Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 14:39   #496
Team-BHP Support

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
My friend shared this:
Kindly stick to first hand experiences. We start quoting from elsewhere, soon people will be digging out old Reader's Digests. The title of the thread comes from Reader's Digest. - Support Team

Last edited by Samurai : 12th May 2013 at 17:26.
Old 12th May 2013, 17:19   #497
BHPian

This happened to me in my first year(now in 3rd year).
So we had automobile workshop where we had to dismantle and reassemble the amby petrol engine. Now we had a old lab supervisor, he starts asking everyone what car we had. We were 3 guys &3 girls in the batch, the conversation goes like this
Him: what car do you have at home?
Girl 1: Ambassador sir.
Him*all excited* : Even I have the same car.
Him*to me*: what car do you have?
Me: Innova sir!!!!
Then we continue with our job and are required to get it signed also get our scores out of ten.
He gives the girl 1 10/10 in my batch, rest 9/10. Now my turn to get it corrected. And he gives me a 8/10.
Me*flabbergasted*: sir why did you give me only 8???
Him*with a serious.look* : Because you have the modern car in this batch while everyone else has only alto/amby/800.
Now I didn't know what to do and just walked away.(ofcourse thinking of all things bad to happen to his Amby)
Anyways turns out he gave girl1 10 because she had same car as him.
My reaction * muttering*: Damn!!! You Amby!!!

Some funny stuff he said "do you know the Rolls-Royce costs 10 crores & there is only one in the country", : uncontrol
Old 12th May 2013, 17:56   #498
BHPian

During my college Days.

Electrical Machines Lab. Practical Examination. Now this was not our core subject and all of us considered this an unavoidable horror.

My friend got an experiment on some motor which later turned out to have defective wiring. Everytime he switches on the machine to start his lab experiments , in a couple of minutes the fuse would blow.

After 3-4 such stops and starts, the external examiner walks accross. First question asked to my already rattled friend was whether he was conducting a lab experiment or organising a fire works display?

Then he decided to start the viva voce.. The lab exams then had a small viva voce exam as well where the examiner asks a few questions on the subject or experiment in question.

Throughly rattled by now, my friend could hardly answer any questions properly. The examiner then decided to take it easy and to make my friend relax asked him what his favrote hobby was ?

We all knew that his favorite hobby could not in any way be elaborated to the examiner. Already rattled my friend decided to play it safe with the time tested "reading".

Alas my friend did not know that the examiner was a big shot of the local book lovers assocation in his home town.

Throughly cheered up after my friends earlier disappointing answers, the examiner wanted to know about my friends favourite author and books.

Full credit to my friend., he managed to blurt out, "I read newspapers SIR".

Last edited by TKMCE : 12th May 2013 at 17:59.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:02   #499
BHPian

TKMCE! Your anecdote is similar to what happened to me during our college time during Electrical Machines lab.
In my case, I had got an experiment with DC Shunt motor. I was very confident of the experiment and once done the examiner is supposed to review the connections and only when he is fine he is supposed to give a go ahead to start the motor. I was the first and called him over for review. He gave the go ahead and when I started the motor we saw fireworks in the Rectifier room (equipment used to connect AC to DC). Since it looked dangerous all experiments were cancelled and the students being graded only based on Viva. I was the hero as there were a lots of people not confident with their experiment. They thanked me for jeopardizing the lab even though the external examiner along with HoD were breaking their heads investigating my connections to find fault.

Well! not everybody thanked me though. There were still some unfortunate folks who had picked Induction motor as their experiment and were cursing for not being affected and pleading to do something to their equipment as well.

Last edited by DWind : 13th May 2013 at 12:09.
Old 16th May 2013, 17:23   #500
BHPian

Sharing an incident from college days.

During my MBA, we were in a residential program and living in hostel. Each student had a room of his own and 10 rooms together made up a cluster. There was this Mallu guy (no disrespect, just to set the context) Ajithee. He was a chill guy always making fun and we used to pull his leg too. I used to see him first thing in the morning as he would come around to bum a smoke. Along with the smoke he used to do small talk.

One day he came for a smoke and after few puffs, he said
Ajithee: I am getting werid dreams man
Me: What was the dream?
Ajithee: I felt like people were walking all over me
Me: (all I could reply) Must be due to lack of sleep!

After a few days, he came and said that he was having the same dream over and over and had consulted his parents about it. I have had wired dreams myself but not like the one he was mentioning.

Few days later, I walk into the cluster and see the cleaning staff there and all the stuff from Ajithee's room outside. Inside the room they are spraying some kind of chemicals. I enquired about what they were upto.

Me: What are you guys doing?
Cleaning boy: Do you know the guy who lives in this room?
Me: Yes
Cleaning boy: Salute him for me. There were like a million beg bugs on his bed, I wonder how did he sleep for all these days!
Old 16th May 2013, 18:23   #501
BHPian

My mother (a retired college Principal) is on the advisory boards for a couple of institutions and gets invited to some functions they organize. Usually they hand out mementos to the guests of honour and when she comes home, post the function will allow my 5 year old son to open the memento packet. After the most recent event she came home and was talking about how the event went. My son came up and asked her - "Where is the Lemon Toy" ? Poor chap for all the previous events had thought of the memento that way. Managed to not laugh but taught him the correct pronounciation.
Old 16th May 2013, 20:50   #502

I would like to share 2 incidents that happened with me.
One was during my BBA semester exam. There was this guy who was sitting next to my chair. The moment we got our question papers we were busy writing the answers and this guy stares at the question paper for 5 minutes and calls the supervisor and asks him in local language (Kannada), When will be the supplement exam for this paper held ? The whole class starts laughing. (You should hear it in typical north karnataka dialect). The supervisor is stunned but calmly tells him first write this eaxam and then wait for the supplement.

The other incident happened when I was in plus 2 (12 standard). Our group of friends used to attend the classes very rarely and we never bothered to attend the Lab (Science students you see). But one day I was forced to attend Biology lab. I was sitting in the lab trying to understand what was being taught and suddenly our bio teacher asks me whether I am a new student and is this my first lab. I was so embarrased that I could not lift my face. The whole class was laughing as they knew I was not a new student.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:55   #503
Senior - BHPian

Because of recent elephant attack in Bangalore, I remembered an experience I had, some 5-6 years ago.

I had been to Nagarahole forest, along with my team. For forest safari, I was seated somewhere in the middle of the minibus and on the right side of the aisle, and my project manager was sitting on my left. As the safari bus drove through the jungle, we came across a lone tusker on our right side. As you would know, lone tuskers are always aggressive, as they are cast out of the herd by the matriarch.

So this tusker saw the bus and started charging towards it. Since the bus driver and helper (who are forest officials) were aware of animal behaviour, they did not move the bus. We all thought that the bus had stalled. The elephant was charging towards the middle of the bus. My project manager said, "oh no, the elephant will attack us, close the window", and then reached out and closed the window.

I asked, "does it make a difference?".
Then it occured to him, "oh yeah, that's an elephant!!!".

Then the tusker stopped, stared for a few moments and then walked away.

Later the bus helper explained that lone tuskers start charging towards anything they consider a threat. If you run, they know you are weaker and they chase you. If you stand ground, they understand that you are ready to fight and they walk away.

I am sure this is not always the case, but an expert can figure out an elephant's intentions just by observing the body language.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:08   #504
Senior - BHPian

Maybe your PM remembered the story about the elephant not knowing its own strength!! Old story - Elephants tied to trees with ropes/chain don't know that if they pull with their might uproot the tree itself. Similarly an elephant doesn't know it can break open a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
If you run, they know you are weaker and they chase you. If you stand ground, they understand that you are ready to fight and they walk away.
I'll believe this only if someone has stood the ground and has lived to tell the tale!!
Old 27th June 2013, 16:40   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I'll believe this only if someone has stood the ground and has lived to tell the tale!!
uh-oh !! We have a Ghost in our midst ??
Old 27th June 2013, 16:57   #506
Team-BHP Support

Actually, in our offroad community there are quite a few who have had multiple elephant encounters. Quoting from one such travelogue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We dined in the moonlight on the balcony until midnight exchanging forest and wildlife stories. At least half the group had extensively experiences with elephants, some could count the number of times being chased by elephants. I wasn’t sure whether to envy such a statistic or not, I mean who wants to envy being chased by elephants. Eventually rest of the group drove back to nature camp very slowly hoping to catch some elephants on the way with their powerful spotlights.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:30   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, in our offroad community there are quite a few who have had multiple elephant encounters. Quoting from one such travelogue:
People in Assam would have lots of wildlife stories.

I have / had lots of relatives in Assam. Heard stories ranging from Elephants to Tigers to leopards to humans (in ULFA period).

Especially people who did NJP to Guwahati or Guwahati to Duliajan / Digboi / Jorhat / Sibsagar by road through Manas or Kaziranga.

Always found those stories more hair-raising than Jharkhand or Bandipur-Nagerhole ones. Maybe age was also a factor?
Old 27th June 2013, 19:41   #508
Team-BHP Support

I was referring to BHPians with such experience. If you go out to people living in wilderness areas, then stories are endless.
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:04   #509

After filling diesel in my Indica Vista at a local fuel pump, the attendant asked me the following question just to confirm his doubt..."madam...gaadi diesel ki hi hai na?? :-$"
I was laughing all the way to office... :-D
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:58   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by renu.bhagwat View Post
After filling diesel in my Indica Vista at a local fuel pump, the attendant asked me the following question just to confirm his doubt..."madam...gaadi diesel ki hi hai na?? :-$"
I was laughing all the way to office... :-D
Actually you should be worried. He could have also said, "madam...gaadi petrol ki hi hai na??"

I always get down and ensure that the right fuel is being filled. With so many types of cars, you can't blame them for the confusion. Even after 5+ years, every time I enter a fuel station the attendant beckons my petrol SUV to the diesel pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks