Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:22   #46
BHPian

Here's the Link -

'Slumdog' rules Oscars with 8 prizes, best picture

Last edited by CaliforniaKnight : 23rd February 2009 at 11:23.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:28   #47
BHPian

Its amazing! Never seen so much Indian presence in Oscars! Rehman's speech was brilliant! What an artist!
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to A R Rahman and Pookutty. They have done the country proud. These 3 awards are the ones truly for our country. Fantastic achievement. Take a bow guys !!!

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd February 2009 at 15:09.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:46   #49
BHPian

Its indeed a moment of great pride for us Indians. Congratulations to A.R.Rahman, he deeserved it.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quite an emotional moment for the entire country. Well done A R Rehman and Resul Pookutty! You have done us proud!!

What is most heartening is the fact that, like the theme of the movie, both Rehman and Pookutty came from humble backgrounds. This is the Great Indian Story.

Make no mistake, the movie has provided a platform for Indian artists and technicians to tell the world that we have arrived and we are here to stay!
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Heart felt congratulations to Rahman & Resul! Great job and they have proved us Indians to the world!
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Damn !!! 8 in total out of 9 !!! Anyways - Hats off to the crew of Slumdog !!
Isn't it 8 out of 10? As far as I know it had 10 nominations.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:04   #53
BHPian

Chk this interview out . Ryan Seacrest and the actors.
A bit of a goof up, but I think they held their ground well.

Ms Pinto, she has loads of attitude. I sure hope all that doesnt backfire, and that she makes good use of being in the lime light.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Slumdog Millionaire: Celebration of the Stereotype or Oscar?

I hate to play a cynic here but I dont think Slumdog deserved so many awards. Best movie award is a bit too much imho. There are basic flaws in the movie but then thats discussion for some other day.
The movie fits the westerners stereotype about India to a 'T' andd so does the other documentry, smile pinky. Giving an Oscars is like celebrating that stereotype and I am not at all happy about it.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

I just can't portray my ecstasy in words. I'm in cloud 9. Should be there for a week,atleast.
I bow to you, Isai puyaley.
Jai Hind!
For those who missed it:

Last edited by nitrous : 23rd February 2009 at 14:45.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

The Oscar goes to a British Director who made a movie on India, that celebrates the westerners stereotype and we are celebrating.
The only silver lining in the cloud is that AR Rehman has finally been awarded for his brilliant music although I must mention 'Jai Ho' isnt the best from him.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:02   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The Oscar goes to a British Director who made a movie on India, that celebrates the westerners stereotype and we are celebrating.
The stereotype is not entirely wrong. Anyways lets celebrate this, in these times its heart warming.

When i first heard the Roja song even though i hardly knew a word from it, i liked it.

AR Rehman congratulations.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The only silver lining in the cloud is that AR Rehman has finally been awarded for his brilliant music although I must mention 'Jai Ho' isnt the best from him.
I quite agree with you on that. There are actually only three awards we should celebrate, 2 for Rahman and 1 for Pookutty. I never really liked the movie in itself, I thought it was hyped too much and they only portrayed the India(or Mumbai) the Westerners wanted to see. Along with the slums they could have also shown the other side of the City. These guy should know Mumbai or India is not just about slums.

As for the soundtrack I am happy to see that 'SlumDog' got Rahman the recognition of the Oscars but his previous works in Bollywood are leagues ahead then what the Slumdog OST is. Infact I dont like 'Jai Ho' at all.

Great to see an Indian technician getting an Oscar though. A proud moment.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Stereotype ? We should now look at ourselves and set things right before we start seeing award winning movies made out of us every year. Danny Boyle has just shown the tip of the iceberg for other movie makers.
OT, there are countless movies like this made by Indians. Somehow, we don't care about movies with messages or reality.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:23   #60
BANNED

The movie's title is S-L-U-M-D-O-G M-I-L-L-I-O-N-I-R-E, i.e Slumdog Millionaire and the story is based on the life of a boy who stays in slums and goes on to win a million rupees.

Why does this movie need to show the Indian IT professional using a blackberry and flying first class to work on projects for the US companies to California?

Or Ratan Tata inking the deal to buy Jaguar and LR? Or Vijay Mallaya in his yatch.

Why dont all the guys trying to say that it portrays India in bad light try and understand that a movie is a movie is a movie.

Oh and for heavens sake he didnt shoot in a set in film city it is in real slums that he shot the movie.

Its there, open your eyes.

I didint find the movie anything to rave about but it did give a lot of people connected to the film industry in India get an insight into the making of a Oscar winning movie. I am sure each one from AR Rehman to the clap boy(do we have those) will remember the movie winning the oscar as the most important event of their life EVER!!!

How many of us can say that something we worked on got the nod from the world at the pinnacle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks