Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2018, 18:30   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any way to measure the head and then order online? Like the way we do for helmets? Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
There are many websites that have 3D Virtual Tryon with maybe the brand of eye wear that you want to try on, if you are lucky. Or I am sure, you will find a similar size in some other brand. Just try MisterSpex, Grand Optical etc...
The physical product ( eye wear) is converted to a full 3D asset and it is really accurate and a good experience too.

Regarding lens measurements. That is a different ball game altogether. And I wouldn't do it online. Even if it is to determine just the PD ( Pupillary Distance) which is mandatory to fix any eye lens to the desired eye wear. Unfortunately, not many stores do this. Even at the physical location.

Also, if you are making prescription( your eye power) sunglasses on a sun glass frame. It requires other measurements like wrap angle.

To continue the rant-

Adding below the measurements that are required to accurately craft the lenses to the desired eye wear. And trust me, it will be a world of difference if your lenses are fit with these measurements to your chosen eye wear, Else, it will be the standard. Wear it, for a week or some days Sir, you will get used to it.
Seriously, why should you? When the below measurements were obtained and then your lenses fixed in the way it is supposed to be fixed.

1. Pupillary Distance- Far Vision and Near Vision. The distance from the center of both pupils. ( AN ABSOLUTE MUST FOR EVERY LENSES)
2. Fitting Height (Name says it all)
3. Frame Dimensions ( Size of the chosen eye wear)- A, B, DBL ( Distance Between Lenses)
4. Pantoscopic Tilt (The tilt of the eye wear after it rests on your nose)
5. Back Vertex Distance ( Distance from the outer most portion of your eye to the back surface of lenses)
6. Wrap Angle ( The curve of the eye wear) AN ABSOLUTE MUST IF YOU THINK THE EYE WEAR HAS MORE CURVE THAN STANDARD EYE WEAR)

It is a pretty long post. However, hope this will be useful for someone out there.

Last edited by beejay : 15th September 2018 at 18:36. Reason: spell check...
beejay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 15:21   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
True,

Kindly suggest where to buy them
I finally got them from dxb. 950 AED post 50% discount. Brando 8456.
Beautiful glasses.
Guess i paid higher in spite of discounts but then I couldn't source them earlier unlike MJ which I got from my friendly local opticals shop

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 6th February 2019 at 15:23.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:32   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know where in Bangalore I can go to get my Ray Ban Aviators fixed? Its a bit bent and misshapen. Does anyone do this?
Old 22nd February 2020, 21:52   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Does anyone know where in Bangalore I can go to get my Ray Ban Aviators fixed? Its a bit bent and misshapen. Does anyone do this?
Ray Ban authorized service center is on CMH Road, Indiranagar, Paradise Biryani - next building basement, Bangalore 560038

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th February 2024 at 15:02. Reason: Avoid space before comma.
Old 22nd February 2020, 21:58   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Ray Ban authorized service center is on CMH Road, Indiranagar , Paradise Biryani - next building basement , Bangalore 560038

Hope it helps.
That’s close by. Thank you, will go there and see if they will help me with this.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:25   #756
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Does someone wear Oakley sport focused sunglasses?

I am trying to figure if the Oakleys XS(extra small sunglasses) can fit a normal adult. Looking to pick these up for my Mother. Technically, they are supposed to be for the youth but there are multiple reviews stating that they work for smaller sized adults as well, especially women.

I am looking at these options-

https://www.amazon.in/Oakley-Protect...pparel&sr=1-57

https://www.amazon.in/Oakley-unisex-...pparel&sr=1-51

They are the flak 2.0 and the Radar EV.

So even if they fit an adult, are the Oakley XL(extra large) sunglasses, still a better option?

Also, if someone has used them both, which shall be the better option for running?

Last edited by AYP : 11th January 2021 at 11:27.
Old 25th April 2021, 15:43   #757
BHPian

My current collection

I am listing it out as per the order in the picture (L - R)

First row

Carrera 173/S
Carrera 212/S
Porsche Design by Carrera 5648

Second row

Drakkar Noir Guy Laroche 520206
Vogue VO 2446-S
Gucci Oversized aviators (Must be from the mid-80s)

Third row

Gucci 1414/S
Cartier Vendome Santos (Mid 80s)
Sting by DE RIGO SS4697S

In this entire collection, the latest pairs are from 2019. The rest of it is minimum 10 - 15 years old. They have their fair share of battle scars and wear marks for their age but are great and comfortable to wear nonetheless.

