Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 20:35   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

greetings brothers (and sisters?)!

finished my S-ProjectPro from SABCONS in Nov 2009, but was too lazy to follow up! thanks to wifey (who always gets behind me when i get lazy), i've a deadline to finish my PmP certification - Aug 31st. this deadline has a or else clause

anywho, took almost three days to fill in all the project details (from past 8yrs). last night i finally submitted the application. waiting for PMI to get back (5days).

PS: for those planning to take up PmP certification - upto 6yrs back all the hours you enter are considered; between 6yrs and 7yrs, it is pro-rated (don't ask me how); beyond 7yrs is not considered. while filling up my experience, i had projects from 2002 and it showed entered hours xxx, qualified hours 0!!
Old 5th July 2011, 11:13   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a deadline to finish my PmP certification - Aug 31st.
Me too!! I have already got my application approved by PMI last month.
Preparations in progress
Old 5th July 2011, 11:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Preparations in progress
hehe.. exactly what happens when i open the PMBOK

btw, did you make the payment after the approval from PMI? have you scheduled the exam date?
Old 5th July 2011, 12:07   #139
BHPian

Hi All,

Getting mails from Knowledgewoods for the PMP certification.

http://www.knowledgewoods.in/PMP/

I am also planning to go for a PMP certification. Would like to know if it is advisable to enroll in such institute (Knowledgewoods)? Or I should look for another institute in Delhi NCR? Anybody got any experience with Knowledgewoods?

Thanks,
Irish
Old 5th July 2011, 12:22   #140
BHPian

Quote:
btw, did you make the payment after the approval from PMI? have you scheduled the exam date?
Not yet. I have not even paid for the PMI membership.
My system(body and mind) is undergoing a self-test. The day when I am able to read for 1 hour continuously, I will pay the fees.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:47   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi All,

Getting mails from Knowledgewoods for the PMP certification.

PMP Certification Training in Delhi,Bangalore,Mumbai,Hyderabad Noida,Gurgaon,Pune - KnowledgeWoods Consulting

I am also planning to go for a PMP certification. Would like to know if it is advisable to enroll in such institute (Knowledgewoods)? Or I should look for another institute in Delhi NCR? Anybody got any experience with Knowledgewoods?

Thanks,
Irish
Irish,
I've done my 4 day course from knowledgewoods in March and it was great. The trainer was excellent, though I'm yet to appear for the exams.

But getting the urge to prepare and give the exams, have set a September target. So please wish me luck.

Regards
Old 5th July 2011, 12:52   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Irish,
I've done my 4 day course from knowledgewoods in March and it was great. The trainer was excellent, though I'm yet to appear for the exams.

But getting the urge to prepare and give the exams, have set a September target. So please wish me luck.

Regards
if you've achieved 36 contact hours from a training institute for the PMBOK 4th edition, i suppose you should finish your certification prior to Aug 31st. i'm not too sure if the contact hours will be counted towards the requirements for teh certification post Aug 31st since the structure of PMBOK is changing.

anybody has information on this?
Old 5th July 2011, 12:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you've achieved 36 contact hours from a training institute for the PMBOK 4th edition, i suppose you should finish your certification prior to Aug 31st. i'm not too sure if the contact hours will be counted towards the requirements for teh certification post Aug 31st since the structure of PMBOK is changing.

I am not sure there would be any change to the contact hours as the PMBOK is the same, only the weightage across the 5 knowledge areas is changing. Rest all remains the same.
Have attached a document from PMI for the same.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PMP Examination Content Outline_2010.ashx.pdf (1.04 MB, 470 views)
Old 5th July 2011, 13:37   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Irish,

Regards
All the best Hiren!

But why did you not appear in the exams earlier? As mentioned in the advertisement of Knowledgewoods, one can appear in exam after attending their 4 days classes.

For a candidate, who has worked on all the phases of a project, lead a team and handled client as well, how tough is PMP to crack?

Need a feedback on Knowledgewoods student who is now a PMP. How much studies will be required after attending 4 days classes? etc. etc.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 5th July 2011, 13:55   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best Hiren!

But why did you not appear in the exams earlier? As mentioned in the advertisement of Knowledgewoods, one can appear in exam after attending their 4 days classes.

For a candidate, who has worked on all the phases of a project, lead a team and handled client as well, how tough is PMP to crack?

Need a feedback on Knowledgewoods student who is now a PMP. How much studies will be required after attending 4 days classes? etc. etc.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks for your wishes.

Well almost all institutes will have these tall claims, and moreover my company is not sponsoring my PMP endeavor as I am into test management and they have been urging me to go for CSQA, so I have to be absolutely sure that I am ready to give the exams. That's why I did not fall for the 45 day gimmick. And the exam is not exactly cheap.

Other thing is my work load shot through the roof immediately after the 4 day session, its starting to ease off now hence planning to appear in September.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:10   #146
BHPian

Quote:
post Aug 31st since the structure of PMBOK is changing.
Quote:
I am not sure there would be any change to the contact hours as the PMBOK is the same, only the weightage across the 5 knowledge areas is changing. Rest all remains the same.
Have attached a document from PMI for the same.
As far as my understanding goes, hiren is right.
Read my post on the previous page of this thread. (Post no. 132)

Quote:
Should not be very difficult. But it's lot of theory. You need to correlate your practical experience with PMBoK's defintions, sequencing activities, roles&responsibilities and principles, etc. I would say atleast 2 months if you spend an hour a day.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 5th July 2011 at 14:12.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

alright people, i got mail from PMI last night that my application has been approved and that i can go ahead and make the payment. since i was in the train when i checked my mail, i thought i'll wait till i get to my destination and then make the payment (we don't want the transaction to fail midway, now do we).

made a payment this morning and fortunately didn't get picked up for audit (phew!). unfortunately, there are no dates available in the Bangalore center for the next three months and i have to write the exam before end of August!
checked the Chennai center and got a date for August 19th! so, will be driving down to Chennai (again) and writing the exam and returning to Bangalore!

now all i gotta do is sit and study (yeah right, like that's gonna happen)!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th July 2011 at 12:59.
Old 9th July 2011, 18:06   #148
BHPian

Quote:
alright people, i got mail from PMI last night that my application has been approved
Congratulations !!!

Quote:
made a payment this morning and fortunately didn't get picked up for audit (phew!).
Is the audit picking done only after payment/scheduling or at the time application submission?

Quote:
unfortunately, there are no dates available in the Bangalore center for the next three months
Wot??? Is there only one centre in Bangalore? I thought we can take it in any Prometric centres.
Old 9th July 2011, 18:15   #149
Senior - BHPian

I finished my training with SABCONS yesterday and the trainer confirmed that the question pattern would undergo a minor change from end of August 2011.

Therefore what Hiren has stated seems to be correct.
Old 9th July 2011, 19:18   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I finished my training with SABCONS yesterday and the trainer confirmed that the question pattern would undergo a minor change from end of August 2011.

Therefore what Hiren has stated seems to be correct.
Vnabhi, How was the training, I am planning to register for this month's classes and hence the query.

Most Viewed