Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Please Avoid Bp Bunk On Bannerghatta Road (opp Subramanya Arcade), Bangalore

This thread is to warn fellow BHPians and others about the fraud being done by petrol attendants at the Bannerghatta road BP bunk (could happen in other bunks also).

I have gone to this fraud bunk once (before becoming a regular at JP Nagar HP bunk) since it is closer to office. The 1st time I went there I noticed that petrol flows very fast but could not exactly get what was wrong and took the safest option of not going to that bunk. 2 days back had to go to that bunk since bike had very less petrol. This time managed to find out how the fraud is done. Went again yesterday in my car to confirm the method (Once I got the confirmation, prevented the attendant from filling petrol and drove off).

The attendants follow a simple technique- Let us assume customer wants to fill in petrol for 1000 rupees. For any sale 2 or 3 guys stand together. While one handles the pump, the 2nd one distracts the customer by asking questions. The questions asked when it is a credit card are (I use credit card and hence noticed this)
  • Is this Visa or master card (does it matter if it is a visa or master card)
  • Does it have pin number (as if they do not know credit cards don’t need pin number)
When the customer turns towards the attendant asking questions, the 3rd guy does something in the machine like hitting the reset button at particular speed and immediately meter shows as already 2 or 3 or 4 litres (for me meter jumped to 4.69 litres) already pumped into the tank. In case the customer sees this change, the usual explanation is- Sir, the power has gone and we need to restart the pumping. Saying so the attendant will pump in petrol for only 800 rupees and convinces the customer that already 4 litres has been pumped in.

I sent a mail today to the Chief Vigilance Officer of BPCL (through their website) and thinking of faxing the same. I am also planning to go to the bunk and study how exactly these guys operate.

This bunk could just be one of the many doing this fraud and hence all of us need to be very careful. I do not want my hard earned money robbed like this.

Thiyags

Mods- I know a thread exists on the similar topic but I thought this is about a specific bunk and hence started a new thread.

Last edited by thiyags22 : 5th February 2009 at 13:13.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:27   #2
BHPian

@ thiyags22 what you have observed is very true. In fact i too have faced a similar fraud in the same bunk couple of weeks back.

Next time if at all there is a need for you to fill gas in that bunk, just make sure that you have your eyes fixed on the meter and simply ignore the questions that's being put up to you.

It is in fact funny, to actually see the other 2 guys move away when you refuse to talk to them knowing that they cannot cheat you.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bro , I faced the exact issue last month. Inspite of knowing this happens I got ripped. I asked the guy to fill rs 100 worth of petrol, he fills 200 and stops , I told him to fill 1000 he says sorry, and instead pretends to reset fills till the meter shows 800. Then he says he had hit reset and its 200+800 =1000 now where as he had done 200+600 =800. I left but as soon as i had driven 100 meters and looked at the needle i realised what had happened.
Kept grumbling about this when my wife asked me to go back and shout at them. Atleast they would know that they have been caught. I did that and the guy didnt know what to do, he meekly asked me to get the car to the pump and filled in rs 200 of petrol which he had not done

Last edited by sammyboy : 5th February 2009 at 13:40.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happens at the IBP bunk thats between the udupi garden junction and silk board junction.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:42   #5
BHPian

What worries me is that even though companies bring in new technology, these guys find a way to continue their cheating. Digital auto meters are also a similar case.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:46   #6
BHPian

Guys I follow one rule if the petrol pump is a new one and you need the fuel urgently don't try to fill more than 200 to 300 bucks. Later go to your regular petrol pump as they recognize you and will try NOT to do it but still they do if you are not careful
Or if you are trying any new petrol pump don't move from the pump and keep your eyes opened keeping your ears closed to the rubbish talks like sir credit card, sir is it cash or do you need receipt etc
Never act like a king/show laziness by sitting in a car and getting the petrol filled
Old 5th February 2009, 13:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Don't speak with anyone. Till you have gotten comfortable next to the dispenser and your fuel tank.
Then and only then mention the quantity of fuel you want.

Quote:
When people think you're a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, they generally don't ask you stupid questions
Old 5th February 2009, 14:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
t Never act like a king/show laziness by sitting in a car and getting the petrol filled
I make a point. Before talking to any one, I open the petrol lid, switch the ignition off, pull the hand breaks and stand infront of the petrol mete, then I tell him fill the tank not moving from my position infront of the meter. First time or the second time they stared @ me, now I guess they have known me and dont stare. I think Shell petrol pumps are better in this aspect.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Whoaa, I regularly fill petrol from this bunk (fuel quality is good), but I always fill it till cut-off and never take my eyes off the machine. I never answer to their questions and generally they don't ask me any questions. And also i think that if you are doing top up they can't cheat you using this trick. BTW this bunk is COCO bunk and if you complain to BP they surely gonna take action.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:03   #10

The same fraud was tried on me the the Bharat Petroleum bunk next to Thoms Bakery. I asked for a full tank and the attendant a few minutes later tells me that he has filled for Rs. 200/- I made some noise that i had asked for a full tank and why did he fill for Rs. 200/- He then quietly filled a full tank and charged me for the full tank only. I never fill there anymore.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
And also i think that if you are doing top up they can't cheat you using this trick.
Of course they can still cheat you! The meter reading will show more than what was actually filled in your car, and you'll end up paying more.

Out here in Delhi, I've rarely seen petrol pumps try such tricks. Once I'd gone to a petrol pump, and since it was one I'd never tried before, just asked them to fill in 500 bucks worth of petrol so I could get to one of my regular pumps. The meter showed 500, but when I got into the car and started driving, looking at the fuel gauge gave me the feeling that 500 bucks of petrol had not gone in. I just thanked my stars I didn't get a full-tank done there and vowed never to visit the pump again!
Old 5th February 2009, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Of course they can still cheat you! The meter reading will show more than what was actually filled in your car, and you'll end up paying more.
Well if the meter itself is tempered with then no one can help us. I was talking about these cheap tricks they try to cheat us not about comparative hi tech fraud of tempered meter.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well if the meter itself is tempered with then no one can help us. I was talking about these cheap tricks they try to cheat us not about comparative hi tech fraud of tempered meter.
If you doubt the quantity being dispensed by the bunk.
Ask for and verify using a standard 1L container every bunk must provide.

The type of meter will have no bearing on this test.

When you write a complaint in the register that is maintained by the bunk.
Strike off all the left over white space.

Last edited by bblost : 5th February 2009 at 15:42.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
BTW this bunk is COCO bunk and if you complain to BP they surely gonna take action.
I have complained and let us see what action they take or claim to take.

Thiyags
Old 5th February 2009, 15:58   #15
BHPian

I feel that in general, in COCO bunks, quality and quantity of fuel will be ok as there will be record of how much was supplied and how much was dispensed. So they resort to Rs200 trick.

In normal bunks, there is no record or rather the records are private to the bunk owner, so he can get 100lts from company, mix kerosene, tamper the meter to dispense less and finally sell us 200lts.

So 2nd best practice is to go to COCO bunk. Listen to none. See nowhere except meter and if Rs 200 trick is pulled on you, just drive the car/bike away(after paying Rs200).

Best practice is to go to Shell

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks