Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:51   #91
Team-BHP Support

I just saw the movie today evening. I am baffled. If I consider the top 100 movies I have seen, the SDM won't find a place in it. Even if I consider top 50 Indian movies, still no luck for SDM.

This movie won 8 Oscars? This is a joke.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:20   #92
BHPian

Be proud samu, now our slums and underprivileged culture is a new export !

The movie is no great shakes for an Indian who sees this daily,

Alternatively to rephrase the win, do you go out and eat the same things you get cooked and served to you at home ? Well most people don't, similarly SDM won't hold any appeal for people who see this day in and day out.

Cheers
Old 24th February 2009, 00:26   #93
BHPian

guys its a movie..lighten up ..jeez some people here cant appreciate anything!
Old 24th February 2009, 00:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Raj- You are mistaken. Everyone appreciates Rehman and i think he is the most loved and talented musician in India. The point many people are making is he deserved it for better compositions way back as his best work is not SM.
@Tanveer- agree with you. My opinion- Anil Kapoor was absolute failure as the host(considering they showed KBC whose original host was Amitabh bachan and Anil is playing his character). He was over the top all the time and didn't looked way bit a KBC host.
For me real actors were those 2 kid brothers and other slum kids.
Failure as the host in the movie he may be but he has just been offered to host the next season of KBC. The KBC guys were really impressed it seems. I fail to understand how. If he eventually ends up bagging the show, watch the money flow in for Anil Kapoor.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:42   #95
Senior - BHPian

Is the music by AR Rehman for SDM is his best? Certainly not.
But should he had got the oscar's for his earlier compositions? Definitely not. You see, it's technically not possible to give him Oscar for his older compositions. Because, because those compositions were done for his Indian movies(be it Tamil or Hindi or any other Indian language) and this Oscar thing is for a Hollywood movie. So, asking for giving him Oscars for his older compositions is like asking Filmfare to give away Oscar to an SDM or a Dark Knight.

Can we read someone else's mind? We can't. So when someone says that Rehman was thinking that getting Sukhwindar with him would steal the show and that's why AR didn't take SS to Oscars is nothing but mere speculations. So it's better not to make comments like that.

Calling ARR as idiot shows our narrow mentality only. I think that none of us here can achieve or even dream about achieving what this guy has achieved(even if we forget about Oscars).

Disclaimer: Even I feel that SDM is not a great movie to win so many Oscars but anyway last year we've seen No Country getting the Oscars. Or maybe their timing of the movie was good as there were not many great movies around this year.

Please don't take my comments personally as I also merely wanted to voice my opinion as everyone else.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 24th February 2009 at 00:43.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just saw the movie today evening. I am baffled. If I consider the top 100 movies I have seen, the SDM won't find a place in it. Even if I consider top 50 Indian movies, still no luck for SDM.

Movies are not science with only one universal truth. Your top 100 movie list may be different from mine, and mine may be different from someone else, and thus the above quote should be fairly considered as your opinion.

Since I am in a mood for opinion, can we consider this probability: If slumdog was an Indian movie made by an Indian director, would it have won Oscars. We have to assume that some Indian directors are capable (and in my opinion they are). Equally importantly, would it have won any of the major Indian awards-say Filmfare, Screen, and the numerous others. Who gets this awards-Ranbir Kapoor as the most promising newcomer, Shahrukh Khan, and all the other A-listers. Danny Boyle is not an A-lister, and had initial problems in getting distribution.

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th February 2009 at 09:45.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:41   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
guys its a movie..lighten up ..jeez some people here cant appreciate anything!
You almost said it. We have a sense of justice. We can't appreciate Just Anything just because it raked up so many Oscars.

Hey, we are happy an Indian themed movie won so many Oscars. But the production quality, fluidity of the story, acting performance, music, thrills and EQ of Lagaan (the only other recent Indian movie at Oscar) was way way ahead of SDM. But being a non-English movie, it couldn't make similar impact at the Oscars.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Rahman could have taken the singer along, but he knew that if he had done so, then instead of him singing in his not so good voice, sukhwinder will sing the song on stage, and steal the limelight. Thats why he did not take him to oscars with him.
Btw, Sukhwinder and Rahman were supposed to go to the ceremony for performance. Sukhwinder could not patch in at the last moment due to some incomplete paperwork. There was some delay in processing because of which his performance visa got delayed.

Here is the news snippet :-

Sukhwinder misses Oscar ceremony, but very happy for Rahman - Yahoo! India News

As far as Rahman is concerned, he is the only musician now who gives due credits to all the artists (musicians and chorus singers included). Its because of him that we recognise artists like Sivamani, Flute Naveen, Sukhwinder Singh, Hema Sardesai, Karthik, Srinivas, Naresh Iyer etc.

If Rahman had to steal the limelight, he would have never brought these musicians to limelight.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 24th February 2009 at 10:34.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

How many Oscar winning movies have you actually seen, samu ? apart from the blockbusters ? Try watching a few and then give your opinion. We are all not multi faceted. Give credit where it is due or hold your peace & just express an opinion, don't call it a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Is the music by AR Rehman for SDM is his best? Certainly not.
But should he had got the oscar's for his earlier compositions? Definitely not. You see, it's technically not possible to give him Oscar for his older compositions. Because, because those compositions were done for his Indian movies(be it Tamil or Hindi or any other Indian language) and this Oscar thing is for a Hollywood movie. So, asking for giving him Oscars for his older compositions is like asking Filmfare to give away Oscar to an SDM or a Dark Knight.

Can we read someone else's mind? We can't. So when someone says that Rehman was thinking that getting Sukhwindar with him would steal the show and that's why AR didn't take SS to Oscars is nothing but mere speculations. So it's better not to make comments like that.

Calling ARR as idiot shows our narrow mentality only. I think that none of us here can achieve or even dream about achieving what this guy has achieved(even if we forget about Oscars).

Disclaimer: Even I feel that SDM is not a great movie to win so many Oscars but anyway last year we've seen No Country getting the Oscars. Or maybe their timing of the movie was good as there were not many great movies around this year.

Please don't take my comments personally as I also merely wanted to voice my opinion as everyone else.

Very very well put kaushik. I think it is time we stopped pretending & accept realities. Our move industry has been churning out masala movies for kingdom come that we cannot accept foreigners coming in & taking a story out of our pages and casting it as it has to be & winning international acclaim for that.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

There are so many aspects to a well made movie that its impossible to even start to comprehend the mastery that goes into making of a film by merely watching it once or twice. Someone else, who is much more knowledgable about camera angles, informed that the scene in SDM in which the kids are running through the slums is from the camera angle of a sleeping dog. I didnt know that until it was pointed out.

So, excuse me here if i put a little more faith in the decision of the oscar committee than in critics (self styled or otherwise). I'd like to believe that they base their decisions on something more than the common man's response.

AR Rahman and Resul Pookutty deserve applause for the oscars. Whether they actually deserve the oscars or not, i dont know. So, i am just going to be happy for them that the people who matter think they did deserve the oscars.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:47   #101
BANNED

Quote:
IIRC some dude here was even posting things like some saying in hindi about those who can't do don't know what its worth. So according to this chappie, critics critisize because they cannot do, and nobody should critisize unless its done ourselves. There goes the entire movie critic press poof in a smoke! Great logic. I salute thee
Its not chappie, its Spitfire. Your are a MOD?? Next time try to go back and see who has put in those comments before calling chappie, etc. Its on the same page. Dosent look good when you are a MOD. Does it?

Try not to get personal. Its one of the ethics of this forum.

I never heard a film critique calling an artist an ungrateful person(you compared ARR to an ant!!!). Thats what film critics do?

Quote:
Shameful. Good they went to Oscars and exposed themselves. But I don't think anybody cares, since the sole aim for the existence of our bollywood film industry is an oscar, and now thankfully they can retire and spare us B grade movies which torture us every weekend.
This is a hollywood film why are you pulling Bollywood in it? The crew and some of the cast is very much form Bollywood though.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rahman could have taken the singer along, but he knew that if he had done so, then instead of him singing in his not so good voice, sukhwinder will sing the song on stage, and steal the limelight. Thats why he did not take him to oscars with him.
You should be writing page 3 stuff. Beautiful writing & excellent ideas.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

The problem is people who awarded the movies saw something that we didn't. But then we see the things in the movie everyday and we have preserved it that way without doing anything.

Most people abroad are appreciating the life, the hope and everything that this movie depicts. We are talking about the bad things it shows about our country. I think there is a huge gap in perception here.

I have talked my friends over in the U.S and they have all enjoyed the movie along with the vibrant life it shows.

One director in Kannada was responding to critics who said there is too much optimism, hope and happy endings in his works. He responded by saying "A movie is not about just showing real life, you already know about it. Its the hope that needs to be kept alive"
Old 24th February 2009, 11:08   #104
Team-BHP Support

Oh it was you? I did not really read all comments in detail, just skimmed through. And where does a MOD bit come in. However if you do not want to be reffered as a dude/chappie, I will refrain from doing so in the future.

As for Rahman and Sukhwinder thingie, I did not like the fact that he did not thank the singer in his acceptance speech. I did not even like the way Anil Kapoor behaved. And you know what got me the most worked up? The slum kids deserved the most limelight. The movies most interesting parts are the ones involving the slum kids. Remember the scene in which the little kid comes out of a septic tank. They are the ones who add the color and life to the movie. All the later parts are just common drama with no USP.
The most remarkable scenes, and the most riveting scenes of the movie are the ones involving these slum kids. Yet all I see in newspapers is Rahman Rahman etc., etc., The kids are just getting a small column.
A question for everybody here, how many of you even know the names of the slum kids who played the part.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:36   #105
Senior - BHPian

I am not qualified to pass judgment on SDM (I saw it in the theatres, really liked it, and if it got 8 awards, then it must have deserved it). But I also saw Dark Knight in the theatres, and consider it perhaps my best movie experience ever. However, it got perhaps 2 awards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks