Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 23:02   #301
BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

How are its trail shoes?

Thanks.
I have not used the trail versions. The regular versions are definitely not recommended for trails. The sole provides no protection against thorns or sharp objects and will reduce the life of the soles very rapidly.
goacom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 14:54   #302
Team-BHP Support

Berlin Marathon: 2:01:09 and a new World Record.

Ellie Kipchoge: Take a bow!! This man truly is a living legend of the sport.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 18:33   #303
BHPian

Need some advice as I am a noob when it comes to running. I want to start running 5K and 10K runs. I am a 47 yr old, 65kg male who's not into exercising regularly, however I can do a 5K walk quite easily in around 55-60 mins. However running used to difficult and I used to pant a lot when I had tried. Lately I have tried practicing and am able to do 1-2 kms at a stretch without much panting than usual, however lately i seem to be experiencing a pain in the right knee. I've not had any major injuries in the past and I use Skechers GoRun for my runs. I am not sure if I should change my shoes for this. If yes, any budget options?

Also, at times when I run and brisk walk, I get a pain below the ribs on my right side. Not sure what causes it. I have been ignoring it, but does it have to do with hydration?
kalpeshc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 22:08   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Need some advice as I am a noob when it comes to running. I want to start running 5K and 10K runs. I am a 47 yr old, 65kg male who's not into exercising regularly, however I can do a 5K walk quite easily in around 55-60 mins. However running used to difficult and I used to pant a lot when I had tried. Lately I have tried practicing and am able to do 1-2 kms at a stretch without much panting than usual, however lately i seem to be experiencing a pain in the right knee. I've not had any major injuries in the past and I use Skechers GoRun for my runs. I am not sure if I should change my shoes for this. If yes, any budget options?

Also, at times when I run and brisk walk, I get a pain below the ribs on my right side. Not sure what causes it. I have been ignoring it, but does it have to do with hydration?
My goodness, it just sounds exactly like me. Age, weight, shoes and also the knee/rib pain, everything matches to the dot

After much googling and trying few things, which didn't work obviously, joined a running club/group. We had a coach and other experienced runners, who helped me out. Basically I needed a 360 degree approach. Which included stretches, core build, strength build, nutrition etc. For me the issues turned out to be minor in nature and vanished just about in a month.

Look around your neighbourhood for such clubs/groups.
dezpo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 11:58   #305
Senior - BHPian

Looking for some tips from the experts in this thread.

I am 44, 5'4 inch, 70 kg (6-7 kg overweight). However, I have been always a bit stocky in my built and active in different types of sports.
I have been running for the last 7-8 years but while I was regular during 2015-2016. I have been a bit irregular after that and again started regularly since July-2022.
Last month, I did my best 5KM at 28min 35sec.
My 10Km personal best is 58 min 20 sec.

I have a goal to achieve 5 km in 25 mins in 2023. I know it's going to be difficult.
Any suggestions on what can help me reach there?
Should I focus more on interval, or core training, long runs etc.?
I am reading different blogs over the internet, but, if anyone has done similar improvements personally, please share your experiences.
Old 12th February 2023, 15:48   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Lately i seem to be experiencing a pain in the right knee.
Hi Kalpesh, welcome to the world of running! Most of the people start Running because it is easy to start and it just need a pair of shoes and shorts. Most of the people withdraws because of the minor injuries as you mentioned.

Running needs three dimensions of fitness:
1. Strength
2. Mobility
3. Cardio

How do you achieve these? You have to perform exercises specific for these.

Strength training:

These helps to build muscles that indeed helps your running. You may refer link below for basic strength training exercises:

https://www.redbull.com/in-en/streng...-workout-guide

Mobility training:

These improves your flexibility and helps you to run with more ease.

https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...ster-mobility/

Cardio training:
Having a good lung capacity is must for a runner. Once you improves your lung capacity, you will be panting less. One of the easiest method to improve your lung capacity is interval training. Don't get puzzled by the term interval training. It is nothing but running in full speed for specific period of time or specific distance followed by a easy run or walk. You can start with 30s running and 30s walking. Later improve it by adding 30s in running time. Below link will give some idea:
https://www.runnerstribe.com/expert-...s-for-runners/

Each of these topics are very vast. Somehow we need to start with basics and keep improving.

Another most important component before and after running is stretching. Most of us gives least preference to this. But this is must do for a runner. Link below will give you some idea about pre-run and post run stretches.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/best-s...es-for-runners

Quote:
Also, at times when I run and brisk walk, I get a pain below the ribs on my right side.
When you are in this condition, you can try taking a deep breath using your nose and exhale fast using your mouth. Repeat this for quite a few times. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
We had a coach and other experienced runners, who helped me out. Basically I needed a 360 degree approach. Which included stretches, core build, strength build, nutrition etc. For me the issues turned out to be minor in nature and vanished just about in a month.
Sounds like you are a fellow Pacemaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I have a goal to achieve 5 km in 25 mins in 2023. I know it's going to be difficult.
Any suggestions on what can help me reach there?
Should I focus more on interval, or core training, long runs etc.?
All the three are important. Intervals and Hill repeats will definitely help you. All the best!
K_Drive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 17:40   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
however lately i seem to be experiencing a pain in the right knee. I've not had any major injuries in the past and I use Skechers GoRun for my runs. I am not sure if I should change my shoes for this.
Before anything else, see a physio. A knee pain (specially if on the outside of the knee, could be down to an ITB issue, which in turn is caused by tight hip flexors and tight glutes.

Let the physio diagnose what the issue is (if any) and prescribe specific strength workouts to deal with that.

Shoes are a secondary aspect, albeit important. The primary focus should not be brand based but first get a “reliable” running / gait analysis done which will determine your foot / arch type and also your pronation when you run. That in turn will guide what kind of shoe style will suit you best. Once you’ve established that, you can decide from which brand you want the shoe that offers the kind of support your running gait requires. ASICS does this analysis with a treadmill and some machines. Pay their store a visit perhaps.

If in doubt, start with neutral gait shoes from any good quality brand. You get so many big brands now in India - Brooks, Saucony, ASICS, Sketchers, Nike (list goes on) so the choices are fairly varied.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th February 2023 at 17:46.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 21:10   #308
BHPian

what is the best way to carry a phone while running and jogging ?

I will be starting running/jogging again after a break of few months. Can anyone please recommend any good armband for carrying a 6.7 inch phone (Moto G40 fusion).
Old 14th March 2023, 09:29   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to start running 5K and 10K runs. I am a 47 yr old, 65kg male who's not into exercising regularly,
As someone also in the 40s and who participates (in an amateur way) in a different sport that primarily has much, much younger participants, I can say that the most important thing is to set your own pace. Both literally, as in how fast you are comfortable covering distances, and in the long-term, as in your goals. While the 40s are certainly not old by any means, as amateur participants in our middle-age, injury prevention, recovery, and ensuring that we enjoy the activity for decades to come should be our main goals.

It's easy to get caught up in the peer group, but pacing ourselves against 20-year olds is a sure-fire way to get injured. I've seen those young buggers party all night, get up early the next morning, perform at a high level, and then continue as usual without any recovery time.

Initially I tried to match up and got injured frequently. Now I find that I need to plan my sessions, get enough sleep before and after, and stretch, warm up, and cool down gradually. Over time, performance matches up, the path is just different and a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
We had a coach and other experienced runners, who helped me out. Basically I needed a 360 degree approach.
Absolutely, more experienced people and participants around our own age will have many tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Before anything else, see a physio.
Again, yes. Usually it's just aches and pains because the muscles are getting used to activities that they haven't been used to doing before. And those go away. But better to check first and clear.

Last edited by am1m : 14th March 2023 at 09:59.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:48   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

I will be starting running/jogging again after a break of few months. Can anyone please recommend any good armband for carrying a 6.7 inch phone (Moto G40 fusion).
I’m not a fan of arm bands. All these can get uncomfortable. My preferred approach is using running shorts which have a tight compartment to slip a phone into. Try Athlos running shorts. They come with a compression inner and the inner compression layer has a compartment that can hold a phone tightly in place. I know it fits a reg size iPhone for sure. Not sure about the larger max size iPhone.

I love these shorts in particular because of their range of pockets. The inner can keep phone and its on both sides so you can also keep a hotel key card (if at a racing event) in a diff pocket than phone. Theres a zip pocket at back for car keys and the like. And there are two outside pockets where you can store some gels. And all designed in a way that doesn’t bounce or flap around while running.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 11:08   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Been running with an armband for over half a decade and extremely comfortable with armbands in all kinds of weathers.

Try this - it fits my Samsung S20FE comfortably.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B09NN9HJZJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 12:26   #312
BHPian

Though many feel that footwear and equipment play a crucial role in running, my experiences both during operational deployments as well as well as running for passionate reasons make me a firm believer that 'less is more'.
Once you achieve the correct running form, all you need is some nutrition and hydration.
Being ready to run at any point of time during the day or night is a state of mind we need to develop. The key is to run efficiently & effortlessly, at a pace that allows you to keep going on forever if you please (just like we cruise long distances without getting our vehicles overheated - 1800-2000rpm for diesels running 24x7) and doing so in a natural manner is important.
Run like children and run like you are at play.
Been a fantastic journey ever since I realised it. Now the journey is taking me the 'barefoot' way!
During the last 4 months, done 8 HMs for the fun of it, have another mountain run coming up and a 50K Ultra next in the hills at about 7000-7500 ft ASL. Will surely going to be fun.

Aptly put, try and realise how we run when we go barefeet. See how young kids run. Try replicating that posture and footstrike while in shoes. The moment you begin running under your hips, I can promise you, your pains will disappear. The bouncier the shoe, the greater the damage if you forget your natural running style for which our feet are naturally designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Before anything else, see a physio. A knee pain (specially if on the outside of the knee, could be down to an ITB issue, which in turn is caused by tight hip flexors and tight glutes.

Let the physio diagnose what the issue is (if any) and prescribe specific strength workouts to deal with that.

Shoes are a secondary aspect, albeit important. The primary focus should not be brand based but first get a “reliable” running / gait analysis done which will determine your foot / arch type and also your pronation when you run. That in turn will guide what kind of shoe style will suit you best. Once you’ve established that, you can decide from which brand you want the shoe that offers the kind of support your running gait requires. ASICS does this analysis with a treadmill and some machines. Pay their store a visit perhaps.

If in doubt, start with neutral gait shoes from any good quality brand. You get so many big brands now in India - Brooks, Saucony, ASICS, Sketchers, Nike (list goes on) so the choices are fairly varied.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th July 2023 at 16:08. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 15:51   #313
Senior - BHPian

All,

Need some suggestions on running shorts.
I have been using Truerevo shorts for a while, as they have a compression inner with a phone pocket but somehow I don't find them very comfortable. Any other good brands to try? Also, is it better to go for shorts with compression inner or normal ones without inner? Just to give a background - I run around 100 Km/month, most distances between 6km-10KM and sometimes a longer run (15Km or occasional half-marathon)

Btw, I am 45 and slightly overweight (2-3 kg) and have been running for a few years now. I had some injuries earlier (knee pain) but I have been able to avoid injuries for the last 2-3 years. I think my injury happened mainly due to trying to run fast.

So, I ensure the following now -
  • At least 10 min warm up, some stretching before run
  • Run at a slow, comfortable pace (on most days) and keep the stride length short. Longer strides lead to injury.
  • Avoid running on a downslope, I normally walk on the downslopes
  • Stretch after run for 5 min at least.

Once in a week or 2, I try to go for a faster run where obviously some of the above conditions are violated but that's ok I guess (I do warm up and stretching always)

On another note, I am trying to improve my 5K and 10k running times in 2023 -
My personal best so far for 5KM in 28:30 and 10KM is 58:40.
I want to improve to 27 min and 55 min respectively.
Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by adimicra : 25th July 2023 at 15:53.
Old 25th July 2023, 16:32   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
All,

Need some suggestions on running shorts.
I have been using Truerevo shorts for a while, as they have a compression inner with a phone pocket but somehow I don't find them very comfortable. Any other good brands to try? Also, is it better to go for shorts with compression inner or normal ones without inner?
Currently my ‘go to’ running shorts are the Distance running shorts from Athlos.

https://www.goathlos.com/products/di...40530795987033

I much prefer the compression shorts because you don’t need to wear anything underneath them and they feel nice and snug. Given the absence of a layer underneath means you’re well protected from chafing too.

Give these a go. They’re also the absolute best when it comes to storage. Having useful pockets that can accommodate gels, phone, keys and what not (within reason) without it dangling around thanks to its tight design for the pockets too.

Your 5k and 10k nos are reasonably respectable. Do try and introduce variety in your sessions like speedwork / tempo etc to move the needle on pace with plenty of zone 2 recovery to simultaneously build strength & endurance. Weight reduction and a couple of focussed strength sessions should help too.

These are very broad brush inputs of course. Perhaps even consider an online coach / off the shelf online plan to meet any distance or timing goals if you’re very focussed on these.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just realised I’ve written on these shorts earlier in March as well. You can also refer to post #310 above which largely echoes many of the same things although this post adds a few aspects.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th July 2023 at 16:34.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 11:11   #315
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks for your response..
I will definitely give these a try, seems lot of thought has gone into the design of the product though definitely expensive.
Have you tried their T-shirts? If yes, which ones - any recommendation would help.

About improving performance, I am trying to work on the points you mentioned.
I think reducing weight by 4-5 kgs will have a huge impact on my performance, will try to focus on that.

On the topic of injury prevention, I think doing some weight training focused on core strength would definitely help. Earlier, I didn't do much of weight training but now doing it 2-3 days a week. I think strong core would help in your running posture, improve performance and prevent injuries.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks