Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2017, 16:50   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Perfume/Cologne/Deodorant do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
You mean they do not last all day? Well, what I have observed is that these perfumes perform well for the first 3-4 hours and post that it is barely noticed unless someone comes really really close to you. I travel by local trains/rickshaws/buses - does this in any way reduce the effectiveness of perfumes?
Yes trains/rickshaws/buses would definitely reduce the effectiveness as you tend to have pollution thrown at you, mixture of smells in the air, claustrophobic environment etc.

Quote:
So the niche brands like Creed, Thierry Mugler last more than 3-4 hours?
Nope Creed Aventus doesn't have great performance either. Certain perfumes last long and some don't after the first 3-4 hours like you noted. No matter how expensive they are, there will always be amazing scents that simply don't last long enough.

Quote:
Many thanks for your suggestion! I have never received any compliments on my Chanel (apart from my wife).
That's odd I have recieved many compliments with Bleu de Chanel in the past. Perhaps the folks around you don't feel comfortable giving out free compliments as easily. It could also be due to the way you apply your perfume. I spray once behind each ear, once on the back of my neck, once on the front of my neck, once on each wrist and once on each shoulder (Need not do all of them but it is important to understand which ones count. Once on each side of the neck and on your shoulders is enough for most occassions) Spraying on the shoulders improves silage (projection) and if you haven't been doing so, people may not be able to smell your perfume when you walk past them. Another mistake many people do is to spray on the wrist and rub the wrists together. This is extremely bad and drastically reduces the perfumes life and impact. You're supposed to spray it on and leave it be letting your pulse spots gradually project it around you.

Bulgari Man is another great daily perfume which can be had for around 3-5k (100ml) that smells perfect but again doesn't perform well after 3-4 hours. Mont Blanc Individuel is a great daily as well. Not as perfectly blended as Bulgari Man or Bleu de Chanel, but fairly unique, and killer performance, can be found online for cheap (2k for 100ml). A bottle of Mont Blanc Individuel is always there in my collection since I find it to be absolute Value for Money considering it smells great (not excellent), smells unique (hard to come by at this price point) lasts long, and is so economical to buy. Buying a bottle of Individuel as your daily perfume and using Bleu de Chanel on occassions where you take a cab or go for special events, might prove very economic.

Quote:
My main purpose here is to try to get a feel of what people appreciate in perfumes. I was absolutely dumb in selecting watches but thanks to the awesome thread on Watches on this forum, I believe I have graduated from being a 'novice' to an 'average' level in terms of appreciating watches. I wish to get the same level of knowledge on perfumes from experts like you!
Thanks for the compliment I wouldn't call myself an expert as such but I have always loved perfumes. Some people like watches, others shoes, my passion apart from cars has always been scent. Ever since I was a kid I have found my sense of smell and taste to be more developed and stronger than most. Even now after years of smoking, it still remains that way and ever since I was young I've noticed how the way I smell has left a deeper impact on the people around me than even the way I dress, thus the passion.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th October 2017 at 16:59.
Old 19th October 2017, 17:21   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

It could also be due to the way you apply your perfume. I spray once behind each ear, once on the back of my neck, once on the front of my neck, once on each wrist and once on each shoulder (Need not do all of them but it is important to understand which ones count. Once on each side of the neck and on your shoulders is enough for most occassions) Spraying on the shoulders improves silage (projection) and if you haven't been doing so, people may not be able to smell your perfume when you walk past them.
Now this might be the reason. I never apply perfume on my shoulders. Also, I am told that perfume is not supposed to be applied on clothes but should be applied directly on skin.
Old 19th October 2017, 17:36   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now this might be the reason. I never apply perfume on my shoulders. Also, I am told that perfume is not supposed to be applied on clothes but should be applied directly on skin.
Yup if it is a strong concoction with lots of perfume oil or has a very deep yellow colour to it, it could stain your clothes. Also avoid putting it on whites. Otherwise it works perfectly for silage and also lasts longer on fabric than on your skin.
Old 19th October 2017, 18:25   #769
BHPian

Quote:
In my 28 years of existence, I have possessed a grand total of one perfume! I was never interested in applying perfume on myself. In fact the only perfume I have is a Blue de Chanel which was gifted to me by my wife!

Given my lack of enthusiasm and ignorance about the finer aspects of using perfumes, I see people here using brands which I have never even heard of. I just wanted to ask where do you buy perfumes from? I do not spot these brands (Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Creed Aventus, Thierry Mugler Angel Men) whenever I go to your usual Shoppers Stop/Lifestyle. Do you buy such brands from online websites? Also, how costly are these perfumes?

I would really like to try some of these brands, just so that I am not restricted to the usual brands!
Ishaan has already mentioned most of the things that I was about to when I read your post.

Would like to just also add, that the same perfumes can perform differently on different people. So if you smell something incredible on a person and get the same for yourself but there is a difference in the fragrance, it is quite natural. Body composition dictates a lot of it.

With regards to niche vs Designer, I agree the niche ones are not always worth it. But here of all places, like for cars, do we actually go for the most VFM option? I guess not , the heart rules the head. Same was for me for the Aventus. I really loved the fragrance and wanted it in my collection. The smell is amazing I would say, but the performance leads a lot to be desired for something that costs quite a bomb.

Whereas fragrances like Angel Men, YSL Kuoros, Paco Rabanne One Million are like beasts in performance and have excellent fragrance too, provided one knows the correct time/occasion to wear it on.

If I recall, I’ve never, and I’m serious, never used more than 2 sprays of either Angel Men or the Kuoros and they easily end up lasting about 10-12 hrs.

And both of them are not that expensive either. All three of them will cost you anywhere from 4.5k to 7k I guess. But the plus side is that they will last a long long time.

And just as a parting note, I absolutely agree with Ishaan, that the scent that you wears leaves a longer impact on the people around you. And it kinda makes you feel awesome as well. Perfumery is very intricate, but I will definitely suggest you to get out there and give it a try. I can pm you a list of daily wear, comparatively inexpensive perfumes to get you started if you need?
Old 19th October 2017, 18:35   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....the only perfume I have is a Blue de Chanel ....like to try some of these brands, just so that I am not restricted to the usual brands!
Contrary to your single faithful bottle, I have tried over a dozen gifted and self-gifted brands but the BEST till date is my Blue De Chanel EDT, because its tough to find something similar or better ! It really keeps me fresh for over 8 hours (tried last week for a full day seminar). So, its a request, if you find something good enough in your search, please ping me or quote me, because I have stopped wasting money on such hunts The only closer one in terms of uniqueness was Escada Sentiment (the red longish bottle) but they don't produce it anymore.
Quote:
...I never apply perfume on my shoulders. Also, I am told that perfume is not supposed to be applied on clothes but should be applied directly on skin.
I spray on my palm and apply to the ears, side neck, direct spray to the knees and to armpit area of the shirt/Tshirt if the garment is darker shade. I also use a Dove Men+Care (US produce) deodorant stick which lasts hours. Either one of it or combo of both can not put you down even in the most humid conditions
Old 19th October 2017, 19:02   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Whereas fragrances like Angel Men, YSL Kuoros, Paco Rabanne One Million are like beasts in performance and have excellent fragrance too, provided one knows the correct time/occasion to wear it on.
So true. Time and Occasion matter a LOT especially with fragrances like One Million (it is one million season right now ). That and my bottles of Versace Eros and UltraMale (for the warmer months) are reserved for clubbing and night-time partying only. They smell so odd in any other setting. Occassion being one thing, time matters even more. When one wears a warm sweet nighttime winter fragrance on a hot summer's day in our country, it is such a crime IMO.

Heard a lot of good things about A*Men even the pure malt version, have you tried that one out? Found Kuoros to be a bit too old fashioned for my taste still love the brand YSL though mainly because of one of their creations; La Nuit De l'homme

Got any recommendation for women? Plan to buy my girlfriend something at the moment. Apart from some other very cliche'd smelling perfumes that I don't mind but don't really care for which I've smelt on many girls before, she uses my bottle of Bulgari au the Rouge (unisex) sometimes, apart from which she uses Viva La Juicy Sucre by Juicy Couture (love it on her), Dior Poison Girl and Dolce and Gabbana light blue. Getting a bit tired of the Light blue on her tbh.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th October 2017 at 19:13.
Old 19th October 2017, 23:52   #772
BHPian

Quote:
So true. Time and Occasion matter a LOT especially with fragrances like One Million (it is one million season right now ). That and my bottles of Versace Eros and UltraMale (for the warmer months) are reserved for clubbing and night-time partying only. They smell so odd in any other setting. Occassion being one thing, time matters even more. When one wears a warm sweet nighttime winter fragrance on a hot summer's day in our country, it is such a crime IMO.

Heard a lot of good things about A*Men even the pure malt version, have you tried that one out? Found Kuoros to be a bit too old fashioned for my taste still love the brand YSL though mainly because of one of their creations; La Nuit De l'homme

Got any recommendation for women? Plan to buy my girlfriend something at the moment. Apart from some other very cliche'd smelling perfumes that I don't mind but don't really care for which I've smelt on many girls before, she uses my bottle of Bulgari au the Rouge (unisex) sometimes, apart from which she uses Viva La Juicy Sucre by Juicy Couture (love it on her), Dior Poison Girl and Dolce and Gabbana light blue. Getting a bit tired of the Light blue on her tbh.

I have not tried the Pure Malt, but do plan on getting one soon. I'm thinking of getting the tobacco vanille before that.

Kuoros is a very peculiar one. If you see it's description on fragrantica, it says the main classification is "animalistic".
But I love it for those moments where nothing else will work.

For women, would suggest you try My burberry Black and CK Euphoria. Euphoria is one that every girl liked, CK Obsession is another nice one too.
Old 20th October 2017, 12:24   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Got any recommendation for women? ....
Gift her the Chanel N°5, its unique and luxurious. Beware of fakes in the market, try a duty free or exclusive shops. Dont trust online sellers.
Old 20th October 2017, 20:17   #774
Zed
BHPian

Interesting thread. T-Bhp is full of suprises. I stay with a specific brand for a couple of years atleast. Currently with Terre d'Hermes and its a fragrance that most men would find agreeable, at the very least. Women absolutely love this frangrance and Ive been compliemnted by stangers on more than one occassion
Old 31st October 2017, 18:31   #775
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the folks around you don't feel comfortable giving out free compliments as easily.
I use a Davidoff Cool Water, infact the bottle is kept in my office cabin itself. A colleague in my office complimented me for the fragrance, the first time someone has complimented me for a perfume! Unfortunately, wasn't a girl.He infact came all the way just to inquire the name of the perfume.
Paco Rabane is another perfume which i use occasionally. Have noted down some of the names of the perfumes which you've mentioned in your last couple of posts, will buy one when time permits.
Old 14th November 2017, 06:49   #776
BHPian

Quote:

Got any recommendation for women?
Try Burberry London. I gifted one recently to my wife. It costed around $50 for me here in US for a 50ml bottle. But worth the price. I bought the below one.

https://www.target.com/p/burberry-lo...41#lnk=sametab

As mentioned in previous posts, try to get it from a Duty free shop or a reputed seller. Most of the online shopping portals are selling duplicates. Even in US, there are lot of fakes running in market.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:09   #777
Senior - BHPian

I am using BRUT for almost 10 years. I have tried Fogg and AXE also, the aerosol can of Fogg are poorly designed and leaks a lot. AXE does not last as long as BRUT.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:21   #778
Senior - BHPian

My mini collection. A couple of them are not there like Davidoff Hot Water, a Lacoste and 212 Men. My Favorite though is the Essenza Mikkel. I use the deo for it as well.

Which Perfume/Cologne/Deodorant do you use?-img_20170619_133342.jpg
Old 21st December 2017, 12:06   #779
BHPian

again packed some goodies from Mustafa @ Singapore:

Which Perfume/Cologne/Deodorant do you use?-tbhp-perfume-pic.jpg

the prices here are really attractive (very less compared to typical shops or duty free stores), and some nice combo deals. I even claimed some GST refund at airport, wow!

regards,
Pranav
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:57   #780
BHPian

Have been using the KS Urge deo and must say pretty impressed

Nice soothing smell all day

The other ones which i wear regularly on me are Guilty by Gucci and Light Blue by D&G

Most Viewed