Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 00:51   #376
BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Got a Ray Ban Aviator RB 3025 004/58 Gunmetal frame / Green Polarized lenses. The old Ray Ban Aviator that I got last year is taken over by Wifey as the old one has a pinkish glasses and suits her very well. I'm very much pleased with the new one and it is very much comfortable.
Old 19th April 2012, 00:18   #377
BHPian

My first proper sunglasses were a Oakley Hijinx I bought 3 years back and in hindsight, always felt I could have bought better.
So finally last month I got myself my first Ray Ban Aviators. Bought RB 3460 002/71. These are the flip-out style where I got 3 easily interchangeable lenses. The frame itself is incredibly light(they call it Lightray tech) to a point where I'm afraid I'll break them if I'm not careful! This time I feel it was a wise buy.
Old 19th April 2012, 20:33   #378
Senior - BHPian

two Ray Ban Predators and couple of Fastracks. currently using a brand called Velvettle (V-4442); poloroid glasses.

i'm expecting a Ray Ban (any of the below; not made up my mind) as a wedding anniversary gift
- RB2027 - 601/82 | PREDATOR 2
- RB3029 - L2114 | OUTDOORSMAN II
- RB4089 - 601 | BALORAMA
- RB8307 - 002 | AVIATOR CARBON FIBRE

Old 21st April 2012, 23:30   #379
BHPian

I just got my order at Amazon delivered at my doorstep today. It's MJ - Maui Jim Sugar Beach Sunglass, Polarized - 421-02 - product link follows.

Amazon.com: Maui Jim Sugar Beach Sunglasses - Polarized: Clothing

I couldn't wait until someone traveling from US to India to carry it for me. So, ordered it with my actual address and ended up paying a fairly good amount for shipping. I hope it is still a good price at India, but it could be much much better without the shipping cost. This is the "most" lightest goggles I have ever touched! I just had only one day experience wearing it and so far the result is awesome. The polarization works very well and it works toning up colors and without affecting the actual color (neutral density-ND in photographic terminology, no idea what they call it in sunglass industry). Another thing is that I was able to wear even till late evening without any difficulty. I went for the Gloss Black Frame and Neutral Grey Polarized Lens.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:32   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I just got my order at Amazon delivered at my doorstep today. It's MJ - Maui Jim Sugar Beach Sunglass, Polarized - 421-02 - product link follows.
Isnt it available for cheaper in India. How much did you pay?
Old 24th April 2012, 23:41   #381
BHPian

I don't think so. Ebay, India shows 10K+ for it - New In Box Maui Jim 421-02 Sugar Beach Sport Sunglasses (Rs. 10025). I got it for $125 and inclusive of shipping it was $157, less than 8K based on the exchange rate at the time of order.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:27   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I don't think so. Ebay, India shows 10K+ for it - New In Box Maui Jim 421-02 Sugar Beach Sport Sunglasses (Rs. 10025). I got it for $125 and inclusive of shipping it was $157, less than 8K based on the exchange rate at the time of order.
MRP for the same in India as printed on the box is 6790.

Last edited by beejay : 25th April 2012 at 18:57.
Old 25th April 2012, 19:25   #383
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

So do you rate the Maui's as better than the Serengeti's?

[quote=fazalaliadil;2736016]Dear all,

Just picked up a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses.

Love the feel, comfort and the lens quality is second to none, though I have been wearing Serengeti's for 16 straight years.

The ST (super thin) glass lens are unbelievably light and the vision is something to be experienced, Maui Jim's are known as the RR of sunglasses for their craftsmanship and lens quality.
Regards,
Old 25th April 2012, 19:31   #384
Senior - BHPian

[quote=shankar.balan;2757910]So do you rate the Maui's as better than the Serengeti's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear all,

Just picked up a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses.

Love the feel, comfort and the lens quality is second to none, though I have been wearing Serengeti's for 16 straight years.

The ST (super thin) glass lens are unbelievably light and the vision is something to be experienced, Maui Jim's are known as the RR of sunglasses for their craftsmanship and lens quality.
Regards,
The ST glass lenses are actually something. Especially for the greens, I am sure you would agree.
Old 25th April 2012, 19:34   #385
BANNED

Benny - can you ring me?
Cheers!

[quote=beejay;2757916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The ST glass lenses are actually something. Especially for the greens, I am sure you would agree.
Old 25th April 2012, 19:46   #386
BHPian

Rayban Wayfarer's- RB 4105
Rayban Aviators- RB 3025- All time fav!
Oakley Probation.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:15   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Dear Shankar and Benny,

Serengeti is just awesome but my pair of Maui Jim has surpassed it in terms of glare and haze reduction, especially the dash reflection on the windshield from within and the color richness.

Driving with Serengeti Drivers Gradient and Mau Jim 'Mahina' are two different experiences, in the bright sunny summer the later is superior and during evening or less harsher sunlight Serengeti gives me the clarity advantage.

It was not easy for me to switch to a new brand, as I am too brand loyal.
Definitely, I rate the Maui Jim as "Overall better lens quality".

Thanks, Benny.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 25th April 2012 at 22:18.
Old 26th April 2012, 00:37   #388
BHPian

I have a couple of Fastracks. One is from Hip Hop collection and the other from the Bikers collection.
I am saving up for a Ray Ban since the past 1 year. Everytime i manage to save 3-4 grands I end up spending it on my car.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:20   #389
BHPian

I was never a fan of goggles until I purchased my MJ. I used to wear some Fasttracks but no other big brands like Rayban, Oakley or Serengeti. So, I am not definitely someone to compare the quality of all these models. Here's my observations with my MJ.

1. Excellent polarization - I have used polarizers for photographing difficult lighting situations like for cutting off glare from water etc and I have an idea how do they work. MJ cuts off the glare from the surrounding in a sunny day without any error. The reflection on the windscreen from dashboard vanishes like a magic when you wear it.

2. Enriching colors -You really have to wear and see what I mean. It is like, you load a slightly overexposed and soft picture in Photoshop or Gimp and adjust the levels and curves to correct the exposure and enhance the tone. It worked very well when I wore it while driving through a dusty area in late afternoon. Visibility was also enhanced due to #1.

3. Extremely light - I often forget that I am wearing it. Its legs are so flexible and just wraps around my head without giving any pressure on the ears. I am worried that someone would handle it carelessly thinking it is a cheap model. I have seen many people who think heavy goggles with some metal on it are expensive. This may be a con also.
Old 26th April 2012, 07:10   #390
BANNED

Thanks a lot Adil

I shall follow suit basis your endorsement!

I believe I get enhanced visibility with my Serengetis in twilight conditions and slightly greyer days as well as when Im driving on a road which has a green tree canopy/ cover. My Carrera's are too dark in such circumstances.
So far the best I have experienced have been the Serengeti's.
I dont mind trying a pair of Maui's too so that I too, like you, enjoy the best of both worlds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Shankar and Benny,

Serengeti is just awesome but my pair of Maui Jim has surpassed it in terms of glare and haze reduction, especially the dash reflection on the windshield from within and the color richness.

Driving with Serengeti Drivers Gradient and Mau Jim 'Mahina' are two different experiences, in the bright sunny summer the later is superior and during evening or less harsher sunlight Serengeti gives me the clarity advantage.

It was not easy for me to switch to a new brand, as I am too brand loyal.
Definitely, I rate the Maui Jim as "Overall better lens quality".

Thanks, Benny.

Regards,

Most Viewed