Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:17   #316
BHPian

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

This incident is more than 30 years old. I have twin maternal uncles. They used to look absolutely similar. So one day they decided to play a prank on a barber. Both of them grew similar beards. Then one of them went to a barber shop and placed a bet that he will shave the beard and he will again grow the beard in five minutes , the barber said next to impossible. So he got his beard shaved and my other uncle went after five minutes in the same dress and get up but with a beard. The barber pulled his beard did many things to prove it was artificial beard and man we had a laugh like mad. Then finally both of them went together and the relief on the barber's face was seen to be believed.
dkhatau is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:48   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau
This incident is more than 30 years old. I have twin maternal uncles. They used to look absolutely similar. So one day they decided to play a prank on a barber. Both of them grew similar beards. Then one of them went to a barber shop and placed a bet that he will shave the beard and he will again grow the beard in five minutes , the barber said next to impossible. So he got his beard shaved and my other uncle went after five minutes in the same dress and get up but with a beard. The barber pulled his beard did many things to prove it was artificial beard and man we had a laugh like mad. Then finally both of them went together and the relief on the barber's face was seen to be believed.

Golmaal hai, bhai sab golmaal hai.. ...
And thus the movie came to be.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:06   #318
Senior - BHPian

After moving onsite, I was having a nightmare with logistical stuff. To the extent that I had acquired the status of a reverse Midas. Anything I touched required a lot of documentation and office visits, either to the local Mayor's office or the police prefecture/ constabulary. Within a few months I had racked up enough logistical issues that even some of the locals never had to find out (how/ where etc) in their lives.
After a particularly torrid week in which I even rode in the back of an ambulance, I thought I had seen it all. So during a routine leg pulling session, one of my local colleagues mentioned that I must have completed all the possible logistics and could possibly write a book on how to survive there. Another local mentioned jovially that "dont worry, he will find something else to do".
The same evening I returned home to find that I had left my passport in my trouser pocket. And it had come out of an extra hot cycle in the washing machine.
I ensured that no one ever made that jinxed statement again. Not that it helped a lot anyway.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd February 2012 at 11:08.
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:43   #319
Senior - BHPian

Last evening was meeting a few guys. I reached the place and proceeded to the table when I received a call. So I sat opposite our table to attend the call. During the call saw two missed calls. After ending the call,went to ourtable and started calling the numbers that I had missed.

Called one number and the person on the other end sounded familiar. Realised he was sitting next to me .
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:12   #320
BHPian

Yes, this is old and usual, But happened to me yesterday .

I use to keep my vehicle key near my computer once i reach office and i dont keep it my pocket while in office. I was about to leave for the day and my friend had dropped in my cubicle as we both planned to leave together. I found that the key was missing and started searching for it around my machine, drawer and even in the basket.

After some 5 minutes my friend was curious and asked what i was searching for, i told its the key.
He yelled what the hell i hold in my hand then

Last edited by BulZire : 3rd February 2012 at 16:14.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:32   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Yes, this is old and usual, But happened to me yesterday .

I use to keep my vehicle key near my computer once i reach office and i dont keep it my pocket while in office. I was about to leave for the day and my friend had dropped in my cubicle as we both planned to leave together. I found that the key was missing and started searching for it around my machine, drawer and even in the basket.

After some 5 minutes my friend was curious and asked what i was searching for, i told its the key.
He yelled what the hell i hold in my hand then
Just add Mobile and Sunglasses to that list.
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:34   #322
Mik
BHPian

This happened after 5 days on the road in my car.
Went to watch a movie. Sat down in the seat and..
Constantly reached over my right shoulder to pull down the seatbelt! Throughout the movie.
Mik is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 18:21   #323
Team-BHP Support

This happened in January 1986. I was still 16 and was a keen NCC cadet. I was training for the Republic Day parade at Bangalore, in front of the state Governor. While this training was nowhere as rigorous as the New Delhi RD parade training, we still had to attend rehearsals every alternate days at the Brigade Parade grounds next to M.G.Road.

As the D-day neared, we were asked to prep for dress uniform and attend the drill rehearsals in civilian dress. One such day, we got off the rehearsals and started cycling towards trinity circle. A fellow cadet and I were talking excitedly and I failed to notice the traffic signal turning red near Dickenson road. So I bumped my cycle hard into a cyclist in front of me and came to a halt.

The cyclist in the front was a big guy, he got off and turned towards me growling and ready to smack me around. I cringed and prepared for the fireworks to follow. And then he underwent a strange transformation. His face twisted from anger to confusion, and then to horror. He swiftly turned around, pushed his cycle and slunk away from the waiting traffic.

I was quite surprised by this strange reaction. With relief and puzzlement, I turned towards my fellow cadet, and suddenly the answer came to me.

Just like me, my fellow cadet in civilian dress had a .303 Lee Enfield Rifle slung across his back. We were actually riding towards the NCC Armoury to returns the rifles after the drill.

Now you can understand the reaction of that poor cyclist. Confronting a 16 year old cyclist carrying a rifle on his back must have been too much for his road raging mind.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 18:33   #324
Team-BHP Support

Heres one from my side -

I'm on this crowded road on the left lane, I've left enough place for bikers to pass and most go by. But this one chap hits my left mirror and folds it the wrong way and just drives off. I honk and keep it pressed, only then does he turn around to apologise (things like this make me hate most bikers, I mean cmon you hit someones mirror at least apologise on your own). The next biker folds my mirror back and I thank him.

I then press the button to see if the power folding function works, and all I hear is a motor grinding. Now I'm pissed, and the signal has started, so I catch up to this biker put down my window and tell him to stop on the side. Then cut my car in front of him and park. Sensing something a few lifeless onlookers are already standing around waiting for some commotion.

I start arguing with this guy asking him how he drives, and then doesn't even apologise. And that thanks to him my power folding function is spoilt and how I will have to pay so much blah blah. This fool doesn't understand what I am talking about and asks me to show him what he has done.

So I put on the ignition and press the power folding button hoping to show him the grinding noise and let him see what he has broken. But guess what, the mirror folds in silently and I'm left there looking like an idiot.

*facepalm*

I just told him how lucky he was it didn't actually break, and drove on.
Akshay1234 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 20:30   #325
Senior - BHPian

This happened today afternoon when I picked up my daughter from her bus stop. I was parked and I had to make a turn to go towards our home. When I saw a big enough gap in the traffic, I put the car in gear and started making the turn. Immediately, I noticed that the car was too slow to move. By the time I completed half the turn, the traffic was closing in fast. I thought I had started in 3rd gear instead of 1st and engaged 1st again. No improvement. Then just as I was slowly completing the turn - a loud beep from the car. My heart sank - the last time I heard such a beep was when the "Check Engine" warning came on after running through water. Loss of power, loud beep - it all fit. I thought my car was giving up on me. I completed the turn, stopped and checked the MID - no "Check Engine" warning! Then I found the reason for the "loss of power" - handbrake was engaged

Last edited by StarrySky : 6th February 2012 at 20:32.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 09:51   #326
Senior - BHPian

This is a real life incident from my college days. A batchmate decided to propose to a girl in his class. Here is the conversation.

Beginning of proposal.

Boy : Tum mujhe bahut acchi lagti ho (I really like you).
Girl : Apni shakal dekhi hai aayene mein (Have you seen your face in the mirror) ?
Boy : Tum bhi koi jannat ki huur nahi ho (You are no angel yourself) !

End of proposal.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 10:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Boy : Tum bhi koi jannat ki huur nahi ho (You are no angel yourself) !
If this incident happened in IIT Roorkee, I might just tend to agree with your friend given the past precedent in engineering colleges

Cheers
Old 7th February 2012, 18:30   #328
BHPian

Life's like that: Real life anecdotes.

My dad being an Ophthalmologist used to receive patients at home too. We had a German shepherd which was quite a handful and hated being tied up. He instinctively knew every time some one appeared at the gate he would get tied up.

One day I was washing the car, a Blind man accompanied by a kid arrived at our gate, before they could say anything I asked them to wait and started chasing our dog all over our garden and all around the car trying to chain him, after a little while I tied the dog up and came back to the gate, seeing the kid smiling and I opened the gate and I asked them to come in. This surprised the kid and the man,next the kid gave me a piece of paper

and asked me "House number 113 Joshi"

I just managed to say 3 doors next.

My parents had a hearty laugh, I bet even the dog was grinning

MP
motorpsycho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:10   #329
AVR
BHPian

The scene is our Machine Design viva in the Final Year of Mechanical Engineering. As usual, the entire semester went by without much attention given to academics except subjects of interest Dynamics and IC Engines.

In Gujarat Univ, the examiners for the viva are not internal faculties but from other universities only in the Final Year. Minor fact. Or so we thought.

The three of us who appeared for the viva together had been doing so all throughout (surnames were in alphabetical order). Each one of us had a strategy:
1) Me: Talk and veer it towards a sort of discussion and ask counter questions to "understand in greater detail" without really answering clearly. At the end, some profs would give me marks as they thought I was a keen student
2) Guy 2 - Say anything fast enough in English with engineering jargon thrown in
3) Guy 3- Stay quiet and stare. His strategy was that let the other two talk as that ensures he's not noticed and gets average marks.

Back to the day of the viva: Having a tough time and unfortunately none of the three strategies are working. Examiner 1 (prof in an earlier semester) is exasperated and was in a foul mood to begin with. He brings up the topic of attendance. The usual rant about not knowing stuff because we didn't attend lectures is going on.

Suddenly, he asks Guy 2 what course did Examiner 2 teach in 6th Semester. Trick question alert!. Duh! I know he's an external faculty who's never taught in our college. Sad part is Guy 2 doesn't. So he shoots in the dark "Metrology and Instrumentation". I start laughing hysterically. Hell breaks loose. We are all thrown out.

Sad part is I didn't top my department that semester just because I got 48/100 in that viva while the average Top 10 guy got 75-80/100.

Still makes me laugh!
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:43   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Now I'm pissed, and the signal has started, so I catch up to this biker put down my window and tell him to stop on the side. Then cut my car in front of him and park.

I start arguing with this guy asking him how he drives, and then doesn't even apologise. This fool doesn't understand what I am talking about and asks me to show him what he has done.
I was secretly hoping you stopped the wrong biker. That would have been priceless.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks