our life is filled with anti-bacterial mouthwashes, anti-bacterial soaps, wipes etc because of graphic adverstisements on TV depicting bacteria armed with weapons & trying to attack us. All bacteria aren't harmful. Half the bacteria are useful bacteria both inside & outside your body. Bacteria help in digesting our food, help keep away fungus, make curd from milk etc.

Killing bacteria all the time will create superbugs which are resistant to anti-bacterials & anti-biotics.

Avoid regular use of Listerine & other mouthwashes. Listerine was never invented as a mouth wash. It's original uses were for surgical scrubs, floor cleaning etc. Since they weren't able to sell it much for these uses, it was then marketed as a cure for bad breadth which then made it a runaway success.

Quote:
And yes I'm right handed, is there some relativity? And I don't brush vigourously, just gentle enough. Reason being that somewhere I remember hearing that one should not brush vigourously & not more than 30 seconds to avoid eroding the tooth. Is this true?
I brush very vigourously with a soft brush for a very short time - i try to reduce the intensity of the brushing but lapse into the old habit very soon. My new brush looks like a 5 year old brush within 3 days.

Quote:

I haven't been to a dentist in last 33+ years!!!
I hardly visited a dentist for the first 33 years of my life. Since then however, I have had to visit one every 6 months or so for one thing or another :-(
Old 18th May 2010, 13:20   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My personal opinion is that one shouldn't use stuff like Listerene except for a very limited time for some particular problem.
Ok, will switch over to brushing the teeth at nights; but I still prefer Listerine but for its cost.

Quote:
Killing bacteria all the time will create superbugs which are resistant to anti-bacterials & anti-biotics.
Right but...I hate bad breath too

Quote:
Listerine was never invented as a mouth wash. It's original uses were for surgical scrubs, floor cleaning etc. Since they weren't able to sell it much for these uses, it was then marketed as a cure for bad breadth which then made it a runaway success.
Made me

Quote:
I brush very vigourously with a soft brush for a very short time - i try to reduce the intensity of the brushing but lapse into the old habit very soon. My new brush looks like a 5 year old brush within 3 days.
Haha, my brush looks slightly new after 3-4 months of use & I change them atleast once in 4 months.

Quote:
Since then however, I have had to visit one every 6 months or so for one thing or another :-(
Oh!!! God!!! will that be my case too?

Oh!!! and another info for the Doctors - We use only Close-up (red color) for several years, say atleast for last 10-15 years now & we haven't changed to any other toothpaste. But for the brush, we're unable to get a specific model regularly. I love the old Oral-B brush that comes in a slight oval with straight medium bristles. But now they've introduced the zig-zag models which I hate.

Last edited by aargee : 18th May 2010 at 13:21.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:25   #402
BHPian

Quote:

That's right. Daily use of mouthwash has been linked to increased incidents of oral cancer.

Have a look at these links

Mouthwash can raise oral cancer risk 9-fold - Science - Home - The Times of India

Mouthwash Linked to Oral Cancer, Erosion of Tooth Enamel
Old 18th May 2010, 15:56   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

NO. THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE LINKING DAILY USE OF MOUTHWASHES WITH CARCINOMA.
If you are paranoid, use alcohol free mouthrinses.

SS can add more, it's his speciality.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:01   #404
BHPian

any light on Lichen Planus?

Calling all skin experts for help.
Can a healthy skin suddenly develop Lichen Planus?
are there any stereo causes/effects/after-effects of the same?

Non-steroidal treatment possible?
Can re-occurence be totally avoided?

Kindly excuse me for the mutiple questions!
But, in search of the same, and the net is very scary place to search for medical issues!

Care.

Ace.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:07   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Do you remember what was the odd man out in the blood report
I checked with my wife, even she doesn't remember the exact medical term. Better get the blood test done.

Most Viewed