Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 09:43   #1
BHPian

RSS Feeds Problem in my computer

I use IE8 RC1, on an old laptop with 1.6GHz centrino processor, 760MB of RAM and Win XP, to read the RSS feeds, including the Team-BHP one. The IE drains out all the RAM, while trying to load the Team-BHP feeds, with lots of photos. It takes a long time to load all the photos in the feeds. At times, it freezes up for a couple of seconds.

I have subscribed to a lot of feeds. I guess the 'msfeedssync' is trying to update all of them at the same time. And the photos in the feeds are compounding the issue.

Is it a unique problem that I face or any one else has the same problem? I guess using the fire fox extension sage or any other dedicated feed readers could mitigate the problem. But, I kind of like the IE interface, that's why I am sticking with the IE. And, of course buying a new powerful computer would certainly help.

Would it be possible for Team-BHP feeds to have very low resolution thumbnails, instead of the higher resolution photos. It would certainly help lesser geeky ones like me.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Switch to some other browser / RSS reader. Firefox, Safari, Opera etc. have better memory management. Perhaps you could try them out before deciding. Why are you trying to live with the problem, which in this case is IE8?
Old 25th February 2009, 09:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been using feedreader for a long time now and works perfectly for me.

Also regarding the photos, FeedReader only loads the photos when you view that particular thread. I think that there is an option, but am not sure.
Check it out
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:18   #4
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. The only reason I was stuck on IE feed reader was that I liked its plain, unassuming interface. I did some research on the problem and came up with the following:

1. Using "Active Ports", I found out that when IE is updating the feeds, there are so many instances of 'msfeedssync.exe' trying to update all the feeds at the same time.
  2. The windows has a limit for the number of concurrent TCP connection attempts. The event viewer has warning logs that this limit has been reached.
  3. From the net I ound that there is a patch available to increase this limit.
  4. After applying this patch, the IE is still memory intensive, but the feed updates gets over much faster.
  5. When there are lots of images of higher resolution, it still takes some time. But, the experiance is much better than before
Anyways, now i use Firefox and sage to view the feeds, when i have trouble with the IE.
Attached Thumbnails
RSS Feeds Problem in my computer-active-port.jpg  

RSS Feeds Problem in my computer-event.jpg  

Old 4th March 2009, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Why not try Google Reader? I had my TechNet RSS on IE8 and Office 2007. Once day I left IE8 and moved to IE7 on another box and O2K7. Most of them stopped updated suddenly. Slowly and painfully, I moved them all to GoogleReader and I'm so happy now. Not only it parses them properly but also downloads all the posts made on the link. It is so flexible that I really like it now.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've too started using Google Reader today and its great.

I always wanted a solution to read RSS feeds on my communicator, and as google reader has a web page for mobile applications, Its perfect for me!!!
Further its pretty light on the network usage front too, so when I am using GPRS, it wouldn't load the data bill too.
All I did was export feeds from feed reader and import them on Google Reader.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

@harjeev, if you are looking for a 3rd party app, Resco News is a decent RSS feed-reader which works well with the E90. You can download feeds and read them offline also (in case you go out of coverage area).
Old 4th March 2009, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@harjeev, if you are looking for a 3rd party app, Resco News is a decent RSS feed-reader which works well with the E90. You can download feeds and read them offline also (in case you go out of coverage area).
Thanks Hydra
That would be great
Ill try it soon...

Most Viewed