Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Security theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Security theater consists of security countermeasures intended to provide the feeling of improved security while doing little or nothing to actually improve security.[1] The term was coined by Bruce Schneier for his book Beyond Fear, but has gained currency in security circles, particularly for describing airport security measures. It is also used by some experts such as Edward Felten to describe the security measures imposed after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Security theater gains importance both by satisfying and exploiting the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

The biggest and grandest security theater in India are the police nakabandi's.

There is total chaos on the roads with traffic backed up for kilometers together. At the end of a long , slow moving and tiring traffic flow, you see the cops sitting and chatting and reading newspapers.

I wonder if the cops have even caught a pickpocket in these nakabandi's till today.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I wonder if the cops have even caught a pickpocket in these nakabandi's till today.
It does work!
It was one of those nakabandi on 26-Nov that helped them to nab the lone terrorist caught alive (Kasab).
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Tragically and proven, we are at the end of the straw.
I think you have misunderstood me. We are not at the end of the straw, but the frisking part is the end of the process of a security cover. If millions of people have to be frisked, the process alone would help a few bad elements to carry out their ill plans.
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody elaborate on the security measures in UB city in Bangalore.

My friend told me that they literally raped the car with about 6-7 guys and then said "welcome to UB city sir!".
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It does work!
It was one of those nakabandi on 26-Nov that helped them to nab the lone terrorist caught alive (Kasab).
From what I know the cops did the nakabandi after the attacks started.

I drove from CST to Chembur that night at about 11 pm. The whole city was practically under nakabandi that night and I must say for the first time, I saw the cops really working during a nakabandi. They were really active that night checking almost all vehicles. But just yesterday there was a nakabandi after the Octroi naka on the Vashi-Chembur stretch and there wasn't any cop to be seen anywhere.
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:26   #22
BHPian

mumbai might be relatively secure here is what i saw in delhi Security, My Ass, Nothing but a farce !!! | wandering-online.com
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:02   #23
ECM
BHPian

Where is old thread on 26/11?I failed to find it,sorry for OT.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

InOrbit Mall, Vashi: Yesterday, there was no underbody check of any car. But they now make all passengers get down and check the insides of the car. One of the security guy even lifted the rubber mat on the floor and checked the undersides! However, drivers are not asked to get down!

Women, again, were not being frisked.

Does the women not being frisked happen to all malls all over the country or is it restricted to Navi Mumbai? I am really getting irritated with this gender racism.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:26   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think you have misunderstood me. We are not at the end of the straw, but the frisking part is the end of the process of a security cover. If millions of people have to be frisked, the process alone would help a few bad elements to carry out their ill plans.
Oh ok. I thought since rest all has failed we have reached the end of the straw.

Imagine a situation like we have at CST in Mumbai, its just not possible.

But depending on intelligence is a risk we sadly have to take.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I am guessing women are not frisked due to lack of trained female security guards.
I happened to go to Taj and Oberoi yesterday to give my respect to those who perished (I just returned the day before) and though the security has been considerably stepped up, I was not impressed. I am going to list what is happening at some of the important places I visited so far:

International Airport: Just a simple check of cars going to the parking lot according to my driver. I didnt notice too much security at the airport either.

Domestic Airport: I went there in our Mercedes and was decently happy. Given that it was a Merc, they still opened the trunk and the rear seats to check. However, that was it.

Taj: The whole area has been cordoned off. Since I drove there with the driver next to me, he had to park near radio club. Also, before entering the premises (the area around taj has been cordoned off), the security asked me where I wanted to go. I gave him an answer and satisfied, he let me through. Then when I reached Taj, I parked the car next to a police jeep and a few other vehicles. Immediately a valet attendant came and asked me why I was there and told me I cant park there. I was like ok and my driver took over and on the valets instructions, took the car to the parking near radio club.
I then went inside but realized I left my wallet in my car and instead of calling for the car (which would take a further 15 mins to come because of all the roundabouts he would have to take, i decided to walk over. while walking a security guard curtly told me not to walk near taj and I was like What the Hell? My car has been parked there, i have every right to walk over to it rather than waste 15 min and a lot of fuel for him to come.
The whole area has been cordoned off and even people aren't allowed to walk near the Taj. However, apart from the rude security guard, the rest of the people were very polite. However, while entering the Taj, I noticed that there is no frisking or checking of bags. I passed through a metal detector which didn't beep even though I had a wallet, belt and a lighter on me.
I seriously wonder how long they would have to keep this approach as it is totally impractical for the public and the guests.

Oberoi: Now the security out here is the best of what I have seen so far. We pulled up in our car, the security came, didn't ask why we were there but checked the underbody, trunk and bonnet. Then we passed a metal detector that actually beeped and were frisked before entering. However, my mother wasn't and only me and my dad. Once again, the staff were very polite and I am really impressed with this hotel.

As things move, let us see what happens and how the security will be at other places I visit. Planning President Hotel tomorrow night for dinner.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Fortune Exotica, Vashi: I wasn't allowed to park my car in the hotel's compound. They have cordoned off the entire entry and asked me to park the car beyond that area. Backed up the vehicle with the boot facing the wall. My vehicle wasn't checked. This still was the hotel's wall. Sure the building was a little away but could still damage a bit of the building in the event of a blast. Entry is through the metal detector. Female security officer was around. No frisking of females.

Last edited by amit : 24th December 2008 at 13:30.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days back, the boot of my car refused to close when i opened it for security check when entering EGL. Had to get the hook realigned in order to make it work. Now i tell the guards at the checkpoint that my boot doesnt open, when they ask me to open it. So, instead they check the backseat of my car! LOL.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

InOrbit Mall, Link Road, Malad: The guards make you get down from your car, then check around all the storage places (glovebox, the small storage space between driver and passenger seat), the boot, the spare wheel storage space, underbody. Once I had gone early morning and they even had a dog, though that was 100% security theater, since the dog wasn't really doing anything.

Once you park your car and enter the mall, you have to take off all metallic objects, put them in a tray and go through a metal detector after which you'll be frisked. Women are made to go in a small room-type tent one-by-one where they're most probably frisked.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
InOrbit Mall, Link Road, Malad: Women are made to go in a small room-type tent one-by-one where they're most probably frisked.
That's interesting. Seems like women not being frisked is happening only in Navi Mumbai. The procedure outlined by you is exactly the same as in Vashi except for the women not being frisked part. This means the mall management has not given any direction on women not being frisked. Great, now these guys are going to have it from me! Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks