Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 12:10   #436
BHPian

@SSTraveler - Thanks a ton. I was tensed about this because of lack of knowledge. Now I am more at ease.

(Thank you Tejas)
Old 31st May 2010, 17:09   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
My 18 month old son has around 14 teeth. He started teething quite early - in his 6th month. His two upper front teeth and the two lower front teeth have jagged ends. Even the surface of the teeth appears to have an eroded look (it is not smooth like us). He is still breastfeeding and since the last 6 months is having all regular food that we eat. We have a practice of brushing his teeth (without any toothpaste) once a day. Rest of the day his mom brushes it with her fingers and then rubs them with a clean soft cloth.

Are the jagged teeth problematic? How to ensure that he grows 'regular' teeth when the next set comes through! Lately, he has developed a tendency to bite with his molars rather than the front teeth which he was doing earlier. In fact if i insist him on using the front teeth, instead of a 'bite', he ends up 'tearing' the food.
Seems like a case of caries in the anterior teeth. A very important question would be: how long has the child breastfed? 8 months is the MAXIMUM time that breast milk must be offered to the child, after which he should be fed normal cow's milk (though, boiled well) WITH THE HELP OF A SPOON. NO BOTTLES WITH NIPPLES PLEASE!
The reason for this is the excessive amount of sugar in breast milk, as compared to cow's milk.
Being a pediatric dentist, I get a lot of children who have breast fed for over 2 years and that is where most problems begin.
A piece of advice to all the young fathers and mothers: Please discontinue breast milk after the age of 8 months.
Kalpesh, I think you must get your son's teeth checked at a Pediatric Dentist to put all your doubts at rest. I am more than willing to offer you the contact of a good one in your area.
Cheers!!
PM me or post here.

Last edited by frankmehta : 31st May 2010 at 17:10.
Old 31st May 2010, 17:26   #438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
A piece of advice to all the young fathers and mothers: Please discontinue breast milk after the age of 8 months.
Both American Association of Pediatrics & WHO recommend breast feeding for atleast one to two years.

From WHO recommendations

Quote:

WHO strongly recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life. At six months, other foods should complement breastfeeding for up to two years or more. In addition:
  • breastfeeding should begin within an hour of birth;
  • breastfeeding should be "on demand", as often as the child wants day and night; and
  • bottles or pacifiers should be avoided.
AAP has endorsed the above.

Is there any research showing it should be discontinued at 8 months.
Old 31st May 2010, 17:58   #439
Team-BHP Support

Everybody agrees on the two year thing: Breastfeeding: How Long Is Too Long? - Parents - Families.com
Old 31st May 2010, 18:06   #440
Senior - BHPian

as pediatric dentists , we refer to a lot of of text books, international as well as Indian. As is common, Google or Wiki or for that matter, the internet as a whole must never be used as the final word when it comes to medicine or dentistry. As for breast milk, let me say its recommended by pediatricians over the world but its not endorsed by pediatric dentists for a long period. :-)
Old 31st May 2010, 18:27   #441
Team-BHP Support

I am not saying you are wrong. But why this 8 month thing is kept out of the web, why such a secrecy?

Quote:
Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child
Source: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk -- Section on Breastfeeding 115 (2): 496 -- AAP Policy

Why is American Academy of Pediatrics posting wrong advice on their web site?

Last edited by Samurai : 31st May 2010 at 18:31.
Old 31st May 2010, 18:48   #442
Senior - BHPian

its not a secret or wrong advice mate. its just two factions of the medical world advising what is best according to them. agree there's a discrepancy but we gotta do the best we can :-)
Old 31st May 2010, 21:10   #443
Senior - BHPian

what does sugar in breast milk have to do with a child trying to use molars instead of incisors, unless you are giving a generic advice for teeth decay in children. I prefer to limit their sugar in other foods (no chocolates, ice creams etc) which will help them in long run.

any specific statistics on harmful effects? even otherwise, I would think the benefits of breast milk far outweigh the harms. my elder one was breastfed for more than two years and we intend to do the same for the younger one. no problems so far.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:52   #444
BHPian

My son was breast fed till 2 years old. His front upper teeth (now 3+ years) is eroded to about half the height of other teeth. The dentist we consulted blamed it on the fact that mother and son used to sleep with mouth to nipple. So I will still support breast feeding for two years.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:56   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
what does sugar in breast milk have to do with a child trying to use molars instead of incisors, unless you are giving a generic advice for teeth decay in children. I prefer to limit their sugar in other foods (no chocolates, ice creams etc) which will help them in long run.

any specific statistics on harmful effects? even otherwise, I would think the benefits of breast milk far outweigh the harms. my elder one was breastfed for more than two years and we intend to do the same for the younger one. no problems so far.
Yes, it's a generic message. Sugar in breast milk leads to caries. That was what it was intended for mate.
You are doing the perfect thing by limiting their sugar and even though they are kids and they eventually do slip in a dose of sugar oh so regularly, proper rinsing is recommended after the 'sinful' act
The harmful effects of breast milk on teeth are nursing bottle caries.

Quote:
Baby Bottle Tooth Decay (Nursing Bottle Caries): The term describes a dental condition which involves the rapid decay of many or all the baby teeth of an infant or child. The teeth most likely to be damaged are the upper front teeth since they are the first teeth to erupt and thus have the longest exposure time to the sugars in the breast milk/feeding bottle. The lower front teeth tend to be protected by the tongue as the child sucks on the nipple of the bottle or the breast.

Baby Bottle Tooth Decay is caused by long exposure of a child’s teeth to liquid containing sugars generally when the baby falls asleep with a bottle containing milk or juice or a pacifier dipped in honey. The liquid pools around the front teeth. During sleep, the bacteria living in every baby’s mouth, turns the milk sugar or other sugars to acid which causes the decay.

By the time the condition is noticed by the parents it may be too late and extractions of the decayed teeth may be necessary. As a result, your child may suffer from long term disorders which include speech impediments, possible psychological damage, crooked or crowded teeth, and poor oral health.
The condition can be easily prevented by
  • Clean your child’s teeth daily
  • Giving plain water after a bottle of juice, milk, or formula
  • Start bottle weaning by at least a year
  • Make sure your child gets the fluoride needed to prevent decay
  • Have regular dental visits for your child beginning when their first tooth erupts
We hope that you realize this and give your child the best means possible to achieve optimal dental health.
A good routine would be to give ONLY mother's milk for 6 months, after which you can start baby supplements and other foods, alongwith mother's milk (which means the volume of mother's milk ingested by the baby will go down significantly.)
Keep this going for the next six months (IE till one year is up,) and then slowly start weaning the child off mother's milk. Baby food can comprise of most meals, and mother's milk can be given for another year or so, but ONLY if it is a secondary means of nuturition.
So yes, the 2 year thing technically does apply here, but mother's milk should NOT be the only means of nutrition for the second half.

Last edited by frankmehta : 31st May 2010 at 22:03.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:11   #446
BHPian

This might be off topic here, of late I am losing a lot of hair. I was fine till a year ago, but the last 6 months have been pretty bad all of a sudden. Even my pillow will be covered by a lot of hair when I get up in the morning. I understand it could be because of the pollution etc, but is there something I can do about it? Is ayurvedic treatment good for this? I am going to be 23 soon and a lot underweight for my height, could that have anything to do with it? But I have always been underweight :P and had a head full of hair(not very long ago
Old 31st May 2010, 22:25   #447
BANNED

Quote:
Baby Bottle Tooth Decay is caused by long exposure of a child’s teeth to liquid containing sugars generally when the baby falls asleep with a bottle containing milk or juice or a pacifier dipped in honey. The liquid pools around the front teeth. During sleep, the bacteria living in every baby’s mouth, turns the milk sugar or other sugars to acid which causes the decay.
Milk pooling while the baby is asleep would be a problem with any kind of liquid food, not just breast milk. As rightly said in the quote above. This quote doesn't really show that breasfeeding is worse than feeding.

Quote:
So yes, the 2 year thing technically does apply here, but mother's milk should NOT be the only means of nutrition for the second half.
That's true. It's well accepted that fror 100% breastfeeding 6 months is the right time.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:45   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
This might be off topic here, of late I am losing a lot of hair. I was fine till a year ago, but the last 6 months have been pretty bad all of a sudden. Even my pillow will be covered by a lot of hair when I get up in the morning. I understand it could be because of the pollution etc, but is there something I can do about it? Is ayurvedic treatment good for this? I am going to be 23 soon and a lot underweight for my height, could that have anything to do with it? But I have always been underweight :P and had a head full of hair(not very long ago
stress has a lot of significance here IMO. I noticed the same at your age when 1. I was preparing for engg entrance. 2. when I was looking for a job.

I guess some of us have very sensitive hair. Quick solution, cut very short or shave off for a while. I think longer hair fall sooner. and use natural oils, not chemical concoctions. stay healthy!

on a lighter note, you should be happy your hair are taking the frontline wih stress and not other serious health conditions .
Old 31st May 2010, 23:37   #449
BHPian

well im a orthodontist and m wife is a pedodontist and she recommends 11/2 to 2 rs of breast feeding and she herself applied with our kid but food was slowly supplemented and weaning done in 18-0 months
Old 31st May 2010, 23:44   #450
BHPian

and just a reference for the same

#65 This is one of the best scientific research articles proving that breastmilk alone does not cause infant caries. For this research, Dr. Erickson was runner up for the 1998 AAPD award.

#66 - Conclusions of Dr. Erickson’s research:

1) - Human breastmilk (HBM) actually deposits calcium and phosphorus onto enamel.

2) - HBM does not cause a significant pH drop in plaque

3) - HBM is not cariogenic UNLESS another carbohydrate source is available for bacterial fermentation.

4) - The buffer capacity of HBM is very poor

5) - HBM supports moderate bacterial growth.

search net for erickson's research

my wife is a professor and HOD in a dental college

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks