Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 12:47   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Snakes!

Have any of you had an experience with the slimy scaly reptile in your 4x4? We had a scary (and I mean SCARY) encounter on a recent sunday offroad excursion. Four 4x4's were taking turns driving through a particularly dense patch of bushes & trees. The second - an MM540 with a halftop covering only the front driver / passenger area - crossed through comfortably. He jumped out to see how the Jeeps following him were doing, when to his utter horror, he saw a snake on the rear floor of his Jeep We used the help of some rural folk who were obviously experienced in driving snakes away.

Snakes can freak you out! I have decided, for the time being, to refrain from open top offroading in dense areas. Side plastic doors can stay home, but the overhead top is a must in such areas. I'd also highly recommend all of you to carry a basic snake bite kit when out in the wilderness.

Any encounters? How did you handle it?
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 12:53   #2
BHPian

That is really scary
Old 19th January 2009, 12:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scary indeed. What do you mean by snake kit? Something like anti-venom? I am not an expert here, but I heard that anti-venom depends on the type of snake.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

GTO, That indeed was scary.
I had a snakepisode when I worked in Bangalore. We were 10 friends in 3 cars gone to Kabini night stay in December mid, 2003. I had an 1.6 Ikon and next day morning we were to drive out to close by destination. We started our cars and were driving when I could hear some sound(like something being bounced off) in the engine compartment after 8 km or so. I stopped(other 2 cars too stopped) and opened the bonnet of my Ikon to find a brown snake with chopped of head(shredded by the engine fan I suppose). I jumped back throwing the bonnet down with full force.

Then we slowly opened the bonnet and with sticks threw the snake out!!Was really scary!! We reasoned that the reptile must have been seeking a warm hangout for the night!! We then double checked all the cars (inside out!!) before proceeding further. After this experience Whenever I park my cars in dense foliage I ensure that I either have a closed parking or park the car under light.
Another precaution to all of us to have all holes closed(either from the engine bay into cabin or from boot) safely to avoid any sneaking in
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 13:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

There are snakes in my house compound and in my office compound. I make ample noise with my feet to warn them in advance, so that I don't surprise them and vice-versa.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 13:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

guys thats a serious incident to have a snake land up in the jeep!

on a lighter side...on your next OTR, hire a "snake charmer"!
Old 19th January 2009, 13:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have had quite a few encounters with snakes. Some in college campus, some at our farm and few at home. The first thing to do is remain calm, normally snakes don't chase you.

what i do usually is get hold of two long & sturdy sticks and try to shift the snake to nearby wilderness or bushes(when encountered outside).In case of indoors, get a really big sack and try to push it into it and then shift it to nearby wilderness.

It is always good to take a clean look at the snake. Poisonous snakes usually have some designs running on their body and are nicely colored.

Most of the snakes that i ve encountered in college campus and farm are "Banded Kraits" (Bungarus fasciatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), these are highly venomous.

Last but definitely not the least, PLEASE don't kill snakes.
badboyscad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 13:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Seven days back, i had parked my car under tin shade in my factory premises.
Though this is industrial area, lot of unused land with bushes and trees is around my factory compound. My factory worker found one long snake under my car. I was supposed to go with my car within next 5 min. Anyhow, workers managed to drove away that snake.
From that time onwards, i stand @ 15 feet away from car and make noise two to three times by remote opening alarm before entering car.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:26   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
From that time onwards, i stand @ 15 feet away from car and make noise two to three times by remote opening alarm before entering car.

Snakes are deaf!!!

They however can feel vibrations through the ground; so what you need to do is to make sound with your footwear - like dragging and/or stomping your feet, "slithering" your heels, etc.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Snakes are deaf!!!

They however can feel vibrations through the ground; so what you need to do is to make sound with your footwear - like dragging and/or stomping your feet, "slithering" your heels, etc.
Oh my god,

I have to change my style to warn snakes.

I will make inclosed car parking asap.

saap bhi mar gaya aur laathi bhi nahi tuti.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had encountered 1 or 2 times "thavittan" a small less venomous snake in my previous RX100 twisted to Engine Cylinder area.
--
and snake density in some towns like Kothamangalam is astonishing!few friends used to share the trouble with them.

Last edited by deepclutch : 19th January 2009 at 13:59.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

let monsoon come we will have these slimy creatures all over our place sometimes inside too

bandaid Krait being common(Deadly poisonous)
keep a hockey handy
even i am animal lover but cant risk out our and pets lives
Old 19th January 2009, 14:12   #13
BHPian

This reminds me of an incident that happened way back in 1993.

I had got late for college, quickly finished b'fast, picked my bag, ran down the stairs, started my Bajaj Chetak with a kick after tilting it sideways (typical way to start the scooter if I wanted one kick start in the morning)

On the main road & barely 5 minutes later, had a casual look at the speedo, there was something like a black lizard with a big mouth on the top of head lamp!

Another glare, I realized that it was a small (about one feet long) snake.

Im'dtly my right hand went off the handle, can't stop in the middle of lane
Continously, looking at the snake, I leaned backwards to the maximum holding the left side handle/ gear lever. I was fearing that it might slide on/ fly towards me. Had read about small poisonous snakes, fully scared by now, I somehow manged to stop scooter on the side of the road. Carefully, pulled the stand & with the help of a stick removed the snake. Fallen on the road, it crawled towards a side drain & went inside the bushes on the drain edge.

That was a scary moment! And I always wonder how the creature got on to the scooter.

The incident caused me to develop a habit of inspecting my car all around each time before getting into it

Last edited by breezydrive : 19th January 2009 at 14:15.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 14:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There are snakes in my house compound and in my office compound. I make ample noise with my feet to warn them in advance, so that I don't surprise them and vice-versa.
Mate,

I am sure you are aware that: snakes are deaf. If you are thumping your feet to create vibrations then it is fine.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 14:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
I am sure you are aware that: snakes are deaf. If you are thumping your feet to create vibrations then it is fine.
Yes boss, I know. That's why I use the foot rather than clapping or talking or shouting. I've had numerous snake encounters since I was a toddler. I can recall 4 encounters in last 6 months, I have posted two of them on the forum.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed