Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 08:59   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
MRP for the same in India as printed on the box is 6790.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Shankar and Benny,

Serengeti is just awesome but my pair of Maui Jim has surpassed it in terms of glare and haze reduction, especially the dash reflection on the windshield from within and the color richness.
Thanks, Benny.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I was never a fan of goggles until I purchased my MJ.

3. Extremely light - I often forget that I am wearing it. Its legs are so flexible and just wraps around my head without giving any pressure on the ears. I am worried that someone would handle it carelessly thinking it is a cheap model. I have seen many people who think heavy goggles with some metal on it are expensive. This may be a con also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thanks a lot Adil

I shall follow suit basis your endorsement!

I believe I get enhanced visibility with my Serengetis in twilight conditions and slightly greyer days as well as when Im driving on a road which has a green tree canopy/ cover. My Carrera's are too dark in such circumstances.
So far the best I have experienced have been the Serengeti's.
I dont mind trying a pair of Maui's too so that I too, like you, enjoy the best of both worlds!
I use the same (New In Box Maui Jim 421-02 Sugar Beach Sport Sunglasses (Rs. 10067)) . I initially thought it was a cheap lens since it was too damn thin and light! Those who wear fast track or aviators will feel so IMHO.

You just forget its there parked on your nose. Its look flimsy but kudos to the quality/construction!

Donno why, have a thing for Oakley and will get one in future.

About Serengetis, used it once. Loved it instantly! Was a snug fit and love what I saw though it!

I was also told by Sankar ( whos' glass I checked) that it helps a lot if your are during in heavy rain.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:20   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I use the same (New In Box Maui Jim 421-02 Sugar Beach Sport Sunglasses (Rs. 10067)) . I initially thought it was a cheap lens since it was too damn thin and light! Those who wear fast track or aviators will feel so IMHO.
Did you buy it from India or was gifted (guessed as you have mentioned that you thought it was cheap). If you bought it yourself can you share the price details. I now start feeling that I might have spent a little more by importing it. Well, having said that, I am perfectly happy with the MJ. It stands for quality! Also, I wanted to add that I am using a gray shade which I opted because all my other shades were variants of brown. I just love this. Unlike the fasttracks I have this one work fine in slightly underexposed (sorry for the photographic term, can't find better english for that) lighting conditions as well. I have no problem wearing it in malls or rooms in days or even while driving in the evenings. I would say as long as there is some daylight it is good. I guess brown would be better for twilight conditions. Never tried a green yet.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:54   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was never a fan of goggles until I purchased my MJ. I used to wear some Fasttracks but no other big brands like Rayban, Oakley or Serengeti. So, I am not definitely someone to compare the quality of all these models. Here's my observations with my MJ.

1. Excellent polarizatio
2. Enriching colors
3. Extremely light
Rajni,

Your observation is on target reg these glasses.
This is a perfect comparison of your MJ's in photo-graphical terms.
Since I too do a bit of photography, there's a lot I need to learn from you someday.

Seriously, that was a huge leap of faith from Fastrack to Maui Jim, and yes why bother going through importing them and all the hassle involved and at the end of the day you realize that you could have saved a lot.
Quote:
Thanks a lot Adil

I shall follow suit basis your endorsement!

I believe I get enhanced visibility with my Serengetis in twilight conditions and slightly greyer days as well as when Im driving on a road which has a green tree canopy/ cover. My Carrera's are too dark in such circumstances.
So far the best I have experienced have been the Serengeti's.
I dont mind trying a pair of Maui's too so that I too, like you, enjoy the best of both worlds!

Shankar,

You are most welcome.

Yes, in twilight conditions and greyer days, Serengeti enhances your visibility and brightens the surrounds.

ST (super thin) glass from Maui Jim, I would rate above their 'Evolution' (polycarbonate, acrylic, engineered) lens.

I always make sure I am paying for and buying 'glass lens' and not polycarbonate, acrylic, engineered lenses.

The best way to order is go on FB and get Benny John, peek into his album or get in touch with him. Best prices, product, delivery.
Regards,
Old 26th April 2012, 10:03   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy it from India or was gifted (guessed as you have mentioned that you thought it was cheap). If you bought it yourself can you share the price details. I now start feeling that I might have spent a little more by importing it.
Costed 730 AED but was a gift. Guess it cheaper here as per my info and Beejay too says so.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th April 2012 at 10:49. Reason: quoted text shortened.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:13   #395
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Thanks. Yes I am in touch with Beejay. Will definitely try MJ.
Am out of town for a bit but once I get back I will test it.
In fact my folks and rest of the family have been customers of Beejay's in the past - though I didnt know him then.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:43   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use the same

You just forget its there parked on your nose. Its look flimsy but kudos to the quality/construction!

I was also told by Sankar ( whos' glass I checked) that it helps a lot if your are during in heavy rain.
The Mauijims are manufactured in Japan and their Titanium frames are even lighter. The nosepads in the Sugar Beach are non slip Rabalon and offer prime comfort. The temple sides of the Sugar beach are nylon and may look cheap, however come with an unlimited breakage warranty depending on the dealer you buy from.

The lenses are coated with a waterproof and oleophobic treatment to repel grease and smudges and makes cleaning them easier.

Quote:
I now start feeling that I might have spent a little more by importing it. I guess brown would be better for twilight conditions. Never tried a green yet.
I think you paid more too. Just forget it, since you now enjoy it. Did you get the outer pack, this pack will have MRP printed and importer details. Even in India many dealers even the big ones like Titan Eye+ do not give the same and mark up the price.

This cover is a wrap box and says Welcome to Color. I can post a picture if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

The best way to order is go on FB and get Benny John, peek into his album or get in touch with him. Best prices, product, delivery.
Regards,
You are one of my best customer, ever. Thank you.

Quote:
Costed 730 AED but was a gift. Guess it cheaper here as per my info and Beejay too says so.
730 AED is expensive too, 6970 is the MRP in India.
You could try some genuine dealers and its cheaper in India, provided you search good.
Quote:
In fact my folks and rest of the family have been customers of Beejay's in the past - though I didnt know him then.
That line meant a lot to me. Have a good trip.
Old 26th April 2012, 20:04   #397
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Beejay old chap yours was the only proper trustworthy optical store in the Nilgiris in the 1980's and 1990's. We used to pop up the hill to get various people's eyes tested at Mrs Samuel's clinic and come straight back down and up again to your place to get those prescriptions filled. Am glad you have now branched out to sunglasses and high fashion-luxe brands. I have never worn glasses per se so far, and hence have not had occasion to buy glasses at your place. With these sunglasses I guess I will now!
Old 27th April 2012, 00:19   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I think you paid more too. Just forget it, since you now enjoy it. Did you get the outer pack, this pack will have MRP printed and importer details. Even in India many dealers even the big ones like Titan Eye+ do not give the same and mark up the price.
Yea, I am trying to forget the price I paid now. Learnt a lesson - don't just trust the internet search blindly. I was searching for the India price of Sugar beach but couldn't find any better deal or shop. By the way, they did send me the outer pack also. However, it just has the sticker of Model number. I feel that they have removed the actual price sticker. Another thing is that the price they had quoted was almost same or less than India price. The shipping expense made it high. Beejay, I will add you to my buddy list for any future help with sunglasses. Thanks for all that info. Appreciate that.
Old 27th April 2012, 00:43   #399
BANNED

Quote:
I was searching for the India price of Sugar beach but couldn't find any better deal or shop.
All model MSRP listed. You can buy direct as well.

Maui Jim Sunglasses - Sugar Beach

Set country to India.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2012, 00:50   #400
BHPian

Best shades I have owned so far, P´8479 Sunglasses - Porsche Design
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-004.jpg  

Old 27th April 2012, 00:56   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
All model MSRP listed. You can buy direct as well.

Maui Jim Sunglasses - Sugar Beach

Set country to India.

Cheers
Thing is, the prices mentioned on this official site are way more than what is offered by beejay. Thats what he was pointing out in his earlier post.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:55   #402
BHPian

Maui Jim Sunglasses - Hanalei

I got the above sunglasses as a gift from my company
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-mj3.jpg  

Old 9th May 2012, 10:58   #403
BHPian

After loosing my Prada sunglass to the dog bite, bought an Oakley sunglass for about 8000 INR and loving it
Old 9th May 2012, 17:00   #404
BHPian

After going thru Mauijim's website, have a feeling that all their lenses are polarized. Is it true?
Old 9th May 2012, 17:07   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
Best shades I have owned so far, P´8479 Sunglasses - Porsche Design
That is a very desirable pair of sun-glasses. How much are they and where could I find them in India?

I wear a pair of UCB Aviators and they're pretty cool. I have a pair of Polaroids that I wear occasionally. I'd like to add a third to my collection, preferably this one.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th May 2012 at 17:08.

Most Viewed