Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 18:14   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Biju,

I was told that booking for 3 side-berths has been dropped or will be dropped very soon. No more coaches will be manufactured with this configuration. Existing 3SB coaches will be modified to make the side middle berth unusable.

regards
tifosi.
Some coaches were converted to 81 berths by adding a 3rd side berth. This created lots of problems for booking and inconvenience to the passangers. finally it was decided to stop the modification and to remove the 3rd side bertg from the 3 tire sleepers. Due to the advance bookings, removal will start this month.( as per news paper article.)
Old 15th September 2009, 21:20   #107
BANNED

I can confirm that the middle side berth has been removed at least in some coaches. At least, on one of the coach of the Hyderabad - Thiruvananthapuram Sabari express.

I could make out from the unsually high side upper berth, and the "injuries" on the side panels.

But I will not be booking my favourite side upper berth for a long time now. I sleep at short stretches on journeys, and during nights, I would sit up on the side upper berth. I never had to bother any other passenger for sleeping during day time. But on the 3 Side berth pattern, I simply could not get inside the top berth.
Old 17th September 2009, 18:26   #108
BHPian

I can also confirm that it has been removed in Ajantha express and Secunderabad Exp.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:46   #109
BHPian

On a related note,

Did anyone book for children between 5 to 12 years on irctc.co.in and get 50% concession on the base fare? I believe its according to Indian Railway rules.

Can anyone kindly confirm me the same please ?
Old 11th December 2009, 14:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

please confirm. I booked and canceled on garibrath due to change in last minute change in plans due to odd timings on my route

But on my ticket it was written SM. Does this mean it has side middle??
Old 11th December 2009, 14:31   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

while such an initiative may drive up the available accommodation it will also remove any comfort there may have been on a train.
in any case only seriously vertically challenged human beings can manage to fit on these side berths. if i remember right, these side berths are also narrower so it would mean that the passengers girth also would have a huge impact on whether they fit or not!
instead of this regressive sort of measure why dont they simply increase the train frequency on some of these hugely important routes and provide the common person with a little more comfort? Doesnt the common man deserve comfort at least?
Should make Mamta Banerji travel in the middle berth of the three side berths, from Kanyakumari to New Delhi and chain her to the berth for good measure so that she can actually experience what she is visiting on other poor unfortunate common people!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th December 2009 at 14:35.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
But on my ticket it was written SM. Does this mean it has side middle??
As far as I know, the Garib Raths still retain the side middle berths. Maybe the rationale is that since the fares are lower, some inconvenience can be borne by the passengers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Should make Mamta Banerji travel in the middle berth of the three side berths, from Kanyakumari to New Delhi and chain her to the berth for good measure
It was actually Laloo Prasad Yadav's idea. Even before Mamta took over he realised the plan wasn't working as envisaged, and ordered the removal of the SM berths.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:57   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

thank god.
it is disgusting how these politico chaps automatically assume that the common man will simply swallow whatever is dished out to them and whenever!
only with education can we free ourselves from this kind of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
As far as I know, the Garib Raths still retain the side middle berths. Maybe the rationale is that since the fares are lower, some inconvenience can be borne by the passengers!

It was actually Laloo Prasad Yadav's idea. Even before Mamta took over he realised the plan wasn't working as envisaged, and ordered the removal of the SM berths.
Old 11th December 2009, 22:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
On a related note,

Did anyone book for children between 5 to 12 years on irctc.co.in and get 50% concession on the base fare? I believe its according to Indian Railway rules.

Can anyone kindly confirm me the same please ?
Yes, I did about 6 years back, and both my kids got that 50% concession. I also booked for my MIL (senior citizen) recently and she too got the concession.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:27   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, I did about 6 years back, and both my kids got that 50% concession. I also booked for my MIL (senior citizen) recently and she too got the concession.
Thanks a ton honey for the confirmation. Does IRCTC do the calcuations automatically or do we need to input more data other than the age ?
Old 14th December 2009, 13:52   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Thanks a ton honey for the confirmation. Does IRCTC do the calcuations automatically or do we need to input more data other than the age ?
For children you just need to put the age. For Senior Citizens, you mention the age and also tick the option for Snr Citizens.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:25   #117
BHPian

Garib Rath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
In 2 tier AC you will have 2 berths one above the other. So six in all. The side berth is 2 seater.

In 3 tier AC it was 2 on the side. So eight in all. Due to the curve of the bogie you cannot have 3 there. Unless they have changed the design.
Hi, I recently travelled by Garib-Rath from Delhi to Mumbai and the side berths there were 3 in number so total berths were 9. Needles to say as the name suggests the width of the berths is reduced and its difficult for anyone above 5'9" to fit comfortably. Hope this helps
Old 17th December 2009, 14:26   #118
Senior - BHPian

Laloo Prasad Ladav introduced side middle berth to increase revenue but there were lots of protests from passengers due to inconvenience. Finally he ordered to remove them. From Jan 2009 side middle berths were not used.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:55   #119
BHPian

I traveled on the Secunderabad - Yeswanthpur Garib Rath Express. In the AC 3 tier sleeper coaches, the side berths have 3 beds. One at the bottom (two chairs fold down into one bed) one at the top fixed and just below the top bed, we have to unclamp a bed and it folds down and latches in the middle. Didnt seem uncomfortable.
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:07   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid
Didnt seem uncomfortable.
Which one was your berth ? Try getting onto the top side berth and you would know a new meaning for "uncomfortable".

Most Viewed