Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 15:15   #991
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

According to one of the interviews given by the famous "snakemaster" Vava Suresh (of kerala), one simple and cheap way to keep away snakes are to pour some kerosene along the entry points or the compound walls. This smell is a good deterrent. But one needs to do this once in 10 days or so to keep the smell strong..

This guy (vava Suresh) is simply amazing. You can see many of his videos on youtube.

some of his videos. (the conversation is mostly only in malayalam, but it is actions speak better than words! :-))

haria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 11:46   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
According to one of the interviews given by the famous "snakemaster" Vava Suresh (of kerala), one simple and cheap way to keep away snakes are to pour some kerosene along the entry points or the compound walls. This smell is a good deterrent. But one needs to do this once in 10 days or so to keep the smell strong..
I doubt the smell would stay for 10 days, we have tried it, dosent work for so long however if you have spotted a snake recently and want to drive it out of its hiding then it works, we have used kerosene and also Phenyl to drive out snake hiding around in difficult to reach areas, once pored snakes come out of hiding and then were caught.

We were told by a snake catcher that snakes stay away from Lemongrass and Marigold plants as well, apparently they dont like their smell.

He also told us about some electronic device emitting ultrasonic frequency soundwaves which you can place in areas which snake visits often, snakes can feel these vibrations and stay away from it.
Gaur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:37   #993
BHPian

One easy and safe way is to have snake repellent plants.
When we had shifted to our new home decades ago in the outskirts of Bangalore, used to have some pf these plants for this purpose.

Link https://balconygardenweb.com/natural...-repel-snakes/
Asif 6959 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:46   #994
BHPian

So snakes can still climb up and come through the upper part of the grill. One important thing to do within the compound is to keep it clean. Snakes will hide in trash piles or areas of high undergrowth. If they really want to come they will come in. Just do not make it welcome for them to lie around and take shelter. You should be able to easily spot the snake in case it is in the compound.

Last edited by neeravnaik : 29th May 2023 at 11:50.
neeravnaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:03   #995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
So snakes can still climb up and come through the upper part of the grill.
Snakes accidently end up inside the compound, just moving along the sides. They do not bother to expend all their energy to climb up. Unless they want to be inside the compound for some reason (there are none). Also, slithering over the thin/sharp(ish) plastic/FRP material on the gate is unlikely to feel comfortable for the snake

We used to spot a snake inside compound atleast once every 6 months. But from the past 3 years, we have spotted none. So simple barriers like this works well.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:15   #996
BHPian

Today I found a dead snake inside the engine bay near the battery. As I entered the car I felt a rotting smell. I did not bother to open the engine bay I was getting late for the office. As I switched on the AC smell grew strong. When I reached the office which was only a 10 min drive, I opened the hood and found the dead snake above the battery. One of my workers removed the snake. I saw half of the body of the snake was gone and only bones were left, which means the snake died in the heat of the engine bay.

Now the problem is the smell is not going away. I have pressure washed the engine bay thrice. Still, the smell isn't going away. I am not able to switch ON the AC as well.
Old 31st May 2023, 21:59   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbaman View Post
Now the problem is the smell is not going away. I have pressure washed the engine bay thrice. Still, the smell isn't going away. I am not able to switch ON the AC as well.
Generally the lingering foul odor is produced by bacteria left on surfaces after the dead stuff is removed.

I personally know a case where a cat was killed in the engine bay while cranking the engine during one cold winter morning. Probably the poor chap was cozy inside. (And since then I tap my car hood before cranking, during winters). He also got the engine bay cleaned but a week down the line the dead stench started to come in the cabin and he took the professional help where they did the following deep cleaning, with ultra hot steaming, using deodorizing agent, and finally anti microbial treatment. Also changed the AC filter.

Probably you will also need a professional help for this similar issue. Or can DIY if you have time and tools.

NomadSK
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 22:53   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post

Probably you will also need a professional help for this similar issue. Or can DIY if you have time and tools.

NomadSK
Thanks for the info. Being a small hilly town, I don't think such type of professional service is available here, never heard of such a thing here. Looks like I need to visit Ford Service centre.
Old 31st May 2023, 23:32   #999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbaman View Post
You can try this and check - this foam from 3M is sprayed into the AC duct:
https://www.amazon.in/3M-Air-Conditi.../dp/B01LZ76HXG

Snakes!-screenshot_2.jpg
Old 1st June 2023, 22:22   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone ID this carcass? Looks like it had an encounter with a bird/mongoose and lost.

Snakes!-img_20230531_181124466.jpg

Looked like one of the baby Kraits to me, but some are of the opinion that it was a cobra.
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:06   #1001
BHPian

I visited the Ford service center today. They checked the engine bay thoroughly but couldn't find dead parts of the snake left. Now they are cleaning the AC vents and will change Air Filter and AC Filter. Hopefully, it will resolve the smell issue.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 10:45   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

This guy (vava Suresh) is simply amazing. You can see many of his videos on Youtube.
He is NOT amazing but rather a complete idiot stuntman trying to make himself famous. His actions are detrimental to conservation efforts, and he shows scant regard for the safety of the snake he handles, himself, and the people around him. I mean he is just a low ball idiot and by law should be jailed.

Why would educated people praise this guy? Are we all by and large such an idiot society so far from the truth and reality that we make low lives into real life heroes??
thirdmainroad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 10:59   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
He is NOT amazing but rather a complete idiot stuntman trying to make himself famous.
Worth repeating the views again of the great Rom Whitaker, someone who has actually done a lot for snake conservation, reducing human-snake conflict, and done much to increase the body of knowledge we have on snakes.

He refers to these TV snake handlers as "snake molesters".

When someone does this much drama needlessly 'handling' snakes in the name of rescue or conservation, you can bet they are actually doing it for the fame.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 11:58   #1004
BHPian

One of the caretaker at my friends farm was bitten by a snake last week at Lonavala. After spending 3 nights in ICU he will be discharged today. The bite was on the hand.

As per their local belief they killed the snake and took it to the hospital for identifying the course of treatment. (Is this required ?)

Attaching a pic of the killed snake forwarded to me. Looks like a Green Viper which is very dangerous as per Google.

Viewer discretion advised.

Dead snake,

Snakes!-snake-viper.jpg
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:28   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
As per their local belief they killed the snake and took it to the hospital for identifying the course of treatment. (Is this required ?)

Attachment 2472323
Even if this is required to know which snake bit the person, everybody has a mobile phone, few pictures of the snake would be good enough to identify the type of snake.

Why to kill the poor creature? He/she was just defending. So kindly educate the locals out there, if you can, that killing is not mandatory, few pictures on the mobile would be sufficient to identify the snake.

Last edited by Shivanshu : 6th July 2023 at 12:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks