Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 13:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
How about a trip to the Delhi Zoo near Purana Quila ??

Most kids love the wild animals.
Best advice!
Show them the beauty of nature. Our lives revolve so much around artificial gadgets (TV/Computer/Playstations) etc. that sometimes we forget to appreciate the mother nature. It is very calming and a great experience for the kids and even adults.

In any case, the kids of today are missing the big playgrounds which we enjoyed in our childhood, and more focused on computer games and indoor activities. Who knows 10 years down the line even the little bit of open spaces that are left will be no more. :(

Last edited by DCEite : 7th February 2009 at 13:22.
Old 7th February 2009, 15:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Best advice!
Show them the beauty of nature. Our lives revolve so much around artificial gadgets (TV/Computer/Playstations) etc. that sometimes we forget to appreciate the mother nature. It is very calming and a great experience for the kids and even adults.

In any case, the kids of today are missing the big playgrounds which we enjoyed in our childhood, and more focused on computer games and indoor activities. Who knows 10 years down the line even the little bit of open spaces that are left will be no more. :(
Dc, You stole my thoughts, it is better not to gift your kid any games consoles, because today's kids are so much into it that they do not even know that there are games like blind man's bluff and similar games which we used to enjoy as kids. Better get him a cycle so that he can explore the nature on his own.

To make his day special, there is nothing better then spending the day with him at his favourite place and then treat him at Mcdonalds. The kids love it absolutely.

Mansi
Old 7th February 2009, 15:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
The Wii is much better than the PS3 or Xbox. It makes you get out of the couch, and playing does not have to deal with a lot of tiny button coordination.
My 6yr old son and all his friends beat their dads and most people their dad's age. So be prepared to lose the battles.
I second that. the Wii has the following advantages:
1. Interactive gaming console
2. Learning & Physical involvement required
3. A lot more interactive games (not fast paced, gory, violent, bloodbaths, etc.; but games like tennis, bowling, teaching, learning games) available & compatible for the whole family to play with each other so u get to spend quality time with your loved ones.
4. Works your butt too...
5. And trust me, his refelexes will get much better with this console.
6. The have the Wii Fit add on where you can have the whole family exercise with interactive interface.

my 2 cents
Old 7th February 2009, 16:05   #19
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. Me and my wife decided few things.
1. A small get together with his friends in house based on some theme (Disney character or spidermen) and will have some games which all of them can play.
2. next day will go on long drive in our new Innova (hopefully get it by then) to NH8 Haldiram and have some fun there.
3. Wii could me on top most list for gifts

Last edited by sam003 : 7th February 2009 at 16:09.
Old 7th February 2009, 21:24   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Gift him a good automobile magazine and worldcar magazinne. He will enjoy those books and start doing what men are suppossed to do - love automobiles.
LOL! Spoken like a true petrolhead. I concur, give him a bunch of cars. That's the only gift I remember receiving as a child anyways.

That, coupled with some mind-developing games / toys, would be ideal for the little one. Happy birthday to him in advance!
Old 8th February 2009, 09:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Give him two things:
1) Something like this:
Hero Cycles Ltd.
Birthday gift for 4 yr Toddler-k3.jpg
2) A 1:18 model of a Super Car. You want him to be an automobile enthusiast, don't you?
Old 9th February 2009, 13:24   #22
BANNED

Enroll him in some class to learn a musical instrument. Believe me this is the right age to begin. I myself was introduced to music at this early age and planning the same for my son too.

Or alternatively enroll him in some sports training - Tennis, cricket, etc. Its good to start young.

See that whatever activities you plan for him from now onwards has a lot of learning, physical excercise and meeting new people involved.

Toys, gaming consoles is something you can pick up as a reward for doing something good, dosent have to be a Birthday Gift. Dont get him/her addicted on gaming consoles yet.

Oh yes and spend the whole day with him. Be there only for him. One day in the entire year he should be made to feel special. Continue this for every year.

My dad used to travel a lot due to his job, but every year on each of his three kids birthdays he was at home. On every birthday he used to be there to pick us up from school and take us everywhere we wanted to go on on our birthday.

28 years on, when i am a dad myself i knew why he did it. That one day in the year spend with us meant much more to him then to us.

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th February 2009 at 13:30.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. Me and my wife decided few things.
1. A small get together with his friends in house based on some theme (Disney character or spidermen) and will have some games which all of them can play.
2. next day will go on long drive in our new Innova (hopefully get it by then) to NH8 Haldiram and have some fun there.
3. Wii could me on top most list for gifts
Go for the Wii Sports , you would surely start spending more (fun) time with your kid. my 3 year old beats me square in Tennis, TT, Baseball, and she's teaching me Putting(Golf) now...

Have a wonderful day.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:27   #24
BHPian

Hey !

I am sure by now he is an very experienced 4 wheel driver as he gets a new car every year.

Now its time for him to get some 2 wheeler experience. Something like this, these bikes look really very cool, FIREFOX bikes have there stores in Lajpat Nagar ( on 3Cs wala road ) and Rajouri Garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Birthday gift for 4 yr Toddler-large_diablo14.jpg  

Last edited by Bubby : 10th February 2009 at 11:30.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:50   #25
BHPian

Thanks, but he already had 2 wheel with him, gave him on his 3rd birthday.
Old 10th February 2009, 12:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hey !

I am sure by now he is an very experienced 4 wheel driver as he gets a new car every year.

Now its time for him to get some 2 wheeler experience. Something like this, these bikes look really very cool, FIREFOX bikes have there stores in Lajpat Nagar ( on 3Cs wala road ) and Rajouri Garden.

Hey, please check, this is four wheel drive. Two big two small
Old 10th February 2009, 14:16   #27
BHPian

sam--ill not recommend you to buy any kind of gaming consoles, but according to me ill prefer you to buy him a good book or a huge puzzle or a good set of cars with tracks (read:hot wheels) or a set of LEGO, any which way today's kids' are tech savvy so why buy him a gaming console?

Most Viewed