Apart from these glasses, few more were part of the collection but not anymore, they either got lost or damaged.

Valentino
Maserati 6119
Giorgio Armani 783/S

I still miss them.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img3875.jpg  

Old 28th January 2022, 16:25   #758
Senior - BHPian

Recently received some samples of the VOAcollective sunglass. It is pure indulgence and a limited run. Produce 100 units per 4 styles. 1200 sunglasses a year.
HandMade in Japan, Titanium et 24K gold plated. Unfortunately, unable to add the image here.
Well, it is not for everybody. But for who it is, it is indeed something.
https://www.voacollective.com/

Last edited by beejay : 28th January 2022 at 16:35.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:12   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Does someone wear Oakley sport focused sunglasses?
Hi!

I've been looking for Oakley stores in India, but am not able to find anything reliable.

I Believe they can add prescription lenses to Oakley frames only at Oakley stores, so I'm looking for one.

If anyone on this thread can help me find a lead it would be really helpful
Old 29th February 2024, 14:51   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents - few questions about Sunglasses though I do have 3-4 budget ones (Fasttrack, IDEE etc).

I just did an eye test and found out I have both short and long vision issues. I also got a progressive lens for indoor use and looking to get a Sunglass for driving / outdoor use.

1. I decided that I don't want a progressive lens for the sunglass.

2. I think it's good to have a powered sunglass for long vision

3. Asked a few stores about doing this - a reputed shop mentioned that the polarized option costs about 14K for lens along (with the power)

4. The mirror coating is about 3K or so (it can't done on powered polarized sunglass it seems)

It makes me wonder how do other brands sell polarized sunglass at budget rates (3-4K) ?

I also read that UV reflection is what is more important than just polarized lens, which helps to cut off harmful rays.

Specsmakers showed an option of clip on lens (4 colors) and claimed it is polarized (I could see a hidden dolphin on their test picture which cant be seen with naked eyes or normal lenses) and it's sold at 500/- a set of 4 clip on lenses. Are these legitimate, if other reputed stores mention above 10K rates for polarized lenses
Old 29th February 2024, 18:58   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Specsmakers showed an option of clip on lens (4 colors) and claimed it is polarized (I could see a hidden dolphin on their test picture which cant be seen with naked eyes or normal lenses) and it's sold at 500/- a set of 4 clip on lenses. Are these legitimate, if other reputed stores mention above 10K rates for polarized lenses
The ones on the Specmaker/lenskart Clipons are not ophthalmic grade lenses, but polarised sheet. Press them at the center and see them flex. CR39, polycarbonate, trivex are all ophthalmic grade and are recommended.

Carl Zeiss has drivewear and so does an India brand called Nova. Nova polarised will be a lot cheaper.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 19:59   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

I just did an eye test and found out I have both short and long vision issues. I also got a progressive lens for indoor use and looking to get a Sunglass for driving / outdoor use.
In the same boat with my son (12 YO) who has vision. While he has a non powered sunglass, he can barely use it as its not powered. Considering his power will change frequently for sometime, not looking at investing a huge sum of money for his sunglass. I had casually checked in a TitanEye shop and the sales person mentioned about 2k for a powered sun glass. Don't think they are polarized.

If you find anything which is economical, do keep this thread updated. TIA.

Last edited by dass : 29th February 2024 at 20:25. Reason: .
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 20:00   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Carl Zeiss has drivewear and so does an India brand called Nova. Nova polarised will be a lot cheaper.
Thank You . Does these also have a massive difference in the vision quality / UV cut off based on the price ?
Old 29th February 2024, 20:01   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=dass;5728666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...Considering his power will change frequently for sometime, not looking at investing a huge sum of money for his sunglass...
A test is advised every 2 years to check / re-check the power. Confirmed by most / all shops I visited.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks