Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 23:14   #511
BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
That's too costly for me. Is it the starting price.
Please visit MauiJim's site and change the location as India, you will be able to see the MRP in INR for all models released in India.

Yes, that is the MRP for Banyans.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:02   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm from Bangalore, and have my eyes set on a pair of Maui Jims (Banyans). But, I don't seem to find any shop in Bangalore where there is any discount on sunglasses! Any recommendations?

Thanks!
I dont think central stocks Mauijim. have a look at the renowned proprietor stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Even I am looking for the same glasses, but at hyderabad. Checked in Central, but couldnt find one. BTW, what would be the starting price for it.

Am also looking for a glass which can be worn in the night. Dust loves my eyes and need to protect them.
Try the HT lenses from Mauijim, it is good for low light conditions and can be used during dawn and dusk too. try on the Mauijim waterways, a new release and in HT green.
Old 9th January 2013, 20:25   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Please visit MauiJim's site and change the location as India, you will be able to see the MRP in INR for all models released in India.
Yes, that is the MRP for Banyans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Try the HT lenses from Mauijim, it is good for low light conditions and can be used during dawn and dusk too. try on the Mauijim waterways, a new release and in HT green.
Will try the website and look. Hope to get them in my budget.
Old 9th January 2013, 21:35   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The starting price depends on the model that you lay your hands on. The newer gradinets are more expensive. If you search hard you might find dealers who are willing to part with the classic RB3025 with the G15 lenses to make way for the gradients.
For your prescription its very easy to have tinted lenses on an aviator shape.

There are many RB dealers in Bangalore who can help you.
Quote:
You will get the same gradient on your prescription lenses.
RB are mainly used, because of their quality of lense, so will it be possible to get RB lenses with prescription power. If not then why to go for RB sunglasses, instead we can go for some other sunglass and get the glass changed according to the prescription .
Please correct me if im wrong .

Cheers
Old 10th January 2013, 12:53   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
RB are mainly used, because of their quality of lense, so will it be possible to get RB lenses with prescription power. If not then why to go for RB sunglasses, instead we can go for some other sunglass and get the glass changed according to the prescription .
Please correct me if im wrong .

Cheers
You can get the RB prescription from Rayban itself. Any authorised optician can help you get it.

Just wish to mention that gone are the days when RB lenses were top notch, it has now evolved into one of the worlds most recalled fashion brand in eye wear, that's all.
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:58   #516
BHPian

Just was going through Snapdeal for the first time and this attracted me. The description says the lenses are polarized, but is it true to believe. Any thoughts how good is this deal.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/just...id_lifestyle_2
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:13   #517
gemi_kk

All, i have a question.

I have been trying to buy a Rayban's Aviator after i saw one of my friends glasses. the glass quality is Damn good. The glass is thick.

I visited couple of RB's showrooms in hyderabad, however i couldnt find such quality aviators in stores, leaving an impression of Fake's in my mind.

My friend got his glasses from Airforce Military canteen.

Would someone please tell me how i could procure the originals.

Old 23rd January 2013, 09:59   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
All, i have a question.

I have been trying to buy a Rayban's Aviator after i saw one of my friends glasses. the glass quality is Damn good. The glass is thick.

I visited couple of RB's showrooms in hyderabad, however i couldnt find such quality aviators in stores, leaving an impression of Fake's in my mind.

My friend got his glasses from Airforce Military canteen.

Would someone please tell me how i could procure the originals.
The G15 glass lenses are thick and I suppose your friend has the same.

As you have rightly said, watch out for the fakes, RB is the most imitated brand.

Get it from an authorized dealer. Just wish to mention that in all brands, glass lenses offer the highest optics and clarity, down side is it will be a bit heavy.

Next would be polycarbonate, almost similar optics to glass, yet highly durable and lightweight.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:33   #519
gemi_kk

Quote:
The G15 glass lenses are thick and I suppose your friend has the same.

As you have rightly said, watch out for the fakes, RB is the most imitated brand.

Next would be polycarbonate, almost similar optics to glass, yet highly durable and lightweight.
Thank you for this Vital information.
Regarding the G15 lenses, would you please provide me additional information.
By any chance, RB has discontinued these lenses in Aviators?

Regarding Pro's and Con's, i am not at all worried of the above mentioned con's as i am a 6 footer and slightly heavy built so the weight of the lenses wont be heavy for me

Old 23rd January 2013, 20:30   #520
BHPian

I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses for use while driving.

I currently own a pair of Arnette (Havoc) sunglasses. I got them on sale in the US. I use them occasionally while driving. Occasionally because I seem to feel some discomfort - somewhat like a headache near the temples.

I had an issue with a pair of RBs I purchased in '99. With those I used to have some discomfort on the bridge of the nose.

I'm trying to get myself a pair of MJs now. I visited a store and tried the Hanalei, Banzai. I'm a bit jittery after my earlier experiences. I don't realize the discomfort in the first few minutes when I try on the glasses. And the MJs are way more expensive compared to the ones I purchased earlier, so I don't want to go wrong this time.

Any suggestions? Would a pair of lightweight sunglasses help?
Old 24th January 2013, 14:55   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Thank you for this Vital information.
Regarding the G15 lenses, would you please provide me additional information.
By any chance, RB has discontinued these lenses in Aviators?

Regarding Pro's and Con's, i am not at all worried of the above mentioned con's as i am a 6 footer and slightly heavy built so the weight of the lenses wont be heavy for me
The G15's are still made, and since its great on the optics, most delaers would stock them.

Else you can try on a similar model and order from the catalouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses for use while driving.

I currently own a pair of Arnette (Havoc) sunglasses. I got them on sale in the US. I use them occasionally while driving. Occasionally because I seem to feel some discomfort - somewhat like a headache near the temples.

I had an issue with a pair of RBs I purchased in '99. With those I used to have some discomfort on the bridge of the nose.

I'm trying to get myself a pair of MJs now. I visited a store and tried the Hanalei, Banzai. I'm a bit jittery after my earlier experiences. I don't realize the discomfort in the first few minutes when I try on the glasses. And the MJs are way more expensive compared to the ones I purchased earlier, so I don't want to go wrong this time.

Any suggestions? Would a pair of lightweight sunglasses help?
If the pain is near the temples, i think the frame is too tight on your face, especially behind your ears. Some people just want their frames so tight on their face and it actually increases the discomfort.

I think Banzai would be lighter than the Haneli's. The Banzai are nylon, hence extremely lightweight and durable. Also look at Sugarbeach, Lighthouse and breakwall.
I dont think you would have a problem with the MJ nosebridge as most of them come with the Rabalon pads, which are real comfy.
Old 25th January 2013, 09:20   #522
BHPian

Quote:
If the pain is near the temples, i think the frame is too tight on your face, especially behind your ears. Some people just want their frames so tight on their face and it actually increases the discomfort.

I think Banzai would be lighter than the Haneli's. The Banzai are nylon, hence extremely lightweight and durable. Also look at Sugarbeach, Lighthouse and breakwall.
I dont think you would have a problem with the MJ nosebridge as most of them come with the Rabalon pads, which are real comfy.
Thanks Beejay. The frames aren't too tight, but yes even the slight press behind the ears seems to matter. I'll go try the Banzai again. I went to GKB - they didn't have the other models you mention (I saw them on the MJ site though). I will try another store.
Old 12th February 2013, 18:20   #523
BHPian

My new sunglasses and question on night driving

I got myself a pair of MJ Breakwall sunglasses. I opted for the HCL Bronze as per Benny's suggestion. The experience has been good so far - use them primarily when I drive. Will update once I've used them for a few weeks.

I'd like to know the experience of folks who've used AR coated lens for night driving. How effective are they in cutting off glare? Do they ensure a relatively comfortable drive? I do not use glasses, but intend to get glasses with AR coating just for night driving. I spend close to 60 minutes in start-stop traffic every evening and have a tough time due to the bright headlights from on-coming traffic. The experience in my Alto is worse because it doesn't have a day/night mirror (MUL charges 4L and skimps on such basic features required for a city drive).
Old 12th February 2013, 19:10   #524
BHPian

Quote:
I second that and thank you for your suggestion. My Maui Jims arrived a week ago. Although on the higher side price-wise, I haven't felt half as good ever.

The prescription glasses with th MJ logo is a treat to someone who does appreciate quality apart from the the RayBans that are just too common these days.

My only fret was I couldn't a get hold of a titanium frame because the model that suited me had stainless steel rims. I ll post a pic soon.

I wish GKB did educate the customer about the various colour options of frames and glasses on each model as the website does.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:43   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

My only fret was I couldn't a get hold of a titanium frame because the model that suited me had stainless steel rims. I ll post a pic soon.

I wish GKB did educate the customer about the various colour options of frames and glasses on each model as the website does.
There are a lot of new releases in titanium. Did you buy prescription or plain?

The sales guys in chain stores just sell what comes their way, another reason to buy from small stores and specially from passionate sellers who back your whole sale, before and after.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks