Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 16:47   #211
Team-BHP Support

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

Whenever I don't find my mobile phone, the first thing I do is check whether I am talking on it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 19:20   #212
BHPian

This happened when I was very little (6 years old). My parents had never trusted me with money as I used to often loose them. At the end of final exams, we were supposed to submit Self-addressed stamped envelope at school so that the results card could be sent. This time my mother trusted me with money and had given me 25p to buy the stamp from the Post Office which is on the way to school with a stern warning to not loose it. Determined to show her that I have grown up and can be trusted I was very careful. Went to the post office asked around as to where I can get the stamp, stood in the queue.
Once when my turn came went to the bored clerk behind the counter, passed along the coin into the cubbyhole and asked him "Uncle!How much is a 25 paise stamp?". His expression suddenly changed from blank to "What did you ask?" look and then finally to a smile. I smiled back, got the 25p stamp and kept it carefully along with the envelope in my school bag. I still did not understand why everybody were laughing around me until few years later.

Last edited by DWind : 18th November 2011 at 19:26.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 19:28   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
When we reached his house i peeped around and asked him - "dude, where do you park the duc?" and he answered. With genuine concern that the bike was missing from its parking spot, I replied "but i dont see it there". jvh quipped - "dude you ok? the bike is on its way from kari by truck." I had parked my ninja next to his ducati in the truck at the track in coimby. i was like
This happened to me when I bought my new car, went ot walmart, came out and frantically looking for my black galant which I had already sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
and asked him "Uncle!How much is a 25 paise stamp?". His expression suddenly changed from blank to "What did you ask?" look and then finally to a smile. I smiled back, got the 25p stamp and kept it carefully along with the envelope in my school bag. I still did not understand why everybody were laughing around me until I realized few years later.
Joke is on them. Here in US almost everywhere if you buy a card you end up more for taxes, even on postage stamps if you buy it from a retailer.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:48   #214
Senior - BHPian

one day after a hard day's work i packed up and headed towards the parking lot to go home. after reaching the parking lot my heart started racing as i was not able to find my bike where usually park it. then i realized that my helmet was not with me either. i don't leave my GPR on my bike so the only logical place it could have been would be at my cubicle. i ran back to my cubicle and as i approached my heart sank as i couldn't find my helmet there too!! i couldn't understand - how could my bike and my helmet be gone together? was someone playing a prank on me?

confused and dejected i wandered back to the parking lot hoping to find my bike parked in some hidden place far away from prying eyes. alas, i had no such luck.

finally i decided to call my wife and tell her what happened. as i took my cellphone out of my shirt's pocket, i felt a jingle. i put my hand in and felt something familiar. my car keys.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th November 2011 at 19:50.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 20:03   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That happens to me a lot. The funniest was when I was heading for work one day talking to my BIL who was calling from the US. I carry two mobiles- my office Blackberry and a personal cellphone and always check for both these plus my keys, wallet, etc. before leaving the house.

That day I was busy yapping away and in between patting my pockets and signalling to my wife "Where's my blackberry? I can't find my blackberry!" and she gives me this absolutely strange look and says, "Honey you're talking on it"
Old 18th November 2011, 20:13   #216
BHPian

One day 10 years ago i frantically searched all along the way, rode back to a hotel for half a kilometer looked inside and asked the cashier and the food counter and rode back dejected only to find my friend asking where did you find the rayban? He had got off the bike pillion while i turned around to help search enroute.
Old 18th November 2011, 20:28   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
One day 10 years ago i frantically searched all along the way, rode back to a hotel for half a kilometer looked inside and asked the cashier and the food counter and rode back dejected only to find my friend asking where did you find the rayban? He had got off the bike pillion while i turned around to help search enroute.
erm...say what?

or is it just me who has NO clue what you were looking for?
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 20:42   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
erm...say what?

or is it just me who has NO clue what you were looking for?
friend asking "where did you find the rayban?" He had got

I was wearing the glasses. Sorry I forgot to put the quotes earlier.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 21:46   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Those days the Mala D ad was quite common on TV.
Apologies for bringing up a really old post but-

A collegemate engineer hired a diploma as an assistant at his work. Working in the engineering lab, he could not stand the girl humming the song which was played on TV. So one day the normally aloof guy (in the context of girls) quietly told her what it was. This started off a relationship and today they have a budding tennis star daughter. Such was the impact of it.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:41   #220
BHPian

This happened during college days. I was staying in the hostel then. One evening I stacked two bricks one upon the other and covered it with a piece of paper and used it as a seat to do some work on the bed as a work surface. I went out to take a leak. Upon coming back I thought ‘what is this piece of paper doing on the floor’ and kicked it playfully, intending to throw it a good distance. What followed was a mixture of intense pain and laughter!
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 21:26   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
friend asking "where did you find the rayban?" He had got

I was wearing the glasses. Sorry I forgot to put the quotes earlier.
I believe I'm still lost.

What happened there?
You were missing your RayBan glasses, your friend got off the bike to help you search for them. You go to the hotel, etc. and come back dejected. Only to find your friend asking you "Where did you find the RayBan?"
And then it struck me, the glasses were right in front of my eyes all the time!

Is that the sequence of events as they happened?
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 12:01   #222
BHPian

Amazing thread! Until now, I used to think that its only me who has been part of such incidents.

I can recall 4 incidents. 1 of them is still too embarrassing to put it down here

1. This was in the second month of my job. During a tea break were generally bitching about our managers. I was narrating a story ( in hindi) when I felt some one standing behind me and all my colleagues staring at me wide eyed! Luckily it didnt take me long to understand what has happened and I continued with the story changing the scene as if it was about my college prof and the project that I did under him.

2. This was a few days after I had just bought my first bike. It was a Saturday and we had gone for our usual dosage of Vit I on MG/brigade road. After our day was over, I walked down to shivajinagar bus stand and came back to the hostel. On Monday when I was about to go to office, I realized that my bike is missing. Then it dawned upon me that I left it parked on church street the day before. Rushed to church street to find my bike still parked there

3. This is the best one. For the first time in my life I had 2 mobiles with me. One personal and one official. And this was the time when incoming was also charged. I had misplaced my office phone somewhere in the mountain of clothes and books on my table. To find it quickly, I dialed the number from my personal phone. Since the other phone was official phone and there was no need, I ha not stored my personal number on the other phone. When I heard the ring tone that used to wake me up in the middle of the nights and was usually accompanied with some bad news, my mind was completely blocked and I picked up the phone. Now I had both my phones on each ear and when I was speaking in the official phone, I could hear my voice on the other phone. For full 30 seconds I was in state of shock and confused as to who is it on the phone who is sounding it just like me!!!

Part 2 of the story. After this incident, I stored the number in my personal phone as "Its Me!". After I left that job, I retained the sim card (it was bsnl sim and those days it was very tough to get one). When I got married, I gave that sim to my wife. On first day of office ( after marriage) I got a call from "Its Me!". For a few seconds I was so confused as to how come the sim card that is not in a mobile is calling me.

4. This happened to a friend of mine. It was during our college days. My friend had bought a walkman from national market. A whole bunch of guys were sitting around it, in the hostel room and listening to the music being played in fastforward mode. (that screeching sound that we get when we press FF while playing a cassette.) I asked him whats he up to . He said "we are waiting for the battery to get consumed a little bit so that the player can run normally. You see the shop keeper said that since the battery is very new it is making the player run fast. Once it is run for a few hours player will run slow and we will hear the music properly".

Regards,
amohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:59   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I believe I'm still lost.

What happened there?
You were missing your RayBan glasses, your friend got off the bike to help you search for them. You go to the hotel, etc. and come back dejected. Only to find your friend asking you "Where did you find the RayBan?"
And then it struck me, the glasses were right in front of my eyes all the time!

Is that the sequence of events as they happened?
Spot On! (Have to borrow someone's words.)
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:40   #224
Senior - BHPian

This is what happened today morning.

We have a Superb and a Laura in the house. As we all know, the keys for both are identical. Dad takes the Superb to office and I drive the Laura. Now, in a hurry to leave I pick the keys and walk down to the car. I press the unlock and nothing happens. I press it again. Nothing. I press lock. Nada. I press unlock. Nope, the car just wont unlock. All i could hear was a car locking/unlocking sound, but the doors wont open.

Frantic by now, I started thinking- this aint supposed to happen so soon. I mean, the battery shouldnt die so soon. Thoughts of calling the SA at Skoda started running in my head. Even thoughts of Skoda acting up did cross my mind.

By then , the driver (for the Superb) comes for his duty. Sees me and my efforts and laughs. I look at him angrily. Only to explain, Ive taken the Superb keys and the locking/unlocking sound is from the Superb!

Pronto, reach up home, dig for one of those key rings and put them on the Superb keys. No more confusion now!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:23   #225
Senior - BHPian

An incident from my first trip abroad:

The client had booked us into Hilton hotel and I knew it was an expensive hotel. So "Hilton is expensive" had been imprinted in my mind even before I boarded the flight.

Day-2 at the Hilton and I feel like having Coca-cola. It was freezing outside and I had seen Coke at the reception, so I head up to the reception and ask for it. The receptionist hands me the Coke and says "Dollar-Fifty". I'm shocked Fifty dollars for a Coke???!!!??? I put it back saying, "I don't want this". The receptionist, seeing my face, probably understood what was going through my mind and tells me, "Sir, it's one dollar fifty cents".
StarrySky is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks