Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2005, 23:57   #16
BHPian

I agree with what most have said above. an example of what I consider nonsense on a forum meant for cars and things connected to automobiles was the thread started on 3 letters that needed to be posted by members so that it would develop into a story of some kind. i mean - come on guys.
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All the off-topic threads are restricted to a separate section that can be ignored by the members at their choosing.
While you are partially correct, the problem, as Nitroxx as well as other members have noted, is that when you log back in after a week or maybe a month, click on "New Posts" and the screen fills up with a load of really off topic, off humour threads, it gets you thinking.

This is just a wake up call to re-evaluate the priorities here. Lets have fun, but lets not forget the main reason all of us joined in the first place.
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

ok so why dont we have a chat room.thereby all the meaningless/chta posts will reduce automatically and good filtration will be done
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

because, if we open a chat room, everything will be discusssed there and nobody would really want to start threads. Human nature is like electricity I guess, takes the path of least resistance!

Besides, just invite who you want to chat with to YIM or MSN.
Old 22nd April 2005, 11:07   #20
BHPian

This is something like dont talk ;but talk. If we have to invite person to chat rooms in msn and ICQ why do we need Tbhp for?? and fear all the time that we will get banned if we dont listen to mods. I feel this is a elementary standard class room. and how many times you bann a guy, he will come back with a different name. who can stop

Last edited by west : 22nd April 2005 at 11:11.
Old 22nd April 2005, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
I feel this is a elementary standard class room. and how many times you bann a guy, he will come back with a different name. who can stop
Partial solution is banning the IP.

I think, Moderators are doing great job here and are actually serious about sticking to the rules of the forum. People are often warned and only occasionally banned (like Shan2nu's bichhadaa huva bhai).

@samurai, I only partially agree with you. People tend to socalize, which is alright, but it should not be at the expense of losing credibility of the forum. If one finds lot of unnecessary information, it simply puts him/her off. We should, nevertheless, stick with automobile related topics (Well! mostly :-) ). This is what the forum is meant for.
Old 22nd April 2005, 13:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
This is something like dont talk ;but talk. If we have to invite person to chat rooms in msn and ICQ why do we need Tbhp for??
Thats exactly what we are trying to stress here. The talk that goes on on TBHP should be useful, educational & interesting for everyone to read. Unlike a MSN chat session, these posts get archived and can be used as a huge wealth of knowledge for other members, and that is exactly why people should refrain from diluting that knowledge with posts that lack any substance.

Quote:
and fear all the time that we will get banned if we dont listen to mods. I feel this is a elementary standard class room.
When people act like elementary kids you have no choice but to treat them like elementary kids.

Quote:
and how many times you bann a guy, he will come back with a different name. who can stop
Name one time that has happened so far.....?

cya
R
Old 22nd April 2005, 18:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

guys
this a place where car nuts come to discuss and basically chill out, so some humour and fun do everyone good.
if this became a serious place,how would you expect the members to bond up? over an online glass of beer?
threads like the three letter word and all,help close knit/bond up the members.

if you dont wanna read them,just dont

i LOVE teambhp the way it is.and after a hard day,all i wanna do is log on to it.
Old 22nd April 2005, 21:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Name one time that has happened so far.....?

cya
R
CLUB HONDA and TWISTER

I think that the mods are doing a damn good job though they should be given sections to moderate. For example moderator x moderates shifting gears.Also the mods are a tad bit too strict though this might be necessary with such a big community.though the first time u get a warning u get taken aback a bit. anyways the forum rules!!!!!
Old 22nd April 2005, 23:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

All the members are expected to have read the Rules section before they start posting on the forum. We all work under extremely tight schedules, and you have to understand that it's impossible for us to devote infinite time cleaning up the board, so warnings often are the only solution.

Also, when particular Mods are allotted particular sections, what happens to the section when the specific Mod is busy?
Old 23rd April 2005, 12:52   #26
BHPian

i hold team bhp and its mods in very high esteem coz to manage such a wonderful and informative site is no mean task.

all the mods have lot of other things to do in their respective life other then moderating team bhp but still they do an excellent job coz they live, dream, eat, drink tbhp.

every site has a different set of rules and regulations and i think at tbhp they are perfectly alright. even when some of my posts or threads were closed or locked i used to feel a bit down but then with proper interaction with the mods i felt that this is quite neccessary for the forum to remain one of the best in automobile world.

in fact with my experience whenever the mod has closed or locked the thread they have sent a pm to the member explaining his the reason for the same. if a mod inspite of all his business, can do this, it is surely a good gesture towards the member.

my overall feeling is that a forum is a forum and it should remain so. a chat room will spoil the essence of the forum.

shubbhi
Old 26th April 2005, 07:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
All the members are expected to have read the Rules section before they start posting on the forum. We all work under extremely tight schedules, and you have to understand that it's impossible for us to devote infinite time cleaning up the board, so warnings often are the only solution.

Also, when particular Mods are allotted particular sections, what happens to the section when the specific Mod is busy?
Just a suggestion...

Why can't the first(maybe even second ) warning be given privately?

The errant can be sent a PM or email, and given the option of editing his post himself.

Obviously if they act wierd, next steps can be taken.

I think a public warning to a newbie will make it hard for him to continue...

The point that a public warning will prevent others from doing a similar offence doesn't seem to be happening.
With the number of public warnings going around

Just my two cents
Old 26th April 2005, 07:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc
The point that a public warning will prevent others from doing a similar offence doesn't seem to be happening.
With the number of public warnings going around
So how does a pm help? You expect them to act in a different manner if they get it as a pm?
Old 26th April 2005, 08:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
So how does a pm help? You expect them to act in a different manner if they get it as a pm?
I think he is refering to the principle of Praise publicly, Reprimand privately. I have to agree with that. A private warning won't result in a loss of face for the member, where as a public warning does.
Old 26th April 2005, 10:02   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why can't the first(maybe even second ) warning be given privately?
Done. The first warning will be delivered privately, henceforth

Thank you for your suggestion, Epyupc

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks