Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 20:48   #826
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Incident 2

I was in institute campus doing my masters somewhere around 2015-16. Now our campus is one of the best looking campuses in India with lush green forests as well as hills within the campus boundaries. However, this also comes with its own disadvantages - there are a number of wild animals roaming free inside the campus including foxes, leopards and of course snakes! and we have to be extra careful during night.

So, it was autumn (again) and I was on my bicycle to one of the gates to have my evening cup of tea. It was dusk and the sun was just setting in the west which along with the clouds presented an excellent display of colours in the evening sky. As I was basking in the natural beauty I felt something cold flickering around my wrist. When I looked down, it was a heart in my mouth situation. A big skink was hitchhiking a ride on the handle bar, wagging its tail in delight .

Incident 3

This happened with my uncle. He took my father's 1962 Vespa 150 to some villager's home. Now, the Vespa has an open basket fitted just below the handle bar to carry knick-knacks . While returning it was dusk and my uncle rode 2-3 km and then realized that a huge cobra is riding shotgun in the basket. He immediately jumped from the scooter which crashed by the roadside. My uncle was unscathed but the Vespa was not so luck and lost its front fender.

Incident 4

One of my father's friends had a baffling problem with his Bajaj Super 150. The scooter would start but automatically switch off after 2 mins of idling. He consulted almost all mechanics in my town but no one could solve his problem. At last my father decided to take matters into his own hand and asked him to bring the scooter to our home one Sunday. My father checked the carburetor, spark plug, etc. but could find no problem with the scooter. Finally when he checked the air intake he was dumbfounded. A huge cobra had made its home at the air intake choking the passage . It was allowed to escape with full dignity and a lesson was also learnt in process.
Akash.D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 20:48   #827
BHPian

Hello members!
Can someone help me identify which snake this is and whether it is poisonous or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img20200910wa0017.jpg  

Old 10th September 2020, 22:06   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Hello members!
Can someone help me identify which snake this is and whether it is poisonous or not?
Looks like a Common Krait to my eyes, and that is very poisonous. The location of the snake in the image gives me the shivers !
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 22:08   #829
BHPian

It is rat snake. Small head and long tails.
sj_koova is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 11:14   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Looks like a Common Krait to my eyes, and that is very poisonous. The location of the snake in the image gives me the shivers !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
It is rat snake. Small head and long tails.
Yes, I too think it is a Krait from matching images on google. The tail is longer than a rat snake's and the print is very similar to a Krait's.
The location of the snake gave me shivers as well. It was in a friend's bedroom whose apartment is on the 3rd floor (stilt +3 style apartments) and he had a close shave with it!
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:27   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Yes, I too think it is a Krait from matching images on google. The tail is longer than a rat snake's and the print is very similar to a Krait's.
The location of the snake gave me shivers as well. It was in a friend's bedroom whose apartment is on the 3rd floor (stilt +3 style apartments) and he had a close shave with it!
It is not a krait.....very much a rat snake. a juvenile rat snake.
Amsdoc is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:49   #832
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it's most probably a rat snake. A krait has much more distinct rings like this.
Snakes!-krait.jpg

Is it wrapped around a bed post ?
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 21:44   #833
Senior - BHPian

This guy came in front of my bicycle today. He was trying to cross the road but decided to turn back after seeing me.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img_20200917_214345.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:41   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
This guy came in front of my bicycle today.
Yellow rat snake ?

This was in Kerala ? I have had quite a few hair-raising experiences of snakes
on the road while cycling in Kerala. Since I usually cycle late evenings & road
lighting is poor, would see them only at the last moment & would lift up my legs in panic.
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:36   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, it's most probably a rat snake. A krait has much more distinct rings like this.
Attachment 2054587

Is it wrapped around a bed post ?
Thanks for the clarification. When I searched for rat snake on google, I couldn't find any photo that resembled the snake in my picture and so thought that it is a krait.

Yes it is wrapped around a bed post.
Old 24th September 2020, 14:39   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yellow rat snake ?

This was in Kerala ? I have had quite a few hair-raising experiences of snakes
on the road while cycling in Kerala. Since I usually cycle late evenings & road
lighting is poor, would see them only at the last moment & would lift up my legs in panic.
Yes, it is rat snake. Very common in Kerala, isn't it?
Old 24th September 2020, 14:58   #837
Senior - BHPian

I had a close encounter when I was in Goa once. Me and my friend drove to a secluded beach from Anjuna. While driving back, I wanted to pillion ride for a while and asked my friend to drive the bike instead. I stopped the bike, was just getting down and there was this green slim snake right from a tree nearby that crawled super fast right between the two wheels of the bike. My friend freaked out so badly, he kept shivering all the way back to the hotel. While I do not know (still yet) if they are poisonous, my friend told me that they indeed are and he freezes by looking at a snake.

There were quite a few in our campus in boarding school. It was a hilly area so we saw the cobras the most.
Old 27th September 2020, 11:53   #838
BHPian

Can anyone identify this snake? Appears to be a Krait to me.

Snakes!-img20200927wa0000.jpg

This pic was sent by a colleague of mine. The snake slithered it's way into his home at night and met its end.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:02   #839
Team-BHP Support

Could be wolf snake too. Only an expert can make out the difference between them.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:56   #840
BHPian

Really scary to find such uninvited guests in ones' car.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img20201010wa0024.jpg  

VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks