Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 21:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

No hope for this country at all

Take this as a rant or whatever. Right now, I'm beyond caring.

We have three tyre shops. One is on RV road. Abt 300 metres from south end circle. From South End circle onwards, for abt 3 kms, there are onky parks on either side of the road. Now that you have this image, read on.

Our shop has been operational for 19 years. It is my mom's baby. She was the one who took care of it in the initial stages, oversaw it;s growth and my dad has never had much of a say in the shop. MY mom is the one who handles the hiring and firing of people, keeps a tab on accounting, etc. OF course, the past few years, she has spent more time away from the shop but trust me, nothing escapes her notice.

"Namma Metro" (I take offence to this name. I dont want this freaking metro) issued a notice abt 2 yrs back saying that the whole building is going to be demolished as they have to build a metro station.

A case was filed by the landowners(we are just tenants) and the case was in the HC. Today we got the news that we have lost the case.

The main basis of our case was that there are more than 300 people working in this complex. If you demolish it, it will lead to these people being jobless. You can shift the metro station 300 metres down and then you can do whatever you want for 3 kms as it is all govt land.

Of course, our brilliant judges refused to see the logic and turned them down.

Now, we generally assume that the judiciary is the saviour of the masses when all hope is lost in the 542 monkeys(+innumerable smaller monkeys). This shows how wrong you were.

Logic and common sense dont have any place in our country. I dont see how we can ever dream that we can be a developed country. EVER. We are a pathetic nation filled with pathetic people(including me, because I dont do more than just talk and type).

This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I dont think sense and logic and reasonableness will ever play a part in the destruction of our nation(I purposely use the word destruction instead of development).

We have abt 20 people who work in the shop. Forget us. We're lucky enough that we have two more shops to fall back on. What about or employees? What are they going to do now?

Not to mention the emotional trauma my mom has to go through. This is her baby. She has managed this shop singlehandedly and two kids for the past 19 years. We all have fond memories of that shop. I remember going there in the afternoons after school and my mom used to get plain dosa from New Shanti Sagar which was opposite. My sister was a year old when the shop was opened. My mom used to go to the shop with the baby and make her sleep at the back while handling customers at the front.

Just recently, we had installed a 3D wheel aligner and a nitrogen inflator looking to offer more services to people. Why you ask? Because we honestly believed from the bottom of our hearts that the judiciary is sensible. They will not screw the lives of 300+ people just for 300 metres to government land.

We have learnt a bitter lesson. This country is run by brain dead morons and there are more of the same running the so called independant judiciary.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:07   #2
BHPian

Whoa! Calm down buddy.

Logical question: Cant you contest the judgment in the SC? Dont give up if your case is just. Hope that justice will prevail.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

We are not the ones fighting the case. It's being fought by a couple of landlords whose buildings are going to be demolished. I dont know the legalities of the case.

We are not even going to get a single paisa of compensation. Just whatever deposit we had given to our landlord.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:16   #4
BHPian

Are they giving the landlords compensation? Is it on par with the current market value? Or atleast close to it?
Old 12th February 2009, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

I totally understand your point Nikhil, I have seen many such wrong decisions made. I lost faith within 2 years of working in Software Industry and started my own business right away!

Most of the people here (governement, businessmen, workers so on..) borned to do cheating without looking future! Even If they have to pay for their mistake they won't learn a lesson which is very unfortunate.

About METRO case they are very aggressive to clear all cases irrespective of justice and value of the case they are turning it down to clear every hurdle to build METRO because deadline is near and this government want to show good progress!!

One way its good, but on other hand they forget justice. Few good people get hurt by this.

Proxima: About compensation yes government/METRO would sanction it, but as usual it won't match market value and that landlord cant occupy same golden land somewhere else because imagine Bangalore 18 years back and now. That time One could see their building from miles away! Now its difficult to sight it from other side of the road. So whoever doing business in that land have to build their business from the scratch again.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th February 2009 at 21:27.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

300m of government land (=some black earnings) is any day more important in this country than your mom's hard work. I sympathise with you.

On a more important level though, you can't possibly keep yourself unaware of the legalities of such a case when the stakes are so high. Don't lose hope, getting stay orders and wasting the judiciary's time is our country's favourite pastime.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Getting stay orders is the maximum you can get in such cases, and it will not only delay the whole metro project but also create 'great money earning potential' for many useless lawers and related groups. Losing business or house or office while a govt project is underway is very common throughout our country. Some are just and some are totally unjust, but end of the day common man loses all his time, money and efforts. If the employment of the 300 workers is highlighted well by an efficient lawyer, it might see some lights. Otherwise its just one of the 1000s of injustices that are happening in our country every day.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Happens everywhere Nikhil. For example, the entire districts of Udupi and South Canara (Mangalore) which are environmental sensitive has been designated as petro-chemical SEZ. Thus destroying practically the entire balance of nature in the region. Once the Udupi Power Project is complete, most of southern Udupi district would start breathing fine coal ash, my parents live in the affected area. The MPRL has already turned 1000s of acres of surrounding agriculture land un-usable due to oil leaks. Yes, that includes my dad's entire family's ancestral farmland, now totally barren.

The mining activity has wrecked hovoc not only in Bellary district, but all the Karantaka roads that lead to the sea. And all the mine owners are sitting in Vidhana Soudha, and they actually rule us.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:11   #9
BHPian

Dude, dont' file a case for stopping the metro, file a case for compensation.

Simple. give a case study of how much business you & the economy would loose on account of VAT loss & Excise loss if you were to shut down.

PM for further info.

Bjp govt ? hmm. pm please

Last edited by mmmjgm : 13th February 2009 at 01:14.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

actually! the land lord must have got very good compensation. Dunno the rate down there, but in rajasthan, recently people got a handsome amount, and they are millionaires for their barren land, for Palanpur- Udaipur express highway.

In delhi where ever they built metro station (mostly) there are shopping complex and malls. Havn't they planned for something like that down under.?
Old 13th February 2009, 01:47   #11
BHPian

I doubt it SirAlec. I heard about someone who was offered to be paid about 25Lakhs when the current going price was 5 crores

Last edited by neoranjit : 13th February 2009 at 01:50.
Old 13th February 2009, 03:16   #12
Team-BHP Support

Make a religious place nearby, get ten people who claim that they have been worshipping here for 20 years. Problem will get solved automatically. This is how things work in this corner of the world. Good luck!
Old 13th February 2009, 03:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow! So does this mean they are bringing down all the building on the same line as your shop?

Bad, very bad! Improper planning and then mess up the common mans life! God save us!
Old 13th February 2009, 08:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

A bad thing, but we cannot help it in any case. This is the abject reality and we have to accept this. The judiciary system has got so corrupt that even SC now has announced of the level of corruption.

A few incidences that came to my mind.
1) IIRC, Pervez Musharaff visited India many years ago. The place where he was to stay was kept such that he gets a direct look at Taj Mahal. During this time on the route on which he was suppossed to travel had some narrow lanes. The governemnt decided make that lane broad. They pulled down one house. Now the owner of that house had died along with his wife, and the house was occupied by his daughter and son. Both brother and sister were off to school when demolition was done. When they returned, they saw the goods of their house were lying on the road.
This article was there in Times Of India and/or Indian Express.

Compare this with the pain you have. Just think of those kids ( I remember that the our of the brother and sister, both of them were less than 20 years old and the brohter's age was in single digits ).

2) One of our family friend's son had tuition classes in Surat. He ran his family through this and had responsiblity of wife, parents and sister. His brother was also working with him. Both brothers managed good earning.
Suddenly they had some notice that the place where they are running tuition classes will be now road. They had bought that class ( basically more than one room in one multistorey bldg. ) legally and had all the necessary documents, but no one heard their voice.
Presently they are trying to run tuition at some other place but they are not as successful as earlier venture. They have now very small place to run the class.

Now we know the extent to which things can go wrong. Worst part is this:

Around a year ago, we got some letter from municipal co-orperation to prove that where we are living is not road. All the documents are with us and we are in touch with our contractor also, but you know the headache.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:02   #15
BHPian

Calm down Nikhil,

it happens,this is a democracy.

for that matter my grand father owned 1450 acres of land in my native when the land cealing acts came in 69 and 74 we lost all the land and where left with just 50 acres.

Most Viewed