Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 12:52   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Saw this baby snake in the temple today, it was very aggresive. Suspect its a baby krait, not really sure, any ideas. Anyway its looks dangerous, even though is a small one.
I think this is a wolf snake. Non venomous
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 21:04   #932
Team-BHP Support

We had an awareness program on Snakes at my apartment complex.

This was an awesome experience with most of the participants beings kids. They showed up a lot of non-venomous snakes and 2 venomous snakes.

I think this is something that must be encouraged a lot more to sensitize our urbanized kids about the importance of the "Farmers Friends".

Snakes!-c2.jpg

Snakes!-c3.jpg

Snakes!-c4.jpg

Snakes!-c5.jpg

Snakes!-c7.jpg
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 23:43   #933
BHPian

A motorcycle rider found a 2 feet krait(guess was a common krait going by the stripes which were far apart and dark brown colour which looked almost black in the low light) trying to climb towards my bike parking. By the time I could find a snake catchers number and call him the snake slid away into the bushes. Luckily for the snake its savan season thus nobody tried to kill it. Took a pic but it was dark and the pic came out quite blurry to be of any use.
Old 19th December 2022, 15:58   #934
BHPian

This is the real blockbuster!!

A sizeable king cobra in the engine bay of a small Tata Punch in Wayanad in Kerala. The residents initially thought it to be a rat snake , and apparently didn't bother. These kings are generally known to avoid us, but here..

Being in an area where cobras and vipers thrive, I always exercise caution while opening the bonnet, let alone approaching the car, and make sure that my feet is always a little away from alloys and panel openings. The viper types can stay elusive despite movements around them and can literally jump to inflict a fatal bite. But something like this will reward me with the shock of my life!

I even make a prudential check at the bottom part of my office chair every morning, and some colleagues tease me.

Happy to see the king compassionately rescued and rehabilitated, kudos to the team.
Nalin Kumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 16:38   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
This is the real blockbuster!!

A sizeable king cobra

Happy to see the king compassionately rescued and rehabilitated, kudos to the team.
Surprised to see them use a cloth covered pvc pipe (?) for it to slither into safely. Unlike the reality snake catchers on history channel putting snakes into a cloth bag (more risky).
Old 19th December 2022, 20:26   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
I am amazed to see how they bagged that snake!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 13:19   #937
BHPian

Any idea on this Snake in our apartment. Sorry it was too dark for me to take a correct picture.

This one has been living in our apartment complex for sometime, but today it was on the lift door and nearly fell down on a person when they opened the door
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-0bfa191df0e14e7a9a66f27275497227.jpeg  

Snakes!-fec59e8015374722a7172c7f72a92db2.jpeg  

Old 15th January 2023, 14:20   #938
Team-BHP Support

It looks like a rat snake, if this is from India. But your location says St Louis, MO.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 14:41   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It looks like a rat snake, if this is from India. But your location says St Louis, MO.

Thanks Samurai San I moved back to Chennai a while ago. Will update location. Non venomous right?
Old 24th January 2023, 07:14   #940
Senior - BHPian

Saw this while clearing a plot. Are they snake eggs?

They are around 3.5-4 cm long and 2.5 cm dia.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img_20230123_175929.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 24th January 2023 at 07:40.
Old 24th January 2023, 08:50   #941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Thanks Samurai San I moved back to Chennai a while ago. Will update location. Non venomous right?
My grandmother used tell me that rat snake bite has no cure, it used to terrify me as a child, making me keep my distance from rat snakes while roaming the woods. Yes, it may sound strange to modern parents, but in the 70s it was not odd for a 7-8 year old kid to roam the woods un-supervised.

Somewhere in highschool I read a book from Romulus Whitaker, and realised my grandmother had tricked me. She was right, rat snake bite has no cure, because it needs no cure. At most you may get an infection from an unhygienic rat snake.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 09:52   #942
BHPian

Was moving around in Pondicherry around New Year, when this snake came onto the road from the divider.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-screenshot_2023_0124_095052.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:53   #943
BHPian

This baby snake greeted me in a January morning on opening the front door of our ancestral home in a small town near Kolkata (ref. the date). Apparently it was lodged on the latch outside, and dropped on opening the door. Was surprised to see it in winter -- never saw snakes in ~10C - 12C kind of temperature! It was happy to slither back into the garden on release.

Any ID from the experts? Thanks. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo snapped in a hurry by a phone that could be grabbed the quickest.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-snake-_20230117_074244.jpg  

meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:18   #944
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a wolf snake, quite harmless.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:51   #945
Senior - BHPian

My 6 year old son is on a snake love spree along with trucks, dinos and fishes.

Recently got him a King Cobra plush toy from Wild Republic and he sleeps with it

So as a surprise took him to this Snake Park in Trivandrum:

Snake Park
FXRF+MX4, Govt. Ayurveda College, Poojapura, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala

Google reviews were all mixed up with reviews of the snake park of the Trivandrum Zoo and a famous snake park way up in Kannur also getting reviewed in this.

The entry fee was Rs.5/- and the snakes were all in small front glass enclosures. Some of the snakes on display were:

Rat snakes
Wolf snakes
Cat Snakes
Keelbacks
Rock pythons
Cobra
Golden cobra (that was a rarity for me)
Green tree vine snake
Russel's Vipers

What was funny was that all the snakes had little chicks (as feed?) but even for small juvenile snakes the chicks were roaming around inside and were making quite the racket.

They were also breeding rabbits in cages and man did the place smell!

There was a snake pit, poorly maintained with lot of cobras and you guessed it, chicks! And a separate enclosure for a few large pythons.

All in all, a bad experience for me seeing the snakes kept in such bad conditions but my son had a blast. We were the only ones present and he took his time looking at each snake again and again.

Hope this little review belongs in this thread
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed