BHPian

use the link PROFORMA FOR OPINION POLL

to voice your opinion against the 9 berth system
Old 17th February 2009, 15:59   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
What next? Dorm coaches?
Dreaded to think now, as in the railway budget, Mr. Lalooji has promised that the passenger capacity in express trains will be increased by 22 % .

Was wondering if this will be done by addition of coaches or by addition of berths in the existing coaches !!!
Old 17th February 2009, 17:44   #78
Team-BHP Support

I had the misfortune of travelling in a 3AC compartment with side middle berths the past weekend, and yours truly was the the one fortunate enough to get the non-existing throne, called the middle seat. Luckily for me, someone who originally had the upper berth sat on the sharing seat, while i had the seat to myself.

The very thought of having to sleep in that dingy congested berth was revolting for me, and when someone suggested i take the side upper berth, i took it up. It was another disaster for me, thanks to the curved roof which made a non-claustophobic person like me begin to feel so.

After this trip, my wife has laid down an ultimatum saving she refuses to travel in anything lower than 2AC. As for me, i think i shall drive, when possible.

Lalu ji, i wont complain if you dont reduce fares, but seriously do cringe when i see the middle berth on the sides.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:08   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Dreaded to think now, as in the railway budget, Mr. Lalooji has promised that the passenger capacity in express trains will be increased by 22 % .

Was wondering if this will be done by addition of coaches or by addition of berths in the existing coaches !!!
Hey you know what.I guess there can be an addition in passenger capacity by introducing pull out berths from the roof of a coach . Just as Benbsb29, I too had the privilege of getting a side middle berth but due to availability of seats I took the normal upper berth.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Railways have decided to do away with this horrendous "side 3 berth" system, right?
Old 5th April 2009, 10:48   #81
BHPian

Any changes Yet?

I have seen a few trains with a 72 berth charts but the same old coaches. Has anyone come across a train where both the chart and the coaches arrangement has been reverted to the original one?

What about Garib Raths. I heard that the trains that is only 1 night journey and Garib Raths are going to be unaffected by the new changes and will remain a 3-3-3 arrangements. Any news on this one?
Old 5th April 2009, 15:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Has anyone come across a train where both the chart and the coaches arrangement has been reverted to the original one?
I travelled from Bangalore to Daund in 3AC-Karnataka express in mid-march. The coach had 9-berths per cubicle (dont know if this is the right word), but, the side-middle was not allocated. And, the seat numbers were overwritten with a permanent marker to indicate only 8-berths/cubicle. Good news I must say.

Sadly, a friend travelled a couple of days later on the same train (in the reverse direction) and he reported that 9-berth scheme is back. Don't know what the IR guys are experimenting with.

BTW, I travelled in a train after a long time (3+ years) and I was amazed at the level of cleanliness when compared to what it was earlier. Atleast somethings are changing for good.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 6th April 2009, 16:04   #83
BHPian

OK - I have a question - is the new side middle berth installed only in short distance trains or even in long distance ones?
The specific train I have in mind is the Gorakhpur Secunderabad Express
Old 6th April 2009, 16:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
OK - I have a question - is the new side middle berth installed only in short distance trains or even in long distance ones?
My experience (which I've narrated in the post above) is with Karnataka Express which runs from Bangalore to Delhi. I would call it a long distance train.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly
Has anyone come across a train where both the chart and the coaches arrangement has been reverted to the original one?
Yes. But again not all coaches in the train are the old type - it is a mix of old 2-side berth coaches and new 3-side berth coaches. And which one you get depends on your luck or lack of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
The coach had 9-berths per cubicle (dont know if this is the right word), but, the side-middle was not allocated. And, the seat numbers were overwritten with a permanent marker to indicate only 8-berths/cubicle. Good news I must say.
Well, even though only 8 berths are allocated per cubicle and side-middle not used, it is still a pain because getting onto the side-upper is tough and sleeping there is even more trouble. When I am in such a situation, I opt for the unallocated side-middle instead of side-upper - comparitively less troublesome option.

From what I see, they seem to have now modified their reservation s/w to accomodate the extra berth. If they were planning to do away with this whole joke, wonder why they would modify the s/w.

Just for this and other ways of cheating the customers, I wish the joker does not come back to power. I would rather pay more for my ticket via fare increase (due to input costs going up), than pay the same amount and travel like sardines in a tin. And anyway, they make up for not increasing fares by this means and other ways like doubling cancellation fees, creating artificial demand on trains via the tatkal system.

From the initial days of keeping just 1 coach for tatkal ie.72 berths, they now have 30% of the total berths for tatkal - for eg. on the 2623 Mail, 292 seats (4 coaches) are kept aside for tatkal, creating artificial demand.

Why stop with 30% ? Just mark all 100% seats as tatkal and make money. I am sick to the gills with this joker's actions.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th April 2009 at 14:22.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
From what I see, they seem to have now modified their reservation s/w to accomodate the extra berth. If they were planning to do away with this whole joke, wonder why they would modify the s/w.
Now, I see another possibility. They got the coach *downgraded* to a 9-berth one and were about to introduce it to the Karnataka Express. Perhaps, the permanent marker was just a *temporary* thing for a couple of more days before the 9-berth ticketing system took effect.

I agree, simply increasing the fare by 9/8 was a better option than this circus. Many of us who don't like this in 3AC and don't mind paying extra would switch to 2nd AC. But, this would seriously lower the quality of life for people who've been traveling by sleeper class and don't want to take the quantum jump to 2nd AC.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:16   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
My experience (which I've narrated in the post above) is with Karnataka Express which runs from Bangalore to Delhi. I would call it a long distance train.
Thanks! Was just being unrealistically optimistic, i guess!
Old 9th April 2009, 11:39   #88
BANNED

All you railfans should join the IRFCA (Indian Railways Fan Club Association)

[IRFCA] Welcome to IRFCA.org, the home of IRFCA on the internet.
&
irfca : IRFCA - The Indian Railways Mailing List

Those gents are amazing.
Old 9th April 2009, 23:17   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
BTW, I travelled in a train after a long time (3+ years) and I was amazed at the level of cleanliness when compared to what it was earlier. Atleast somethings are changing for good.
May be you just got lucky! During a recent trip I've seen mice running
around, -- let alone an army of roaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
From what I see, they seem to have now modified their reservation s/w to accomodate the extra berth.
Well, I'm not so sure about that. At least they are not consistent.
For my recent trip (late Feb) on hwh-ypr exp, the allocated seat nos.
(for a 72 berth coach) were changed around for the 81-berth coach
provided, while maintaining the original berth allocation, e.g. my LB remained a LB
(although the no. changed), and I was happy under the
circumstances. However, on the way back (early Mar), my LB became
a SUB. and I couldn't do anything about it.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:26   #90
BHPian

Recently travelled on the Kalka Howrah Express (both up & down) - both the chart as well as the coach had the original 72 berth system. Thanking my lucky stars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks