Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2018, 13:41   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I have been in the outsourcing industry for about 14 years all of which was in PM. I took up PMP certification and did a 35hr course as mandated way back in 2005, but never got to complete certification. Even then, my greatest years as a PM was between 2008 and 2013 with large scale programs and managing a multitude of PMs. I never felt the need for a certification apart from increasing your market value, but i guess the experience more than covered that area. And then i moved from PM to MC. 5 years on and still enjoying MC.

By the way, this is not to discourage any PMP takers, but is a perspective that i have. Industry has moved from waterfall to Agile. Its all about being SCRUM masters now.
I agree. I just moved to a Big4 and they were more interested in my ITIL and that PRINCE2 was a bonus. I have a CSM as well, however I have been asked to also take a SAFE 4 Agile certification training and exam which they will sponsor ofcourse. The time I was looking out I saw a lot of vacancies which mentioned they just need PMP trained people and certification is not a must. Now I have a different thought in mind. Should I do a distance MBA or not
Old 27th October 2018, 02:41   #257
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know any good PMP classroom training providers in Ahmedabad?
I am new to this place and this info would be of great help.
Old 27th October 2018, 15:43   #258
BHPian

Does PMP carry any weight these days?
Old 25th March 2020, 23:02   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally renewed my PMP certification with 51 days left in the suspension period. Was close !

I have been using webinars from The Great IT professional for the PDU's. Chanced upon a mail from the site for a discount coupon. $39 for the year instead of $199. Grabbed it - now will close out the 60 PDU's in the next few months.

Fairly good content there.

greatpro.org
code is M2020
valid till 31-march.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 01:49   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Finally renewed my PMP certification with 51 days left in the suspension period. Was close !

I have been using webinars from The Great IT professional for the PDU's. Chanced upon a mail from the site for a discount coupon. $39 for the year instead of $199. Grabbed it - now will close out the 60 PDU's in the next few months.

greatpro.org
code is M2020
valid till 31-march.
Thank you for this insight. I also renewed mine after I received a suspension mail. I was overdue by a day. I have used the same code as you have shared and got the PDU videos. I think its a good deal and appreciate your sharing that.
regards
Old 20th June 2020, 13:13   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Its a great concept, new companies especially abroad are structuring themselves in some interesting ways. But this will never work in India!!!
About 7 years ago I had asked whether we can do without managers in India, and many said no.

But thanks to COVID19, it may be happening now.

https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge...497299649.html
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 09:54   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
About 7 years ago I had asked whether we can do without managers in India, and many said no.

But thanks to COVID19, it may be happening now.

https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge...497299649.html
Amazing that you remembered this post. Yes it seems to be working quite well - if not better. Better Work life balance...
alter.e.go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:59   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Amazing that you remembered this post.
That's the peril of getting old. I can remember stuff from long ago, but can't remember which movie I saw on netflix yesterday.

But to the topic. I started a new company in Feb 2020, just before Covid19 hit the whole world. So I never got to setup a physical office. And now everyone prefers virtual office, thanks to cloud servers and WFH. So I am managing everything while sitting from home.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:57   #264
BHPian

Hi,

Any new PMP certified Bhpians, in the last 6 months?
Seems, the exam is very easy these days and also I can see lot of people updating "PMP certified" in the recent few months.

May be because the format is changing in 2021, and people are really investing the extra time from covid travel restrictions to prepare for the exam. But something tells me, it is a strategic move from PMI to ensure max people are pulled in to ensure PMPs relevance in the coming days.
Old 7th June 2021, 11:45   #265
Team-BHP Support

Is this a reality or just a joke? How are PMs getting used to this new reality in India?

Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?-chrome-legacy-window-07062021-113139.bmp.jpg

Since I was doing 50% WFH since 2010, it was not a major leap for me. But some of my colleagues had to make major adjustments. In future when offices open, I plan to make it infrequent. Say once in a week or so.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:20   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this a reality or just a joke? How are PMs getting used to this new reality in India?... In future when offices open, I plan to make it infrequent. Say once in a week or so.
we have been doing a lot of WFH over the years, and we are used to it. I still think working from office is more needed for certain delivery teams that need close interaction. For us, we work with people across the world, and does not make that much of a differece.

Yes, at least once a week working at office keeps the teams connected personally.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 10:14   #267
BHPian

Any bhpians taking/took PMP Certification recently? I have taken the mandatory PDUs nearly 18 months ago. Now that my current project is getting over by this month, I want to use the relatively lesser load next month to prepare and complete my PMP certification by August.

1. I already have an MBA/MMS from Mumbai University (Full Time)
2. Nearly 8 years of project experience out of which 3 years is of Project Management Experience
3. Does PMP certified professionals still in demand?
4. I am already 35 and not sure if there would be opportunities for settling in internationally for projects. Also considering what the world has or going through in this pandemic.

Have few questions to those who have successfully completed the certification or are in process like me:

1. Will 5 weeks be sufficient to read the PMBOK, take mock tests and able to pass the certification?
2. Rita Mulcahy book also need to studied before taking the test.
3. Any tips/suggestions and real life examples would really help.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 19th June 2021 at 10:22.
Old 19th June 2021, 11:56   #268
BHPian

Re: Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

Project Manager is itself not in demand nowadays. PMP truly may add value to your approach but not much to get you a job/hike. I would recommend study and practice, rather than putting the money there.

Rather I would spend the money on Scrum Master certification if you are not technically hands on in new technologies or full stack certifications for technical roles.
Old 19th June 2021, 13:00   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Project Manager is itself not in demand nowadays. PMP truly may add value to your approach but not much to get you a job/hike. I would recommend study and practice, rather than putting the money there.
That's quite discouraging however a food for thought. Indeed, experience has a lot of value over any certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Rather I would spend the money on Scrum Master certification if you are not technically hands on in new technologies or full stack certifications for technical roles.
I don't have a technical inclination and more interested in management. I understand, in IT specifically a technical consultant or solution architect has more probability of being a Project Manager. It saves cost for the company and also helps to have someone who is able to understand the technology and management principles as well.
Old 19th June 2021, 17:14   #270
PVS
BHPian

I am.a certified PMP renewed my certification in May 2020. Its a good certificate to have on your profile, however on a day to day perspective there's not much I can use from the PMBOK guide. I am billing as a Scrum master to the client, and am managing 3 scrum teams. I hold a couple of scrum certifications as well. The new " in " thing in the job market is the position of " Agile Coach", so getting a certification on Agile coaching is my next likely milestone. I am also trying to get a toe hold into information security..
PVS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed