Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 11:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
1) I stutter in both English and Hindi, equally badly. My stutter is like a sine curve, there are days when I am totally fluent, and there are days when I can't get a word outta my mouth without stuttering. It is more pronounced under pressure conditions, and while talking to new people and authority figures. It is at it's worst while talking to my ma-in-law ;-)

2) Stuttering is a vicious circle, people stutter most when they try too hard not to stutter. I am most comfortable with my wife, my family, my friends. I know that they know that I stutter; so there is no pressure on me to be fluent, and therefore I am at my most fluent with them.
1) Yes, some days we are fine, but suddenly things go bad. Luckily I am not married!

2) Exactly, I am very comfortable only with my parents. Everyone else, I am not comfortable. The best solution that comes, is to speak less and conserve energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I think people do stop on some words starting with r, s, o, e, k, t
Try practicing the words which have such starting. It will help you to sort out to some extent
Excellent observation. Add the word A for me. Sometimes I cant even speak my name " Abhinav ".
And practice does little help. This problem just happens.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have received some PMs from covert stutterers, who have asked me not to divulge their names on the forum, I wonder why. But not many replies on this thread from somebody who says - yes, I stutter.
Its simple really. Somebody who stutter feels very conscious about it. Moreover popular media(movies etc.,) make a joke out of it. People who have this problem are made fun of in the movies, and are usually comic characters(usually played by shakti kapur).
Moreover in school and friends circle(esp in school), stutterers are made fun of and are also the butt of all jokes.
So somebody who has gone through all this will not come forward to admit it. Its really sad, but the the fact is that in our culture(popular culture or otherwise), disability is something to be made fun off
Old 8th January 2009, 11:38   #18
BHPian

I do it sometimes when I am very angry mean fighting with someone verbally
10 to 12 years back I had a habit to pause on some letters i had quoted earlier. I tried finding replacement of the words and practiced the words which start with these letters by speaking loud that too when i was cycling to school (3 KM stretch). Almost it is disappeared but only comes when I loose my temper. I recommend to find which letters you stuck and then try to find common words you use with those letters and try to speak loud may be while driving or sitting idle etc. It will definitely improve
Old 8th January 2009, 12:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Moreover in school and friends circle(esp in school), stutterers are made fun of and are also the butt of all jokes.
Thankfully I never had to face this. Nobody ever made fun of my stuttering in school and college, or anywhere else.

\N
Old 8th January 2009, 12:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I do it sometimes when I am very angry mean fighting with someone verbally
It's the exact opposite with me. I am very fluent when angry :-)

Quote:
I recommend to find which letters you stuck and then try to find common words you use with those letters and try to speak loud may be while driving or sitting idle etc. It will definitely improve
For me there are no easy or tough words. When I am fluent I am fluent for all words, and when I am going through one of bad days, I block on almost all words.

\N
Old 8th January 2009, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, the idea was to meet other stutterers on t-bhp and form groups which can meet and share notes on various techniques they use. But all I've received here is advice and more advice (thanx guys), but no replies from other stutterers.

\N
haha....apologies for the unsolicited advice... and yes..i do stutter... tho not frequently. only when am angry, or talking abt something which am passionate about...(i just get carried away...i guess)
But I just keep talking, making it a point to focus on my thoughts rather than the stutter
and i feel....having a meet with people who stutter..will just put us in our comfort zone.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So somebody who has gone through all this will not come forward to admit it. Its really sad, but the the fact is that in our culture(popular culture or otherwise), disability is something to be made fun off
I have faced this since childhood. Feel helpless in that situation and it is rather a very depressing moment.
Old 8th January 2009, 18:15   #23

Ya, I Am A Stutterer.
I developed this only after 5th standard and it increased after 11th standard.
And now, I am one yr experienced in a reputed(May not be tomorrow) IT company. Anyway, I had many hurdles to jump on.

I faced ridicule many a time, even in the training i attended in the company.
The main thing is, i suffer to say my name in the public, 'Sivakumar'.

But, things are like that, we cant change. Live with that.
Buying tickets in the bus is a big issue for me.
But i stutter comparatively less in English.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:39   #24
BHPian

Siva i think you also get stuck on some letters like s,r,o,t etc. If yes try to practice this loud really it will help to some extent. Also rather than saying sivakumar say in short SIVA or put H and say SHIVA so with this pronunciation will change and guess this will help you
Old 9th January 2009, 10:48   #25

Quote:
Siva i think you also get stuck on some letters like s,r,o,t etc. If yes try to practice this loud really it will help to some extent. Also rather than saying sivakumar say in short SIVA or put H and say SHIVA so with this pronunciation will change and guess this will help you
Exactly, for the past 3 to 4 months, i have started to say my name as Shiva, which is pretty easier. And i mix up languages when i speak which proves good. And i have to practice more, am scared about life after marriage and children. Lots more to handle. Anyway, I have(will) do that.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheem View Post
Exactly, for the past 3 to 4 months, i have started to say my name as Shiva, which is pretty easier. And i mix up languages when i speak which proves good. And i have to practice more, am scared about life after marriage and children. Lots more to handle. Anyway, I have(will) do that.
You will see you will experience this very less with your wife and kids as you would be most comfortable with them. Keep practicing and i think you will be able to thrash more than 80 to 90 percent of it. Yes sometime it will become worse but most of the time it would be better
Old 9th January 2009, 11:40   #27

Quote:
You will see you will experience this very less with your wife and kids as you would be most comfortable with them. Keep practicing and i think you will be able to thrash more than 80 to 90 percent of it. Yes sometime it will become worse but most of the time it would be better
ya, thanks. will try it out.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:55   #28
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Recently few of us stutterers have formed TISA (The Indian Stammering Association). TISA have city-wise self-help groups, to help stutterers.

To co-ordinate the help group activities and to make a centralized repository of resources related to stutterering, TISA have created a web site - Welcome to The Indian Stammering Association.

If you are a stutterer or anyone in your family or friends is one, do visit this site. You'll certainly find it helpful.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 9th February 2010, 10:47   #29
BHPian

Hi,

The Indian Stammering Association (TISA) is organizing a public awareness initiative in collaboration with British Stammering Association (BSA) on stammering in India in February 2010. Mr Keith Boss from BSA is visiting India in February 2010. He is a board trustee of the British Stammering Association (BSA), board director of the International Stuttering Association (ISA) and Chair of ISA Outreach. His mandate is to raise awareness about stammering in society, in collaboration with TISA.

His program is as follows:

At Delhi:
13th Feb (Sat): Informal Interaction with PWS, their families, friends, speech therapists etc.
14th Feb (Sun): YWCA, 9.30 am- Conference on stammering and approaches to self therapy.
15th Feb (Mon): Extra Activities and evening flight to Pune
(Contact in Delhi: Nitin - 09818350799; Karan- 9811271191)

At Pune:
16th Feb (Tue): Extra Activities in Pune, with Surat & Mumbai SHG members
17th Feb (Wed)- One day conference at Pune (Infosys or TCS?):
18th Feb (Thurs)- Extra Activities and evening flight to Chennai
(Contact Pune: Jai Prakash- 08149106117)

At Chennai
19th Feb (Fri) –Extra activities with Chennai , Banglore & Hyderabad SHG members
20th 21st Feb (Sat, Sun)- One day conference at Chennai (YWCA):
22nd Feb (Mon): Morning flight to Dehradun
(Contact Chennai: Mr Mani Maran- 09884289989)

At Dehradun / Herbertpur
22nd to 24th Feb (Mon,Tues, Wed): Samagra in Dehradun, then to Herbertpur for two days; Meeting with School staff; Public meeting at Anugrah (Dehradun)
25th Feb (Thur): Extra Activities and evening train to Delhi; and fly to London
(Contact Dehradun: Sachin- 09412058272)

All of you stammerers or non-stammerers are welcome to join us in the conference. For more details, visit Welcome to The Indian Stammering Association.

Regards

Nitin

P.S. Read about us in today's Mint - http://www.livemint.com/stammering.htm

Last edited by ntomer : 9th February 2010 at 10:59.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:33   #30
BHPian

@ntomer I feel your pain. The way you've described your symptoms, you and me suffer from EXACTLY the same type of stammering / stuttering.

I have good speech days, very good ones at that, but the bad days, are the worst. On a typical bad speech day, I stutter I think 4-5 words average per sentence. It leads to frustration, causing more stuttering. I have improved over the years, but the bad speech days are still pretty much there.

And how I regret missing out the Informal Interaction. How was it?

Last edited by nutcracker : 3rd March 2010 at 16:36.

Most Viewed