Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Isn't it 8 out of 10? As far as I know it had 10 nominations.
Although it received 10 nominations, it could have won a max of 9 since AR Rahman got noms. for 2 songs, of which the one with Gulzar (Jai HO) got the prize. So, Slumdog won 8 out of the max 9 it could have got.

What does Priyadarshan has to say about this. He did write something in the latest India Today. This guy directed such films as Mere Baap Pehle Aap, Bhool Bhulaiya, and other such outstanding films.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th February 2009 at 00:01. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:51   #62
F50
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to A.R.Rahman and Resul! Only 3 awards belong to India.
Honestly, I havent even seen the movie and didnt like the music that much. Not the best of Rahman!

But felt extremely proud when A R Rahman spoke Hindi and Tamil words. And later he sung a Hindi song! Who would have imagined Hindi songs being played at Oscars!!

If Lagaan was directed by Danny Boyle, it would have won 10/10 awards! Much much better film, great music, great acting!
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:59   #63
BHPian

This movie provided an ideal platform for AR REHMAN to expose his mettle,whether this will rank as his best performance is another question.
We are proud of you SIR Rehman.

tnx
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

@Dippy and Extreme- Exactly my views. Am glad for Rehman but he should have got this way way before. Somehow the movie does not strikes a chord with me at all. His best work remains - Vande mataram and nice ones - Roja,Mumbai and even dilli 6 has better soundtracks.

And best director for it- well what must be mr. Aamir Khan thinking whose 'Taare Zameen Par' was much better movie if we see it in technical way and still does not even make it to the nominations! He should have been a white

Last edited by harry10 : 23rd February 2009 at 16:05.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The movie's title is S-L-U-M-D-O-G M-I-L-L-I-O-N-I-R-E, i.e Slumdog Millionaire and the story is based on the life of a boy who stays in slums and goes on to win a million rupees.

Why does this movie need to show the Indian IT professional using a blackberry and flying first class to work on projects for the US companies to California?

Or Ratan Tata inking the deal to buy Jaguar and LR? Or Vijay Mallaya in his yatch.

Why dont all the guys trying to say that it portrays India in bad light try and understand that a movie is a movie is a movie.

Oh and for heavens sake he didnt shoot in a set in film city it is in real slums that he shot the movie.

Its there, open your eyes.

I didint find the movie anything to rave about but it did give a lot of people connected to the film industry in India get an insight into the making of a Oscar winning movie. I am sure each one from AR Rehman to the clap boy(do we have those) will remember the movie winning the oscar as the most important event of their life EVER!!!

How many of us can say that something we worked on got the nod from the world at the pinnacle?
You have completely missed the point here. It took a 'stereotype' for them to acknowledge AR Rahman and the others. I dont want to delve deeper into it but there can be better movies on a better subject but alas they wont like it coz it doesnt fit the stereotype westerners point of view on India. If you want to celebrate the Indian Stereotype, do I cant and I wont. The point here is that Slumbog isnt good enough to win an Oscar, far from it infact, but it did and we know why.

As I said I am very very glad that finally AR Rahman's work has been acknowledged though this was from his best.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 23rd February 2009 at 16:09.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:13   #66
BHPian

guys just wanted to ask you that where and when can i see the recorded version of the Oscars? Or on the internet or something like that? any link which you guys can post?
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:14   #67
Team-BHP Support

The work that earned him the Oscars are very ordinary compared to his work in Roja, Bombay or Taal.

Let's just say he deserved it for his life's work rather than SDM. Finally everybody will remember his Oscars, not the work in SDM.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
guys just wanted to ask you that where and when can i see the recorded version of the Oscars? Or on the internet or something like that? any link which you guys can post?
Rediff's ishare has some video's.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:18   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Its weird.

We speak badly to our fathers in private.

If someone else (even the wife) speaks badly to our father we get enraged. Weird isn't it? It's like we have a god-given right to speak badly to our parents but no one else may do the same.
What's my point?

We despise the poor and uneducated in India. Those who do not despise, pity. Both can be terrible crimes.
We watch Hindi movies about munimjis raping widows for loans, we watch movies about people dying for lack of food, hungry children being made into thieves and we watch it in silence. Because in our heart we know it isn't real right?
And yet when the whole world is watching the very same thing, we're squirming in our pants and wondering about the "impression" we're making of India on the world.

Funny na? If a movie about this was made in India, by Bollywood and an Indian director, we would not have been squirming so much. But this is an international movie. Now we're thinking of what our friends and acquaintances abroad will think of when we say that we live in India.
I'm guilty too!

I am happy that India is on the map, one way or the other. I am happy to see Indian dancers on the stage. I am happy to see A.R. Rahman make the classic Indian mistake of swapping the word "marriage" for wedding.

And I didn't even like the movie. And the music was quite OK frankly, by Rahman's standards.

Strictly my opinion of course, I mean no offense.

And I don't think people will think only of slums when they think of India. No more than they think of slums when they think of Brazil.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 23rd February 2009 at 16:20.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:19   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
Re-telecast today at 9pm on star movies!
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:27   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am happy to see A.R. Rahman make the classic Indian mistake of swapping the word "marriage" for wedding.
Hey, what happened? You generally swoop down on such mistakes?
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:36   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hey, what happened? You generally swoop down on such mistakes?
I said I was happy to see it happening. I didn't say I'd let it go, lol

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1184650
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Well said, Sam! In your own inimitable way!

Earlier there were many abroad who believed most Indians lived in the trees. Perhaps because there was no space left on the ground because of all the snake charmers!
Those people can now believe that most Indians live in the slums of Mumbai!
More than two decades ago, Peter Sellers made a nice movie about 'the multitude of coloured balls' .....Hrundi Bakshi!!

Should that be reason for us not to feel proud at this moment?
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The work that earned him the Oscars are very ordinary compared to his work in Roja, Bombay or Taal.

Let's just say he deserved it for his life's work rather than SDM. Finally everybody will remember his Oscars, not the work in SDM.
Agree 100% , i think its because of the impact of this film has had on the world earned A.R. Rahman the oscar , none the less he is great music director and an even better human being . I am happy to see Indian talent being recognized and i would also be happy if the makers of SDM could pay more money to those child actors.
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Congrats to AR Rehman. He should have got this a long time ago.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed