Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 13:22   #646
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
just wondering, will the CD have a timestamp of the test?
It should be trivial to manipulate the timestamp, even if it does exist.
Old 20th November 2010, 16:10   #647
BHPian

Got the CD !

It says my mom's name everywhere in the records shown by the CD software, and the time and date of scan are absolutely correct. So there's negligible chance of it not being my mom's angio CD, I think.

Thanks @drasitkhanna

Last edited by anku94 : 20th November 2010 at 16:11.
Old 21st November 2010, 06:57   #648
BHPian

@Dr tejas,
hi doc hope your doing fine.

My front two teeth are RCT treated adn were later coated with composites,over a period of time this have discoloured and do not match the other teeth making it look awkward.

I would like to know what material or will ceramic on this teeth will help them look more aesthetic?

opinions i have got from dentists are as follows:
1)RCT treated teeth turn grey and any kind of coating will reflect the grey tooth beneath hence its no point in coating them again...

2)Second doc told me to use crowns for these and told me life of them will be max 8to 10 years,i currently have no issues with this teeth and fiind that the previous composite coating actually gave them sum additional strength,i am little awry about cutting my teeth and putting crowns so would like an alternative.

so what would u advise,my plan was to get the two teeth bleached from inside and then do a ceramic coating matching the other teeth.

Kindly advise..

is there a better material then ceramic which would last like real long?
Old 21st November 2010, 11:50   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@Dr tejas,
hi doc hope your doing fine.

My front two teeth are RCT treated adn were later coated with composites,over a period of time this have discoloured and do not match the other teeth making it look awkward.

I would like to know what material or will ceramic on this teeth will help them look more aesthetic?

opinions i have got from dentists are as follows:
1)RCT treated teeth turn grey and any kind of coating will reflect the grey tooth beneath hence its no point in coating them again...

2)Second doc told me to use crowns for these and told me life of them will be max 8to 10 years,i currently have no issues with this teeth and fiind that the previous composite coating actually gave them sum additional strength,i am little awry about cutting my teeth and putting crowns so would like an alternative.

so what would u advise,my plan was to get the two teeth bleached from inside and then do a ceramic coating matching the other teeth.

Kindly advise..

is there a better material then ceramic which would last like real long?
Hi,

As a rule, in my professional opinion, root canaled teeth should always be crowned(capped). The teeth tend to become brittle after root canaling and the crown will prevent fractures.

Don't bleach or use composite. The preferred protocol is capping these teeth. If made properly by the dentist and the lab and if you are regular with your follow ups, i don't see why they shouldn't last longer.

You can use either metal ceramic caps or metal free caps (zirconia coping) depending on your budget.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:02   #650
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Question for eye doctors
- How safe is cataract surgery for 75 year old diabetic man who has had multiple heart attacks?
- Is this usually outpatient surgery or does it require stay in the hospital?
- Is this done under local or general anaesthesia?
- What are the possible complications?
- Are there different kinds of ways of doing cataract surgery? If yes, what's the safest?
- What's the recovery time?
- Is it better to do it early or can it wait?
Any eye doctors, surgeons if there please reply as soon as possible.

Both his eyes need cataract surgery - this will be done this week at Rushabh Hospital in Chembur.

The doctor gave a choice 2 different lens - one which requires a 2.8 mm incision & another MICS lens which just requires 1.8 mm - the MICS one is costlier, but are there any advantages - is this a timetested procedure & lens or is this something which is relatively new?
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:23   #651
Senior - BHPian

Dental Query

Hello Dentists,

I recently extracted my left wisdom tooth from my lower jaw. The molar preceding my wisdom tooth was missing for a long time which caused the wisdom tooth to grow crooked and had to be extracted.

Now my question is;
There is a big gap where my wisdom tooth was removed and my missing molar next to that. Can I fix another tooth/ molar there to compensate for the gap and help me chew on my left side too. Right now, the feeling of a missing tooth is causing me to use my right side for most chewing duties.
Please advise,
1. if a tooth(molar) implant is possible in place of the missing molar(the original molar broke off over 2 years ago and the space is now fully covered). There is a hole where the wisdom tooth was removed which I assume will cover itself up over time.. right??

2. Are there any negatives to such a procedure, if at all it is possible.
3. Will the implant be usable for chewing non veg and other food or will it just remain a cosmetic implant.
4. What should be the approx cost of a molar implant for the lower jaw.
5. What material options do I have, as in metal/synthetic etc, and which will be effective for the long term, with lowest downtime and maintenance.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice & suggestions.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 23rd November 2010 at 15:27.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:28   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
There is a big gap where my wisdom tooth was removed and my missing molar next to that. Can I fix another tooth/ molar there to compensate for the gap and help me chew on my left side too.
Yes
Quote:
1. if a tooth(molar) implant is possible in place of the missing molar(the original molar broke off over 2 years ago and the space is now fully covered). There is a hole where the wisdom tooth was removed which I assume will cover itself up over time.. right??
Yes, right.

Quote:
2. Are there any negatives to such a procedure, if at all it is possible.
What procedure? The removal or replacement? Non replacement of the tooth will lead to problems. You HAVE to replace it.

The implant procedure is fairly routine and a competent doctor can do it easily. Only remember, the more you wait to replace, the more bone you loose, the shorter and narrower implant goes in and the treatment gets compromized.

Quote:
3. Will the implant be usable for chewing non veg and other food or will it just remain a cosmetic implant.
It is fully functional
Quote:
4. What should be the approx cost of a molar implant for the lower jaw.
Depends on the doctor and the implant used. Ranges from 20,000 to 45,000 including the crown (cap) on it.

Quote:
5. What material options do I have, as in metal/synthetic etc, and which will be effective for the long term, with lowest downtime and maintenance.
All implants are titanium. For posteriors (molars) i would suggest a porcelain fused to metal crown on it as adequate. Full ceramic not advisable in my opinion for heavy biters.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd November 2010 at 16:30. Reason: typo
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:59   #653
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the prompt n quick advice Tejas. Based upon your replies I will attend to the replacement shortly.

3 final questions prompted by your replies.

1. The missing molar preceding my wisdom tooth has gone over 2 years ago. The wisdom tooth was extracted just 5 weeks ago.
Since I will be replacing the molar after over 2 years, based upon your reply, is it too late already as in too short & narrow implant??

2. How long does it take for a molar replacement procedure, as in, is it a one sitting job or does requires multiple sittings ?

3. Do the titanium implants cause the body scanners at the airport transits to beep?

Thanks & regards,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 23rd November 2010 at 17:02.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:57   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Allow me to reply on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
3 final questions prompted by your replies.

1. The missing molar preceding my wisdom tooth has gone over 2 years ago. The wisdom tooth was extracted just 5 weeks ago.
Since I will be replacing the molar after over 2 years, based upon your reply, is it too late already as in too short & narrow implant??
The final decision will have to be made by looking into your mouth and using x-rays to determine how much of bone is present. The selection of implant will be based on the findings.

Quote:
2. How long does it take for a molar replacement procedure, as in, is it a one sitting job or does requires multiple sittings ?
The insertion of the implant is a minor surgical procedure done under local anaesthesia, and should take not more than 30-45 minutes. Expect some minor pain/discomfort for a few days, probably less than what you felt after the wisdom tooth extraction.

After this there is usually a wait period of 4-10 weeks (depending on the dentist's preference and your own body's response), to allow the implant to integrate with the bone and become firmly embedded. Then on your second visit, you undergo another minor surgical procedure of a few minutes, and the upper part of the implant is fitted into the part that has already fused with your bone. An impression is now made to reproduce your teeth and the part of the implant sticking out above the gum. After the impression is made, the dentist usually puts a temporary crown over the implant.

The impression is used to make a true replica (model) of the teeth, and a dental laboratory makes the final crown - which is fitted on at the third visit after a few days.
Quote:
3. Do the titanium implants cause the body scanners at the airport transits to beep?
Too little metal there to set off the scanners. X-ray scanners are calibrated not to give false alarms by being triggered off with dental silver restorations or implants - or even removable metal dentures. Don't worry about this.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd November 2010 at 21:00.
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:37   #655
Senior - BHPian

Thank you to both docs for your kind advice. I shall attend to this at the earliest.
Old 24th November 2010, 00:15   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Any eye doctors, surgeons if there please reply as soon as possible.

Both his eyes need cataract surgery - this will be done this week at Rushabh Hospital in Chembur.

The doctor gave a choice 2 different lens - one which requires a 2.8 mm incision & another MICS lens which just requires 1.8 mm - the MICS one is costlier, but are there any advantages - is this a timetested procedure & lens or is this something which is relatively new?
Cataract surgery is one of the safest surgeries in current clinical practice.
It is a day care surgery done under local anaesthesia.
The best method for the patient will be to go in for phacoemulsification technique of cataract surgery.

Possibility of aftercataract(recurrence of cataract over artificial lens) is a certain possibility in 5-15% cases.
In current standings... cataracts should be operated at the earliest as the degenerate/abnormal fibres are less hence easier to emulsify thereby causing less damage to other ocular structures.

Recovery is normally within one day however minimal precautions must be observed for a week atleast.

As regards to difference between MICS and Phacoemulsification...i would suggest phaco for your patient as MICS isn't practically very prevalent as of now in india...also phaco is tested already on lakhs of patients with very good outcomes.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:08   #657
BHPian

Hello guys,

I am confused where to post my query.. But i can find all the docs in this thread so posting it here.

I am moving back to germany for longterm(4-6yrs) my betterhalf is a doctor finished her MBBS(in india) now and wants to pursure MS in neurosurgery wants become a surgeon .i have been searching for information on studying or practising it in germany.

But i am not able to get the clear picture on this yet.So i am turning to TeamBhp for Advice.Please help.

@Mods please excuse this post as i needed this information ASAP.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:38   #658
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitaggarwal View Post

As regards to difference between MICS and Phacoemulsification...i would suggest phaco for your patient as MICS isn't practically very prevalent as of now in india...also phaco is tested already on lakhs of patients with very good outcomes.
So in MICS, what is the method for removing the old lens if it's not Phacoemulsification?
Old 5th December 2010, 18:22   #659
BHPian

Wife had her lower molar, removed, yesteryeay, it was a wisdom tooth. She also needed 3 stitches, she is in major pain since, duflon every 4 hours. What i can give her for a 12 hour relief so that she can sleep. Thanks in advance
Old 5th December 2010, 19:53   #660
BHPian

Just remembered this thread!

Dad's been bitten buy a monkey.We've cleaned the wound , it is a deep scratch on the arm due to the moneky's teeth . The wound has been cleaned with tincture and dad's also taken a Tetvac injection.

Question is ... Is it necessary to take an anti-rabies injection within 24hours or can we wait? and any other steps to follow ?

Most Viewed