Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2019, 09:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Had a fabulous experience at London marathon this Sunday - my second world major marathon. Weather was perfect and the crowd support just fantastic.

I had a really strong and steady race finishing in 3:54, a jump of more than 20 mins from my Berlin 2018 time of 4:16.

Look forward to Chicago as my next world major now - on 13 Oct 2019.
Thats a fabulous timing! I guess good training and a decent weather ensured that the chips fall into place.

P.S: Do you train with any group in Mumbai or on your own?
Old 1st May 2019, 10:51   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Had a fabulous experience at London marathon this Sunday - my second world major marathon. Weather was perfect and the crowd support just fantastic.

I had a really strong and steady race finishing in 3:54, a jump of more than 20 mins from my Berlin 2018 time of 4:16.

Look forward to Chicago as my next world major now - on 13 Oct 2019.
Congratulations on the successful London marathon and PB

I have been following your training in Strava and the amount of hard work you have put into this. And what a fantastic result! Wishing you all the best for the Chicago marathon and many more marathons after that.

I see you have the Chicago marathon on 13th October. And you also have the IM 70.3 Goa on 20th October, right? No recovery planned between? Are these just training events for an Ironman 140.6 in 2020?
Old 1st May 2019, 12:23   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.S: Do you train with any group in Mumbai or on your own?
Thanks milecruncher. I am with Shivaji Park Striders who are an incredible bunch of runners with lovely camaraderie.

I do most of my training and running on my own though. 80-90% of it is alone since I follow an online remote coach’s plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

I see you have the Chicago marathon on 13th October. And you also have the IM 70.3 Goa on 20th October, right? No recovery planned between? Are these just training events for an Ironman 140.6 in 2020?

Haha. Thanks Graaja.

Chicago is very much my "A" race for the year and i will train and race hard at Chicago. I had registered for it before I even got London as a late per chance bib. Goa 70.3 was announced when I was already signed for Chicago and I just had to get a medal of first ironman event in India so I am treating Goa like one big party event. I'll do it relaxed, enjoy the occasion and the meet up with my various triathlete friends who will congregate there. I also wanted my son to witness a proper ironman event at some point and Goa seems an easy way for him to do that with minimal school disruption. Easy for him I mean. It is going to be a very tough one for athletes I guess what with running in 34 dey heat and humidity.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2019 at 12:26.
Old 12th August 2019, 10:49   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
I'm planning to do the HM at Coonoor (if the rain gods decide to let us do it) next weekend (18th Aug). Registrations are still open for 5k/10k/21k. My plan is to ride (bike) from Bangalore to Coonoor the previous day and return on Sunday afternoon (reach Bangalore by nightfall).

If anyone is up for it, do PM me! Would be fun!

Link: http://nomadicnilgiris.com/
Old 29th September 2019, 11:14   #245
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Last year I ran a 10km for the first time in my life. But it ended up with an injury on my foot.
The outer side of my right foot pained for almost 3 months of which one month was very severe. I did consult an ortho. X Ray did not reveal any fracture and I was suggested to refrain from running for 3-4 months.

Then I relocated to Singapore in May this year. Couple of weeks ago, I went to a podiatrist. After a few checks, he suspects my right leg is probably slightly longer than the left one which puts extra pressure on my feet. He has recommended insoles and inserts to correct this

I searched around on net and the opinion seems divided on the use of insoles. Anyone around here has experience with insoles? I want to run a 10km again this December.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:04   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys,

Last year I ran a 10km for the first time in my life. But it ended up with an injury on my foot.

I searched around on net and the opinion seems divided on the use of insoles. Anyone around here has experience with insoles? I want to run a 10km again this December.
I was advised to use insoles for plantar fasciitis by an orthopedic and it helped. Used them for about 6 months till the pain disappeared. Now I just do exercises.
Coming to injury, my main suspect would be shoes and form. If your mileage is more, some people advise on having multiple pairs of the same shoes and rotate so as to give the shoes regain their composure after the hard run. Also, try to get a coach. There might be issues with your form which only a second person can notice and correct.
Old 12th October 2019, 22:31   #247
BHPian

Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge smashes two-hour marathon barrier

In one his interviews, Eluid said that earlier people believed that this feat would be achieved by as late as 2075.
Just yesterday he tweeted : I don't know where the limits are, but I would like to go there.
What a great man! True inspiration!

Old 12th October 2019, 23:03   #248
Senior - BHPian

Not just the outcome, but the effort is EPIC. every single 5km section came up like clockwork in 14:10 or thereabouts. not human - he's a LOCOMOTIVE!

What a fantastic job! Truly admirable for every one of us, including non-runners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge smashes two-hour marathon barrier

In one his interviews, Eluid said that earlier people believed that this feat would be achieved by as late as 2075.
Just yesterday he tweeted : I don't know where the limits are, but I would like to go there.
What a great man! True inspiration!
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:55   #249
BHPian

Guys,

I am currently preparing for running 10km in the upcoming Amity Marathon,
It will be happening in Delhi NCR around February.

Need just a few pointers from Gurus here.

1. What are the type of shoes that you prefer for long-distance running?
2. What are your measures to counter sweat hindering your run?

Although the weather will be pleasant around that time,
but don't want to take any chances in my 1st ever marathon.

Looking forward!!!
Old 2nd January 2020, 18:25   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I was advised to use insoles for plantar fasciitis by an orthopedic and it helped. Used them for about 6 months till the pain disappeared. Now I just do exercises.
Coming to injury, my main suspect would be shoes and form. If your mileage is more, some people advise on having multiple pairs of the same shoes and rotate so as to give the shoes regain their composure after the hard run. Also, try to get a coach. There might be issues with your form which only a second person can notice and correct.
Thank you Jaguar.
I decided to put the insoles on a hold for the moment. Have been increasing my mileage slowly. I am currently at 5km in 27.xx minutes. My plan is to very slowly try and increase it to 10kms with same pace in the next 6-8 months. Feet has been holding up well for now. Hope it stays that way.
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:22   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Here (The Running / Marathon Thread) is some advice from earlier in this thread.
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:33   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
...running 10km...
2. What are your measures to counter sweat hindering your run?...
Looking forward!!!

Hi Nitish,

1. If you are new to running, I'd suggest pick any comfortable running shoe (I prefer Nike).
2. Start running a bit daily to build up your strength and stamina, and increase the distance each day.
3. Sweat hindering? I wore my Nike workout clothes: Tee and shorts and everything was wonderful. (Don't think too much about all these).

That said, 10km is literally like a walk in the park. I ran 10k in 2013 when I was unfit, and just "managed" it.
I ran 10k again in 2018, when fit, and it seemed like nothing. I could have have easily ran another 10k.
If you are in to HIIT, or cardio 10km will be easy, though running in altogether different thing than the gym, mind you.

Most importantly enjoy the marathon. Get a few friends to run along with you and it is pretty fun!

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 3rd January 2020 at 17:33. Reason: spacing
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 21:40   #253
Senior - BHPian

Running ruined my knees, says Tiger Woods.

The Running / Marathon Thread-img_20200504_213035.jpg

Source: Inshorts

As a recent convert to the pleasures of running and clocking almost similar weekly distance as him, Wood's statement bothers me a bit.

Can long-termers please comment on this.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 23:52   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprise surprise, elated to find a Marathon thread here.I have been running the TATA STEEL Kolkata TSK 25 for the past six years from 2014.Initially started with the 10K run and then moved over to the 25K ,skipped the last one due to injury. Was looking forward to join this year but i dont think the Marathon will be organised this year. Sporting events are in for a drastic change and i don't see the event happening this year at least. What's the view of the members here ? Do you guys think that Marathons will take place across the cities ??

Quote:
As a recent convert to the pleasures of running and cloaking almost similar weekly distance as him,Wood's statement bothers me a bit.
Well, in my personal view what Wood's said makes sense because he is a sportsman and he did that for his career which is not the case with you. I think an ametuer should not be running that much kms a week for that surely puts pressure onto the knee joints. It also depends on what speed you are running to cover the distance and what sort of post running cooling off exercises you are doing. I had made the mistake of running my first timed 10kms run with the perfect size shoe and i couldn't move my feet for the next 15 days! That's when i got to know that you should always wear a size larger when you run to avoid injuries. Strenous running is not advised for an ametuer and that much i am sure of. But yes, you can always run with decent speed and cover the same distance without putting too much pressure on your knees.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 4th May 2020 at 23:53.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 06:44   #255
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Any suggestions for a good fitness tracker for tracking runs and trainings?

I may not buy it immediately but would need one for sure. I have a Samsung galaxy Watch that I now realize is a good smart watch but falters when you want to use it as a fitness tracker.

It does the work for now but would definitely need something more dedicated for tracking runs, Interval trainings, Hill sprints etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Running ruined my knees, says Tiger Woods.

As a recent convert to the pleasures of running and clocking almost similar weekly distance as him, Wood's statement bothers me a bit.

Can long-termers please comment on this.
Not a long termer. But over the past year, running has really helped me a great deal. It is a fantastic stress buster, improved my over all health and surprisingly, my knee joints (which were always tender) feel much better. Ofcourse I also do not put together the miles as he claims to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

That's when i got to know that you should always wear a size larger when you run to avoid injuries. Strenous running is not advised for an ametuer and that much i am sure of. But yes, you can always run with decent speed and cover the same distance without putting too much pressure on your knees.
This is something new for me. Is it recomended to get a size larger even for your daily runs? Its time for me to replace my shoes that I bought from Decathlon. Intention is to buy from one of the other brands this time (Nike/Asics/Adidas etc)

Last edited by vibbs : 5th May 2020 at 07:06.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks