Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Passport Expired in US

Hi Team BHPians,

Need your urgent advice on this situation. My sister and niece are scheduled to fly to India on 28th Dec from Atlanta. The issue here is, My niece's Indian Passport got expired last week.Fortunately my sister was able to detect this today itself. My niece is 5yrs old and the Passport was valid for 5 years.

Now what are the steps my sister can take so that she can fly on 28th itself. There are only two working days before 28th. Now if she has to go to Indian consulate in Houston and renew the Passport, it will take a minimum of 2 weeks. Since my Company has granted a compulsory paid off from Dec25th to Jan 4th, we had a long list of travels planned with my sister.

I was also told that, that an Indian Passport can be renewed within 6 months of the expiry and there will not be any restriction on travelling back. Is this true? .

Since the Passport checking is done by the Airlines while flying back, based on the above rule, is it suffecient to get some form of approval in writing from the airlines.

Any input, suggestions or pointers on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th December 2008, 12:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since she is returning to her home country, I do not expect any major problems. check with the embassy in houston though.

here is a case online
Canadian Desi Reading Topic: Expired Indian Passport & Travel to India
Old 24th December 2008, 12:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Check with the embassy if they can do an emergency processing of the passport. Suggest contact the embassy immed - and not take a chance. Even if it is only about coming back to home country.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:02   #4
BHPian

The Embassy can help, meanwhile it is next to professional suicide to travel on a soon to expire passport from outside India into India.

Do note that the regular renewal period for an Indian passport (non tatkal /tatkal passport is a bigger headache) is next to a month, with a lot of explaining in terms of documentation and proof of residence, proof of identity, proof of present residential status. If the passport holder is a non Indian resident, please please tell him/her to get it renewed from the country of residence.

The Indian High Comission in Houston/Consulate at Washington will help, in fact even stolen passports are reported and new ones issued within a week.

Cheers and wishing your family a safe and happy journey.

Cheers
M M
Old 24th December 2008, 13:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
The Embassy can help, meanwhile it is next to professional suicide to travel on a soon to expire passport from outside India into India.
Cheers and wishing your family a safe and happy journey.

Cheers
M M
Contacting the embassy will be the first thing she will be doin today(another 7 hours to go). Thank you for your wishes.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:15   #6
BHPian

If you show up in consulate, i was told that you will get the passport within a day. At least this is the case in SFO. And this is the best way to do it. Check the consulate website, it should have all details.

Getting it in Bangalore is no big deal either, for a resident. Even thru normal scheme, it takes about 10 working days. But not sure for an NRI, with respect to the documents, proof etc.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
If you show up in consulate, i was told that you will get the passport within a day. At least this is the case in SFO. And this is the best way to do it. Check the consulate website, it should have all details.

Getting it in Bangalore is no big deal either, for a resident. Even thru normal scheme, it takes about 10 working days. But not sure for an NRI, with respect to the documents, proof etc.
gkrishn your point is valid but for a resident who has phone bills, electricity bills, ration card, etc and has a bank account which he/she is operating within India. The policemen who do the verification (I am from the travel domain therefore I state this) will be the most confused individual in this context when you show him a US driving license, a US bank account, etc etc.

The best bet is the consulate since the Individual is outside India. For all that matters, if the applicant is a job holder, he/she wont have a job if they do not reach at work on time/on the given day.

Cheers
M M
Old 24th December 2008, 13:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
gkrishn your point is valid but for a resident ... The best bet is the consulate since the Individual is outside India.
Hhmm... i thought this is exactly what i suggested in my reply.
Quote:
If you show up in consulate, i was told that you will get the passport within a day. At least this is the case in SFO. And this is the best way to do it.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:30   #9
BHPian

Dude.

Ask your sister to get on the last flight to houston on 25th with a filled up application and a good sob story. Get in the queue on 26th morning. She will get the new passport at 4 in the evening and she can take the last flight back to Atlanta.

This is exactly what I did 2 years ago when I had an expired passport and had to travel in a hurry.

Vijay

Last edited by prabhuav : 24th December 2008 at 15:37.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Dude.

Ask your sister to get on the last flight to houston on 25th with a filled up application and a good sob story. Get in the queue on 26th morning. She will get the new passport at 4 in the evening and she can take the last flight back to Atlanta.

This is exactly what I did 2 years ago when I had an expired passport and had to travel in a hurry.

Vijay
Vijay,

What a relief seeing your post. There is proven solution finally. Hope things works out well for her also. Thanks a lot.

Regards
Kishore
Old 24th December 2008, 17:40   #11
BHPian

Make sure that she is there by 8:00 am in the morning. Also confirm that the consulate is working on the 26th. You can expect a lot of rush . Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 24th December 2008, 18:29   #12
BHPian

My experience is very good about Indian Embassy in New York. My passport was renewed in 3 days flat, with normal processing. I didnt pay anything extra for tatkal processing etc.

Best way is to contact Indian Embassy and let them know.
Old 24th December 2008, 19:57   #13
BANNED

do not travel with an expired passport. immigration authorities may create a big issue
Old 25th December 2008, 19:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

My brother got into this exact situation earlier this year, he discovered his passport had expired more than a year ago at the airport while he was boarding a flight to India (Don't ask me how he's so careless!). Anyway, the airlines (American) put him on to the flight anyway & after being detained at Heathrow for 24 hours, he was sent back to the US.

So next working day (Monday) he went to the Indian consulate in NY and was given a new passport on the same day itself. So I would agree with Vijay's advice & ask your sister to go to the Indian consulate on the first day possible.
Old 25th December 2008, 19:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Hi Team BHPians,

Need your urgent advice on this situation. My sister and niece are scheduled to fly to India on 28th Dec from Atlanta. The issue here is, My niece's Indian Passport got expired last week.Fortunately my sister was able to detect this today itself. My niece is 5yrs old and the Passport was valid for 5 years.
God only know s what s the reason for issuing passport for 5 yr s to children when it come s to infant s it is understandable but with children do they also change beyond recognition ??

Most Viewed