Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:05   #586
BHPian

Eye Doctor/Gynecologist

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest me a Eye Doctor & Gynecologist in Bangalore ( in and around Indiranagar,Jeevan Bheema Nagar )

I stay near manipal hospital but don't want to go there because everyone knows what they are specialized in
Old 4th October 2010, 10:13   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
if its a small one, it can easily be built up with composite. visit a dentist.
keep smiling.
Thanks. I did visit the dentist and as you recommended he did put the composite which now as come off in less than 12 hours. I am hoping it is just workmanship which he will rectify.

Will this serve him as a solution as he grows up ?
How often he has to get the compound replaced ?
What are the consequences if compound falls off for a few days ?
I am not keen to pull the tooth out but are there any other permanent fixes ?
Old 4th October 2010, 11:22   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Thanks. I did visit the dentist and as you recommended he did put the composite which now as come off in less than 12 hours. I am hoping it is just workmanship which he will rectify.

Will this serve him as a solution as he grows up ?
How often he has to get the compound replaced ?
What are the consequences if compound falls off for a few days ?
I am not keen to pull the tooth out but are there any other permanent fixes ?
yes that is faulty workmanship or poor quality material.. the composite should not come off on its own. it should last for years together unless some trauma, etc.

few days without it shouldn't matter much.(depends upon the xtent of damage)

and dont worry about removing the tooth. in modern day dentistry, we dont remove teeth till absolutely necessary. and yous sons case is quite a simple one. if the composite doesnt stay, then we can put a crown over the tooth once he grows up.

keep smiling.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:47   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Guys, my sleep was disturbed today at about 3:45am due to a unbearable pain the the center of the left chest. I have got such pains a few times when running or having a physical exercise in the last 2-3 years but never severe like the one I got about an hour back. I had unbearable pain while taking long breaths so I was taking continuously short breaths. After about 15 minutes, I hit my fists to my chest due to which I guess the pain stopped. Any solution guys?

P.S : I am a 17 year old teen and a non-smoker if that might help. Also, I am currently having a temprature of about 100F.

EDIT : Just checked this url, Angina pectoris (chest pain) which mentions that one of the symptoms could be "a heavy meal" which I had yesterday night.

from what u are telling , it is extremely unlikely to be cardiac in origin... matlab pain is not from the heart .. Pain with deep breathing is usually Pleural ...matlab from the membranes covering the Lungs( left lung..).
Stll no harm in getting a general checkup .. since pain is recurrent..
Old 19th October 2010, 22:04   #590
BHPian

I have a doubt related to root canal treatment. What is the last step. I had one last year. After dentist put the capillary and sealed it, he said it was over. Now why I ask now is he looked totally incompetent. Just because he had opened the tooth I had to bear with him. I did not even go back to him for crown. Its been one year and I haven't visited a dentist. Its front two teeth. I now plan to go for crown.
Old 20th October 2010, 01:27   #591
Senior - BHPian

any ENT experts?

I was flying to atlanta in July and was feeling sleepy since I had to wake up at 4 in the morning, so was kind of rubbing my forehead and at one point the spot (a litle left on the forehead) felt like burst into pain. The whole flight it kept giving me a splitting headache. While returning I had the same pain after around 30 mins into the flight. looked it up and saw that it could be inflammed sinuses acting up under low pressure. Hoping it was a one off case, took a flight again yesterday and same thing repeated. While returning I took "tylenol (acetaminophen) sinuses" and although I felt the pain, it was in control by the medication. but the pain is still there (almost a day later).

I have noticed for around past two years that my mornings are full of sneezing (5-10 everyday). Never gave any thought to it, always thought because I have moved to a cold place, I might be getting this.

1. Why the trigger by pressing. did I hurt my frontal sinus?
2. Do I need a treatment to fix this, or target the root cause?
3. Its root cause can be long term sinus inflammation that went unnoticed?
4. should I watch for allergens?
5. should I watch for flights?

I am going to try neti pot, but I am most concerned about point 1.
Old 20th October 2010, 23:30   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
I have a doubt related to root canal treatment. What is the last step. I had one last year. After dentist put the capillary and sealed it, he said it was over. Now why I ask now is he looked totally incompetent. Just because he had opened the tooth I had to bear with him. I did not even go back to him for crown. Its been one year and I haven't visited a dentist. Its front two teeth. I now plan to go for crown.
last step for root canal treatment is sealing the canal with gutta percha and then sealing the opening with a PERMANENT filling material.(why i emphasise on permanent is that, mostly it is sealed with a temporary cement after sealing the canal to check for few days if everything is good after which it is replaced with a permanent filling.) also, most root canal treated need to be crowned. RCT treated teeth become brittle and are prone to fracture due to trauma or biting forces. i suggest you get your teeth crowned to enhance their life.
keep smiling.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:06   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
last step for root canal treatment is sealing the canal with gutta percha and then sealing the opening with a PERMANENT filling material.(why i emphasise on permanent is that, mostly it is sealed with a temporary cement after sealing the canal to check for few days if everything is good after which it is replaced with a permanent filling.)
Now it has got me worried. Is it possible that I have temporary filling all along. Is there a way to verify that myself? (front teeth) . I plan to visit the dentist this Saturday anyway. Is it possible for him to verify if root canal was successful? and it need be, can a permanent filling be done now after 8 months?
Old 21st October 2010, 13:17   #594
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

As far as crown following a root canal goes, current trend in the US (for the last few years) is no temp at all. Using CAD/CAM machines in the doctors office, they instantly make the crown & fit it immediatelly - i.e. no temp & going back 2nd time for a permanent crown. CEREC is one the machines which is used for this.
Is such a thing done in India at all? Atleast at my dentist, even if the crown is fabricated by CAD-CAM, it involves the dentist taking the measurements & sending it out for CAD-CAM fabrication to an outside shop & then doing the crown fitting at a later date when he gets the crown from the shop.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:24   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As far as crown following a root canal goes, current trend in the US (for the last few years) is no temp at all. Using CAD/CAM machines in the doctors office, they instantly make the crown & fit it immediatelly - i.e. no temp & going back 2nd time for a permanent crown. CEREC is one the machines which is used for this.
Is such a thing done in India at all? Atleast at my dentist, even if the crown is fabricated by CAD-CAM, it involves the dentist taking the measurements & sending it out for CAD-CAM fabrication to an outside shop & then doing the crown fitting at a later date when he gets the crown from the shop.
It is done here. However, are you willing to pay $2000 for it?

CEREC is old gen FYI.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:01   #596
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It is done here. However, are you willing to pay $2000 for it?
:-)

I don't have any root canal/crown needs at present (had one done 4-5 months back) - hopefully, I won't need it any time soon.

But won't it be cheaper in India than in the US? Considering every other dental treatment is cheaper in India than the US.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:06   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
But won't it be cheaper in India than in the US? Considering every other dental treatment is cheaper in India than the US.
It's technology not labour. There are now tons of milling machines available in India. However, duties are prohibitive.

And anyways, no good clinic will give a final crown in one day, either here or in europe. I personally don't consider the US market as a high end market at all.

The machines only mill out the coping of the crown. (It's basically the part that fits over the prepared root surface). After that a good ceramist will gradually layer shades and textures of ceramic over the coping and then it goes into the furnace. This takes time.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:48   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It's technology not labour. There are now tons of milling machines available in India. However, duties are prohibitive.

And anyways, no good clinic will give a final crown in one day, either here or in europe. I personally don't consider the US market as a high end market at all.

The machines only mill out the coping of the crown. (It's basically the part that fits over the prepared root surface). After that a good ceramist will gradually layer shades and textures of ceramic over the coping and then it goes into the furnace. This takes time.
I believe if you want a good dentistry as developed countries, you will have to shell out almost equal amount of money, high end dental surgeons here are now getting equally equipped and equally paid. and most of our equipments are imported so they are sometimes 2 times to what our US counter parts paying
Old 26th October 2010, 09:59   #599
BHPian

Trying to start a Dialysis Center in PCMC, any nephrologists here?

Hi All,

I am trying to start a nephrology / dialysis center in PCMC, Pune, and looking for a nephrologist to tie up with.

Already have talks ongoing with senior nephrologists in Pune who are willing to do weekly visits, tie ups with major hospitals, etc.

But we need to partner with a young, energetic nephrologist who is starting his career and is willing to manage the daily operations of the clinic.

Am also creating tie ups with reputed independent dialysis centers in Hyderabad and Bangalore. We have a major cooperative bank willing to give a loan too.

My wife is working in the medical social work department of a major hospital in Pune, hence we got this idea

Requesting all respected doctors in this forum to recommend if they know someone who fits the profile.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:12   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
any ENT experts?

I was flying to atlanta in July and was feeling sleepy since I had to wake up at 4 in the morning, so was kind of rubbing my forehead and at one point the spot (a litle left on the forehead) felt like burst into pain. The whole flight it kept giving me a splitting headache. While returning I had the same pain after around 30 mins into the flight. looked it up and saw that it could be inflammed sinuses acting up under low pressure. Hoping it was a one off case, took a flight again yesterday and same thing repeated. While returning I took "tylenol (acetaminophen) sinuses" and although I felt the pain, it was in control by the medication. but the pain is still there (almost a day later).

I have noticed for around past two years that my mornings are full of sneezing (5-10 everyday). Never gave any thought to it, always thought because I have moved to a cold place, I might be getting this.

1. Why the trigger by pressing. did I hurt my frontal sinus?
2. Do I need a treatment to fix this, or target the root cause?
3. Its root cause can be long term sinus inflammation that went unnoticed?
4. should I watch for allergens?
5. should I watch for flights?

I am going to try neti pot, but I am most concerned about point 1.
During few receent flights I have had a similar pain in my forehead. It happens when the aircraft is losing altitude in preparation for landing. Starts off as a sharp piercing pain above my nose and spreads to the forehead. It feels like there are sharp spikes piercing me from within. It's very painful and quite annoying.I have to grab by head 'cos it feels like something inside may rupture. The pain gets alright soon after landing. I've been taking flights since I was seven but this has started to happen recently. A friend of mine who's a pilot said that it happens when one has a cold or blocked sinuses. Any expert opinions?

BTW what's neti pot?

Most Viewed