Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 14:51   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

@anisanil:hoo, boy!!
computers constantly give us techno-embarassments, as if reality wasnt enough.

I spent some time consulting BD for a firm where the proprietor got copies for ALL employees emails.
I dont know why, but he just wanted to keep a tab on what was happening, since the firm dealt with "touchy" consulting.
Just about 30-40 employees.
I had configured my email on my trusty phone(somehow, with all the protocol regarding emails, THIS option was open to those who could do it).
I was dating my future wife, and mailed a snap of her to myself to post on facebook when i got to office.
And the subject had the full-on lovey-dovey text that was supposed to be the text for the photo.

Nuff said.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

^
ROFLMAO!!!

I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been!
Old 4th May 2011, 15:08   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^
ROFLMAO!!!

I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been!
well, i HAD to invite the WHOLE office to the wedding cos news spread fast about the incident
Old 14th May 2011, 17:18   #124
BHPian

Well, here's a couple of good ones:

A friend of my always wanted to speak in Hindi, even though he was not well versed in it.
Once we both had to pick up a cheque from a Airforce Official who asked us to collect it from the guard room desk at the AF station. We reached the guard room & my friend gave his visiting card to the guard on duty, the guard after reading the visiting card asked "Tho Aapka Naam Vinod Hai?", to which my friend replied "Aapka Naam Vinod Nahi, Mera Naam Vinod Hai"

Another Incident: I went to Delhi with him & a few other friends & another friend had come to pick us up at Nizamuddin Railway Station. After we reached the Auto Rickshaw stand, we hired 2 autos, my delhi friend boarded the first auto, asked me & my Hindi loving friend to follow him in the 2nd auto. Now he had to instruct the 2nd auto driver to follow the 1st auto, So he says in Hindi "Is Auto Ko Us Auto Ke Upar Rakho"

Last edited by GSMINC : 14th May 2011 at 17:19.
GSMINC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 23:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

Talking about hindi, this happened when we went for a team outing. My ex-manager has this habit of showing off his language skills and tries to speak in the other person's language, no matter how good or bad he might be in that language. So we were dividing teams for some game and he wanted to ask a girl to select her team first. He turns to her and says, "aap choosiye". Needless to say, her expression was priceless.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:03   #126
BHPian

Bit of background behind this incident :-

I shampoo my hair every other day. I'm also of extremely forgetful nature, so I often forget whether I shampooed my hair yesterday or not. I also don't like to have my 'shampooing-date' co-incide with the date of an exam, as I feel shampooing has a distracting effect on my mental calm, which is not good on an exam day. My last exam (BITSAT) was on 13th of this month, so I didn't shampoo that day, and now I use a simple trick to remember if I'm supposed to shampoo today - shampoo on even dates only (at least holds for this month).

Now the incident :-

Me and my mom were at the local govt. library to get me registered. Since we both are having our summer vacations (mom's a college lecturer), we don't keep much track of what date it is. So, mom was filling the form.

Mom to me : What date is it today?

Me : Did I shampoo my hair yesterday? (I was confused between 27th and 28th, and mom knows my shampoo date trick.)

Librarian (standing close by) :
anku94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:11   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
good one anku!!
i was half expecting after the first 3-4 lines that you may have walked out with shampoo in your hair!!
Old 27th May 2011, 18:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Bit of background behind this incident :-

I shampoo my hair every other day. I'm also of extremely forgetful nature, so I often forget whether I shampooed my hair yesterday or not.

Mom to me : What date is it today?

Me : Did I shampoo my hair yesterday? (I was confused between 27th and 28th, and mom knows my shampoo date trick.)

Librarian (standing close by) :
ROFL stuff!! This is really funny!! I am still giggling!

Edit: But why yesterday? You could have asked if you have shampooed today? Hope you don't forget that you shampoo every other day!

Last edited by anilisanil : 27th May 2011 at 18:21.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:38   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
^^
good one anku!!
i was half expecting after the first 3-4 lines that you may have walked out with shampoo in your hair!!
Haha, thanks. I'm not that forgetful and besides, you can feel the weight of the shampoo on your hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
ROFL stuff!! This is really funny!! I am still giggling!

Edit: But why yesterday? You could have asked if you have shampooed today? Hope you don't forget that you shampoo every other day!
Err...the thing is....I also happen to be an incredibly lazy person, and I hadn't bathed today before going to the library.

PS : I do bathe every day. It just happens at 5 PM rather than 5 AM.
Old 28th May 2011, 19:46   #130
BHPian

Another ridiculous incident happened today. We've all read it in jokes but there's something about it happening in real life.

So, I was at a friend's home to get my books back. He had borrowed them but all reminders to return 'em had fallen on deaf ears. I've just passed 12th, and he is in 11th, and he's one of those 'not-so-bright-son-of-an-influential-dad' types.

Friend: So what college are you planning on joining?

Me: Well, I'll most probably go to IIIT-Hyderabad or BITS Pilani.

Friend: Oh, where are they located?

Me:
Old 30th May 2011, 16:34   #131
Team-BHP Support

This happened today. I missed a falling coconut by one second while driving back from lunch. I was so shocked, I honked wildly at the coconut tree.

Couple seconds later I looked around to see if anyone saw me honking at the tree. Phew, there was nobody around.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 16:57   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

@samurai:I am trying to not imagine this scene, cos today is NOT the day i plan to get fired for "untoward behaviour at workplace"...hoo boy!!
Old 30th May 2011, 19:42   #133
BHPian

This happened with me some years ago, but whenever I think about this incident I get a smile.

I was working with a PC hardware vendor who had annual maintenance contract for one Punjab and Sind Bank branch in Cannaught Place, Delhi. Once I went there to attend a complaint and went to the Manager's cabin to find out what was the problem. One thing I would like to tell first is that most of the employees are Sikh's in that bank.

The Manager called peon and here is the conversation

Manager: Call Mr. ABC
Peon: Sir, he is not on his seat. (Woh apni kursi pe nahin hai)
Manager: Look around, he may be drinking tea at someone's else desk. (Dekho kissi ke saath chai-shai pe rahe honge)
Peon: That is the problem Sir, I can't recognize if he is not on his seat as all are wearing same color turban and have similar beard and it's very difficult to recognize an individual in a group of similar looking gentlemen. (Sirji, mujhe to pagdi aur dhadhi main sabki shakal ek jaisi lag rahi hai, seat pe nahi honge to pehchan nahi aayenge)

As he said this, even the manager who himself was Sikh started smiling and came outside himself to point me to the required Mr. ABC.

All of this discussion was in Hindi (in brackets), I translated for everyone. But honestly it was too cute to hear from that person at that moment and the way he said was sounding absolutely genuine.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This happened today. I missed a falling coconut by one second while driving back from lunch. I was so shocked, I honked wildly at the coconut tree.

Couple seconds later I looked around to see if anyone saw me honking at the tree. Phew, there was nobody around.

That has to be the funniest for me so far..

Anyway here is one from my side. Was enjoying an evening ride on my bike after a long time and all of a sudden i see a friend of mine walk though the road and i only saw her from the back. Without making sure if she is the one i just call out to her at the top of my voice. To my horror, she turned back and was completely someone else.
Here is the twist. my face was almost changing its color to red of embarrassment i quickly looked straight and started talking some jibberish loudly as if i am on a Bluetooth and placed my palm over my ear and carried on. She of course brought it and thought i was not calling out to her. he he
Old 31st May 2011, 21:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

I put it on my blog and facebook, and then realized it has a space on TBHP too
Quote:
So I turned the TV on and changed the input to RGB, one of my laptops which is permanently connected to TV. This is how we watch movies on netflix.

Suman complained that volume is low, so I ask her to increase it. Then she complains that it is still not good enough. After a while I get fed up and increase the volume to maximum, still not enough.

Then I reduce it to minimum and still no difference. I tell her may be the TV's volume is stuck. For a problem in laptop I can reboot and fix. TV's software stuck, I am not very happy.

Then I change the input to component, and my cable comes on, but we still hear the audio from the netflix movie. This is getting worse. Audio is stuck on a specific input.

Then I decide I should turn off the TV, and then turn it on. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Holly Molly, the audio is still on! spooky!

And that's when it dawns on me, the audio is coming from the laptop's internal speakers! Kids have taken the audio pin out.

We ROTFLOAO, it doesn't help that we were watching "the other guys" and were already in a fit of laughter.

Most Viewed