Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2005, 17:50   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do's and dont's on a forum like ours

Guyz I've logged in after about 1 month,read through quite some stuff, just wondering if you guys would like to share your opinions on what can make this forum a litlle more worth while..

for starters atleast i think talking about others achievements more than your own and giving a whole load of crap isn't very happening for a great forum don't you think? So lets get together and put on our thinking caps for a while.. what say, do we? need help...
Old 20th April 2005, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

didnt quite get what you meant to say?
could u explain more clearly please
Old 20th April 2005, 19:21   #3
BHPian

What?? I have no idea what you just said nitroxx.
Who is talking about whose achievements?
Please elaborate.
Old 20th April 2005, 19:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx
for starters atleast i think talking about others achievements more than your own and giving a whole load of crap isn't very happening for a great forum don't you think?
Didin quite get the point buddy ...What kind of achievements??
Old 20th April 2005, 20:09   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

What I get is!...
Firstly You wants a cleaner and more organised forum
Secondly you want people talk about their own experiences with own cars.

If this is what u meant... then I'd say
Its a discussion forum, not an indexed book. Discussion forums are supposed to be like this only!
I believe people should share whatever they know or as much as they can share irrespective of the fact that it might contain experiences of some third party.
Old 20th April 2005, 20:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a discussion forum, not an indexed book. Discussion forums are supposed to be like this only!
I beg to differ. Discussion forums are meant to share information, yes. Information that you are aware of, certainly. But any information for the sake of sharing it, sorry but no.

CNN recently did a story on blogs and forums. Their conclusion? Be safe and be sensible of what you type on a blog. Cuz its stored. And a saved item typed by one can be used later on by someone else to cause you trouble. Remember, its documented, so the onus of what you type is still on you. Infact some kind of self-censorship is better than just typing what pleases you. It is surely a conversation, but while oral conversations between people aren't generally saved or can be easily proven, this can.

Better be safe than sorry.

Revv
Old 20th April 2005, 21:27   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Information that you are aware of, certainly. But any information for the sake of sharing it, sorry but no.
of course!
I am talking about sharing knowledge!... you are talking about privacy!!.. there's no linkage!

How much 'crap' is there on this site? I think its quite clean!! (might be wrong!!)
Old 20th April 2005, 23:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about sharing knowledge!... you are talking about privacy!!.. there's no linkage!
Read again. There is no mention of privacy. It is a fact. People consider a blog or a forum as a place to share information/problems/solutions. But people get emotional as well. That is not being private anymore. That is bringing one's private moments as well as idiotic behaviour into public domain.

Get this, the net is a repository of everything you type on it. My point is, if you type with gay abandon, without any kind of responsibility, it might come back to haunt you. The law has its interpretations. Its better to type sensibly than spend time cooling your heels behind bars. What seems like innocent behaviour can sometimes take an ugly turn.

As far 'crap' on this site is concerned, it is subjective. Nitroxx out here felt that there has been some deterioration in quality. You think otherwise. To each his own.

Revv
Old 20th April 2005, 23:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
CNN recently did a story on blogs and forums. Their conclusion? Be safe and be sensible of what you type on a blog. Cuz its stored. And a saved item typed by one can be used later on by someone else to cause you trouble. Remember, its documented, so the onus of what you type is still on you. Infact some kind of self-censorship is better than just typing what pleases you.
I can give you some first hand info on this. I started posting in Internet forums way back in 1993, on usenet newsgroups like soc.culture.india, alt.culture.karnataka, etc. There you can't hide your email address and there wasn't any web based emails to be used as junk email address. Heck, there was no world wide web then. Now if I search my old email address in google, I can retrieve most of the messages I posted between 1993-95. That's scary.
Old 21st April 2005, 00:15   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, we are going off topic!...
You are looking at from the point of view of the person who posts it! And I am looking from a reader's point of view.

But never mind let nitroxx first clarify what he actually meant!
Old 21st April 2005, 10:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Basically, do not use this forum as a chat room. Period.
Old 21st April 2005, 21:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Absolutely.

Everything typed here gets archived, and if it doesnt have the informational substance to make it worth being archived then you shouldnt be typing it.

cya
R
Old 21st April 2005, 22:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Exactly...if you really have some info that can be useful to somebody or the other post it, but there is absolutly no point posting for the sake of posting and just increasing the number below you avtaar.
Old 21st April 2005, 22:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly...if you really have some info that can be useful to somebody or the other post it, but there is absolutly no point posting for the sake of posting and just increasing the number below you avtaar.
very true...er i just did that
Old 21st April 2005, 23:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
It is not as simple as that. In the past 12 years I have been in numerous Internet forums, although I have never done chat, I find it very difficult to post meaningful articles in real time. In my observations in various forums, I have always noticed a pattern. Once a virtual community has been built, members recognise each other by handles and know each others by their online personality. After that members would like to socialize and indulge in off-topic discussion to fill the lull periods.

Consider your work place, once you get to know your colleagues, you don't restrict yourself to only work conversations, you often tend to talk about things other than work. If you restrict the members from talking about other things then it will create a lull when nobody has anything useful to contribute. The Internet forums are popular because it lets members virtually hang out and post their instant thoughts. However we should not let this white noise affect the S/N ratio of the forum. This is usually achieved by restricting the off topic subjects under a separate section, just like it is done in Team-BHP.

In other words we have nothing really to worry about. This forum is moderated very well and the moderators are super alert about any rule breaking. All the off-topic threads are restricted to a separate section that can be ignored by the members at their choosing.

Most Viewed