Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 12:49   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was at the receiving end of this last Thursday. Me & wifey both got side-upper in adjoining 3AC coaches (she had booked later) of 2623 Tvm Mail. And both coaches did not have the side-upper berth restored to old position, though side-middle was removed.
Even i was at the recieving end last month, they have removed the side middle berths, but they have left the side upper as it is, imagine travelling like this in second class in hot summer. I was not in 3AC, i was in a sleeper class bogey.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
SBMs are existing in some of the trains even now. eg:- Garib rath from Yeswanthpur to Ernakulam have the SBM. It is a pain to get into this berth. Also I have noticed that there were no modifications on theSide Upper Berth. They had just inserted the Middle berth between the Side Lower berth and the Side Upper Berth.

Also unless the guy in the Side Middle Berth wakes up and the Lower Berth where his seat is alloted is available, all the 3 side passangers have to remain in horizontal position.
I believe Garib Rath's are the only remaining train which carrries the 3+3+3 configuration. The reason given being that the tickets on these trains are discounted ones and hence the reason for the additional seats to mop up additional revenue to make up the discount.
If I am right, they cannot fix the middle berth without pushing the upper berth a little up. The bogie that you saw might have been a new 3+3+3 bogie ( and not a retrofitted one) in which the height of the bogie is also increased a little to offset the upper berth being pushed up.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:24   #138
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I believe Garib Rath's are the only remaining train which carrries the 3+3+3 configuration. The reason given being that the tickets on these trains are discounted ones and hence the reason for the additional seats to mop up additional revenue to make up the discount.
If I am right, they cannot fix the middle berth without pushing the upper berth a little up. The bogie that you saw might have been a new 3+3+3 bogie ( and not a retrofitted one) in which the height of the bogie is also increased a little to offset the upper berth being pushed up.
There's also passenger train from CST to shirdi/ daund (I guess or manmad may be) thru pune where this 3 + 3 + 3 exist. It's a combination of two trains. One coming from daund or something like that and another coming from shirdi, that join at pune. Now the sleeper class of the shirdi train doesn't have the 3 + 3 + 3 as per the chart. But since side middle berths are still there in the bogies, people don't bother. Those with unreserved tickets get in and royally sleep on the side middle berth. Guess the tte is benefitted due to which he doesn't bother
Don't know whether this is still continuing now.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:09   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
There's also passenger train from CST to shirdi/ daund (I guess or manmad may be) thru pune where this 3 + 3 + 3 exist. It's a combination of two trains. One coming from daund or something like that and another coming from shirdi, that join at pune. Now the sleeper class of the shirdi train doesn't have the 3 + 3 + 3 as per the chart. But since side middle berths are still there in the bogies, people don't bother. Those with unreserved tickets get in and royally sleep on the side middle berth. Guess the tte is benefitted due to which he doesn't bother
Don't know whether this is still continuing now.
There are still bogies in which the back conversion from 3+3+3 to 3+3+2 hasnt happened yet, but if you see, tickets are not being issued for those seats. Ofcourse, it is the TT who benefits from these non-converted coaches.

Garib raths are officially 3+3+3 with seats being alloted in that configuration. God help the person in SM berth.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:15   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Garib raths are officially 3+3+3 with seats being alloted in that configuration. God help the person in SM berth.
People are being treated as cattle. No wonder why it is called cattle class.

Treating the customer with dignity is an alien concept across the nation.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Blame it partly on the populist policies and the public's clamour for subsidies.
Rail fares have not been increased in years, though input costs (fuel, wages etc) have risen heavily. Logical thing would be to increase fares, but the moment it is done, the Opposition would start bandhs/rail-rokos etc.

So, they keep the fares as-is, make revenue from other areas like cancellation fees, tatkal charges, new seating/sleeping arrangements like the coffin-berths (extra berth in side-seats) etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks