Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 13:41   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: And the Oscar goes to !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
We have become better at meeting the requirements for eligibility and all the lobbying that is usual.
Such things seldom get talked about no?

RRR team spent around Rs.80CR for lobbying as per some news reports. Wonder just how much money is spent overall for just "lobbying"!
Old 15th March 2023, 13:56   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

RRR team spent around Rs.80CR for lobbying as per some news reports. Wonder just how much money is spent overall for just "lobbying"!
Yesterday I saw the video by Palki Sharma on Firstpost about the lobbying for Oscar award.

Old 15th March 2023, 14:22   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

When you enter the game, you can't play coy. Lobbying is a serious business in the US. It is the ( mostly) invisible hand behind many deals and campaigns.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:19   #274
Senior - BHPian

You know the rules of the game.

You enter the contest, knowing well the rules of the game.

You play the game, by the rule.

You win the contest.

A few say that the team members aren't from their area/speak their language and so the win isn't worth celebrating.

Others aver that the very game and the rules which dictate it aren't fair and therefore need not be taken seriously.

Some folks argue that the quality of the game and the caliber of the players this year cannot hold a candle to those of the previous years. Ergo, this win isn't really a win.

Everybody is certain about one thing: You aren't really an achiever - Not U, Not U, Not U!!!

Obviously, grapes unreachable are always sour.

Meanwhile, a few people appreciate and applaud the victory. The winning team is dancing its way to glory saying Not just me, Not only me - but all of US; hoping that it will take care of whispers about the elephant in the room.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:39   #275
BHPian

Recognition is always good. Hope it encourages other movie industries in India to create good things. World should know how we are not one in many things and but still one as country.

Everything is relative and the best won.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 16:49   #276
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the noob question but what exactly does lobbying mean in this context? What and how do they lobby for?
Old 15th March 2023, 16:55   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Sorry for the noob question but what exactly does lobbying mean in this context? What and how do they lobby for?
There probably are different means and methods employed for lobbying but this New York Times article gives a fair overview of one such case where lobbying helped push a certain "decision" in the unpopular case surrounding the actress Andrea Riseborough.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 22:51   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
As far as I have heard of it, lobbying is the practice of convincing a group of people to agree with your thought/decision and support your actions and arguments.
It is a widespread practice used in many places to gain a upper hand.

In this case, they must have used it to show how popular this song became with every 2nd YouTube Short/Instagram Reel has two people entering the screen and happily shaking their legs.
With the advent of social media, such activities have become pretty important.

BTW, I had made the effort of listening to all the versions of this song when it had released in the start of 2022
I kind of liked it, as I generally like listening to such peppy tunes and I liked Keeravani garu's work in both installments of the Baahubali franchise.

But I still don't know the reason behind selecting this particular song out of the others used in the film. The other songs have a lot of bass and deep voices in them. They will still impress the avid listener.

Anyways, hats off to team RRR for this achievement!!!
Old 18th March 2023, 13:43   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Let's not forget an even bigger achievement. The Elephant Whisperers won the Best Short Subject Documentary Oscar. It was such a beautifully written and filmed story. Richly deserved.

I was also hoping that All That Breathes wins Best Documentary but it was not to be. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance which was a staggering achievement.

Attachment 2428294
Thank you. IMHO the short documentary win outshines the RRR song. Pity we witnessed the usual Oscar management's bad manners and bias at play against non-American, non-male, non- white participation
https://twitter.com/theronfilm/statu...2F98734676.cms
Old 18th March 2023, 23:08   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID7115 View Post
But I still don't know the reason behind selecting this particular song out of the others used in the film.
I guess it is the dance element. People in other countries are going crazy dancing to it.

Pakistan: https://twitter.com/hvgoenka/status/1637017966867886082

Japan: https://twitter.com/UdaySRao/status/1637026576675278848
Old 18th March 2023, 23:14   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I guess it is the dance element. People in other countries are going crazy dancing to it.
Perhaps yes, as I only see people dancing to it's peppy beats. Even Virat Kohli did so on the field in the ODI against Australia.
Old 19th March 2023, 21:29   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID7115 View Post
Perhaps yes, as I only see people dancing to it's peppy beats. Even Virat Kohli did so on the field in the ODI against Australia.
In second ODI the whole team is dancing to Starc
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 10:02   #283
BHPian

I listened to the song some time ago and it didn't feel any different to those trash that gets out these days. To top it, the picturization was pretty cringe-worthy. As usual, it had a bunch or actors dancing (close to gymnastics) to a mediocre song.

I will never understand the Indian movie viewer's never-ending fascination for trash.
Old 20th March 2023, 10:38   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I will never understand the Indian movie viewer's never-ending fascination for trash.
Well you know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure

Me? I couldn't care less for the song though my wife likes it. But a win is a win and recognition is always good for the people involved.

Oh well
Old 20th March 2023, 21:18   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like Koduri SS Dutta also thinks it is about the dance.

Is 'Naatu Naatu' a song, where is the music in it, questions veteran lyric writer Koduri Siva Shakthi Datta!

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainm...ta/ar-AA18PXjL

He may not get too much blowback from the RRR team, considering he is the father of MM. Keeravani and uncle of SS.Rajamouli.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks