Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 21:49   #61
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
I do not agree with statement, at least in my case it didn't happen or may be I have done it in recession time.
If you already have solid experience as PM then it will help otherwise I do not think so.
I did not imply that mere certification assures you an interview or a job. Recruiters will obviously look for experience and if you have the certification along with the experience, its an icing on the cake.

Besides, as condor pointed out, first of all you need experience to be eligible for the certification.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@smooth, Being PMP certified means that you have sufficient experience in Project Management. Not just passing a written exam.
@ Condor: A person having a experience in a lead position or managing people or supervisor experience are all eligible for PMP. Having a experience as a project manager is not the only criteria.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
From what I know, Prince2 is a methodology whereas PMBOK from PMI is a framework.

Both have their own advantages and it is just chosing one according to their project environment and needs. Some have both.

Prince2 is quite popular in UK and Europe where as PMP is popular in North America and South East Asia.
Ok I did Prince2 certification and attended training for PMP too and quite a bit of experiance working in both the environments. And what I think is both of them are methodologies and the difference between the two is:

PMP is more towards providing tools and techniques to individual (Project Manager) whereas Prince2 is more towards providing processes and controls to the Organization (including Project Manager, Project Board, etc.) in management of projects.

Last edited by humans : 13th January 2010 at 18:37.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:42   #64
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Ok I did Prince2 certification and attended training for PMP too and quite a bit of experiance working in both the environments. And what I think is both of them are methodologies and the difference between the two is:

PMP is more towards providing tools and techniques to individual (Project Manager) whereas Prince2 is more towards providing processes and controls to the Organization (including Project Manager, Project Board, etc.) in management of projects.
That is what I said right

You just explained it more than my simple words of 'framework' and 'methodology'

PMP as a framework - I meant the 9 knowledge areas and the 5 processes comprising the framework for any project
Prince2 as a methodology - I meant the process definitions.

Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post
Old 13th January 2010, 20:13   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post
Please don't say that (Sorry). We are just having healthy discussions and increasing our knowledge in the process too. This is the beauty of this forum, isn't it.

And same as in PMI and Prince2, sometimes our terminology can be different too, even when we are talking about same things.
Old 14th January 2010, 08:53   #66
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Ok!

Personally, I feel that any certification, whatever its popularity will not be a replacement to experience but will defintely be a value add.
The cert had a great influence when I got it specially among peers and the clients. The sub-ordinates respect you all the the more.

Having said that, if you are a linkedin user, you will come across many debates on which is the best certification, why projects are failing even with PMs with experience and many certs, does the senior management actually care about PMs...etc. Worth reading!
Old 14th January 2010, 14:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Ok!

Having said that, if you are a linkedin user, you will come across many debates on which is the best certification, why projects are failing even with PMs with experience and many certs, does the senior management actually care about PMs...etc. Worth reading!
Yes, I am registered on Linkedin, but haven't seen these discussions. If possible please send me the link. Thanks
Old 14th January 2010, 15:06   #68
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Yes, I am registered on Linkedin, but haven't seen these discussions. If possible please send me the link. Thanks
You can search for Project management link and Project management networking group groups and join them. There are n number of discussions on almost everything related to PM.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:44   #69
BHPian

cleared my PMP exam yesterday. I studied for 6 months and all went fine.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:58   #70
BHPian

Congrats dude I am sure you have some tips installed for us
Old 21st June 2010, 10:08   #71
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
cleared my PMP exam yesterday. I studied for 6 months and all went fine.
Congratulations! I'm sure its a great feeling. I was on a high when I cleared it last year myself.

Get ready take PDUs now
Old 21st June 2010, 22:04   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! I'm sure its a great feeling. I was on a high when I cleared it last year myself.

Get ready take PDUs now
Thanks Guys.

My suggestion would be that read PMBOK handbook once to get an idea of what they mean by Project management in Theory. Then read a good book (I would suggest that read only one good book) which will help you to memorize and apply what has been given in PMBOK.Reading too many books may confuse you.This is just my personal opinion.

I have used the book "Head First" PMP guide which I found very useful and non-boring.I have the softcopy of the same, PM me if you need it.

@JVH - I may need some insight to see how to get the PDUs. Will you be able to help me?
Old 21st June 2010, 23:07   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Guys.

My suggestion would be that read PMBOK handbook once to get an idea of what they mean by Project management in Theory. Then read a good book (I would suggest that read only one good book) which will help you to memorize and apply what has been given in PMBOK.Reading too many books may confuse you.This is just my personal opinion.

I have used the book "Head First" PMP guide which I found very useful and non-boring.I have the softcopy of the same, PM me if you need it.

@JVH - I may need some insight to see how to get the PDUs. Will you be able to help me?
Hi all,i came to know about this PMP only last week and happy to see a thread here

BTW i work for a .com company in marketing ,can i get into Project management ? or business analyst .

Am an MBA with ug in computers
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
can i get into Project management ? or business analyst .
It depends upon the role what you are doing. For PMP you need to have prior project management experience and there is an eligiblity criteria for writing the exam.

But,A business analyst with PMP certification is much desirable by many companies.What I would suggest is, become a BA, gain some experience and take the PMP certification.
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:14   #75
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sure buddy! The easiest way is to attend the PMI city chapters. You can get your PDUs and network as well.

If you cannot spare time at a different location, you can enroll for online courses. www.pmtrainingonline.com is one of the websites through which I got most of the PDUs. Its reasonably cheap compared to the other similar websites.

The other option is attend 2 full day seminars. This is most effective if your priority is networking with fellow Project managers. In India, its held once a year. There are conferences in some cities held every quarter, you'll get to know about these if you become a member of PMI (if you are not already).

For about 65 PDUs, it costed me about 430 USD. Yes, its almost equivalent to the fees of PMP exam.

There are several websites who offer free webcasts and webinars as PDUs but in my experience, there is not much you learn from these.

Hope this was useful. All the best!

Most Viewed