Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2005, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Need advice for Singapore trip

Mods & other guys, please do not criticise me for this.
I needed this advice and did not know where to post.

Ok here goes.
I'm going to Singapore for the first time for a short vacation on 7th May.
Not going to Malaysia, Thailand or any other country.
I'd like to ask members who've been there for some advice like.

What to buy ? (that would be much cheaper there than in Mumbai)
laptop / mobile phone / anything else ?
Custom duties for the above mentioned & other articles (what all is allowed)
From where to buy ?
Good places to see (other than sentosa, jurong & night safari)
Places to avoid.
Places to get bargain deals on ethnic / antique stuff (like road side shops)
Shops to get bike parts / jackets.
Do's & don'ts
Any good beach close by.
Any other advice.

Thanks
Old 4th May 2005, 17:26   #2
dev
BHPian

I have been in Singapore for 3yrs.
All Indians will visit Mustafa in Little India for any purchase. U can get A to Z.
get some Gold which is of very good quality. Every Indian purchases here, sicne the Gold here doesn't have copper. they add Silver.
Go for Mobile phone, Laptops. As for car accessories, u can purchase anything.
Don't purchase anything in Orchard road. All the posh shopping malls will be here. Check if u have any deals going on. U can purchase corals, etc, here if u want.
If you are purchasing in Orchard anything, please bargain a lot. For cash some other price will be there.
U can visit any place in Singapore as it is very secure. Don't lit ciggaretes. Avoid as much as u can. Ciggaretes are very expensive. So avoid buying.
Have a visit to Raffles and City. And also visit Suntec City for Fountain. Visit in night after 7PM. Any electonic item is cheap in S'pore as it is Free for Excise duty. After purchasing is over, take all the receipts and claim it in Airport. Arrive at airport before and stand in a "Q" to claim. they will take 10dollars and after one moth u will get the tax u paid on your shopping. Try to purchase in Duty Free Shopping.
get some liquor items in Airport while coming back to India, as its very cheap and its Duty free.
Old 4th May 2005, 17:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was there in Singapore for only two days, that too for a conference. I couldn't really explore it much. But wherever you go within Singapore, make sure you use the public transport. I liked it. I'm sure you will enjoy it too. If using public transport, make sure you buy the EZlink card (a kind of smartcard which you can use in trains, buses and a few McDonald restaurants. The card can be recharged when it is about to expire).

You can get some good bargains on stuffz like spices, etc at Mustafa Mall in Little India.

For electronic items, I have heard that the Orchard street has many malls. But all in all, I have heard from people at Singapore that Mustafa gives better deal on anything and everything. But again, this is from my experience of two days' stay at Singapore.
Old 4th May 2005, 17:45   #4
dev
BHPian

And in Jurong, there is IMM shopping mall. That is also a good sopping mall. have a visit there if possible. In Safe superstores, u may get some good deals.
Try purchaing digital Vedio cameras. It will be very cheap.
And as of Custom duty, bribe him. Give him Rs. 2000-3000 max.,.tell him, u don't know all these custom duty things and u have been mis guided by some travel agents. And don't keep much amount in your pockets. Tell them u have taken this camera before leaving India and has not been given details to Customs as you are not aware.
hey, if u have space, get a good Home theatre system. It is 50% cheaper than Indian price. or purchase a good Sony wega TV.
Man, if u have money, u can purchase a lot of things.
Thanks for recollecting my memories in Singapore with your post.
Those are Golden days in my life.

Further details:
Sentosa: Must see Musical Fountain. Have your ViewCam ready for a very good shots. Be there by 6:30-7PM
Under water world. A Must to watch. have your camera On with couple of spare reels
Volcanic centre: Avoid completly
Cinemania: if u have time and money, have a visit
Merlion:For 3 dollars, u can go in. have a look from top of it.
Cable car: go in this to Sentosa for 18 dollars or so. U can reach Sentosa by cable.
Ferry: If the above is not possible, u can go in a Ship.
Bus: For 3 dollars, u can enter Sentosa

U may spend complete day in Sentosa. Try reaching in morning and enjoy til evening. have your own food. As u won't like in side food.
Then visit jurong bird park. take your own food.
night safari: Visit early by 6PM and slowly have a walk. Will take lot of time. Need patience to walk and visit. have some eatables like fruits, biscuits, etc.,
Don't throw the wastage like in Inidia. There will be baskets for garbage. Use it. Or else get punished.
Visit Raffles place and City in Afternooon (for the busy streets) and Night times for pleasant seeing.
Anyway, how amny days, you are going to stay in Singapore?
Old 4th May 2005, 17:49   #5
dev
BHPian

yeah, Deepak is correct. U can have Public transport. Avoid cabs, as its very expensive.
To any corner, u have buses. Take that Ezlink card and enjoy. Top up to the max for 100 dollars or so, and if it is not used, u can get the money back by submitting your Ezlink card at any Train (MRT) station.

Hope the info given was helpful.
Old 4th May 2005, 17:52   #6
dev
BHPian

I told about customs duty in India. In Singapore, no body will catch u. Don't try to bribe anyone in Singapore. And ask anyone for help. And speak slowly with a chinese person as they can't understand our fast English. And u can find Indians every where. So, no need to worry.
U can get good Indian Hotels/Restaurants in Little India. As per beaches, they are not much good. Try to avoid and save time.
Old 5th May 2005, 00:08   #7
BHPian

Hey dev, thanks for your elaborate replies. I've noted them down and will keep in mind.
Am going to be there for about 5 days.
I believe that one laptop and one mobile phone r duty free ? Is it true ?
Actually I'm going via Chennai, so I'll have to face the customs there. Chennai - Mumbai is a local flight.
Thnx for the tip on cigarettes, I'll take my stock from here itself

Not sure if I understood the excise part in your first post correctly. Giving an example, correct me if I'm wrong.

Suppose I buy a laptop for 1000 s'pore $ and take the receipt.
Then I go to the airport and stand in the queue and pay 10$.
Then a month later they send me the refund . . . .

Questions :
1. Is it applicable for all electronic & computer items ? Or some other items too ?
2. Do I have to go to the airport only when I'm returning back to India or can I go earlier ?
3. Where do I have to stand in the Q ? Is there a specific counter / dept for this ?
4. The 10$ is to process my application for the refund ?
5. Do they send the refund to my home address in India ?
6. In the example that I quoted above, how much refund do u think I'd get (approx) ?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks once again
Old 5th May 2005, 01:10   #8
BHPian

All items within Singapore are charged a GST. That amount is refunded to you if the product is being taken out of Singapore. I think you have to give your passport number and name at the time of billing and the amount is refunded at the airport.
Old 5th May 2005, 02:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey bikefreak,
Since,all you querries have been attended to by Dev and Deepakhon,i shall just answer the questions you've just posted and clear you GST doubt.

Quote:
1. Is it applicable for all electronic & computer items ? Or some other items too ?
It is applicable to all the items,including clothes.

Quote:
2. Do I have to go to the airport only when I'm returning back to India or can I go earlier ?
Nopes.The day you are departing,go a little earlier and get a refund.

Quote:
3. Where do I have to stand in the Q ? Is there a specific counter / dept for this ?
Once you enter the departure arena,its towards your right.You'll see a huge "G.S.T refund" board.

Quote:
4. The 10$ is to process my application for the refund ?
Yes.

Quote:
5. Do they send the refund to my home address in India ?
No,they dont.You can collect it at that counter itself.

Quote:
6. In the example that I quoted above, how much refund do u think I'd get (approx) ?
This link should pretty much clear all your doubts.

I hope that clears it all.In addition,dont forget to visit Boat Quay and Clarke Quay.One of the most happening places for Pubs,Clubs,Restaurants etc.
Enjoy your trip.

X
Old 5th May 2005, 04:38   #10
BHPian

@ x-machine
Thanks a lot for the clarifications & the link
Old 5th May 2005, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Bikefreak

I guess most of the spots have been put down by the rest of the guys but here are just my two cents.

In Jurong visit the Zoo and be sure to have breakfast with the Orangutang , the bird park and while youre at it you can visit the crocodile paradise as well.

Take a trip to tiger balm gardens they are worth a visit.

SOGO shopping centre is a cool place to visit. Last I heard when I had been there was that you could have coffee in a mug shaped like the SOGO building for 100 odd dollars.

If you wanna feel desi, you can head to Little India where they even have Udipi restaurants.

Dippy
Old 5th May 2005, 16:05   #12
BHPian

Bikefreak,

As I set out, I would carry forex in larger currency notes (better exchange rates). Also carry US $ 50 in small change...can change US $ 20 in the airport.

On landing I would need to exchange my money. Airport is the worst rates. I would change a small amount there.

I would do things two things first ...get a phone card and get a EZlink card. Before leaving would collect refund.

I would also try to go on an evening cruise..

I found Chinatown to be the best buys and also foreign exchange rates are better.

Food courts are an inexpensive way to eat out.

Customs at Chennai is not as easy as in Mumbai. I would recommend only bringing in small stuff. Large things attract attention. Digital handycams, iPods, highend mobile phones, laptops are good buys. Laptops do not have customs duty in India, hence safe to bring.

Fly safe and have a good trip.
Old 5th May 2005, 16:55   #13
dev
BHPian

And also don't forget to take Singapore map, and Site seeing details from Airport in S'pore, which are FREE.
Take loads of brochers from there and prioritise them.
Going so far and not visting Malaysia is sad.
have a nice trip.
Old 5th May 2005, 19:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Bikefreak

Take a trip to tiger balm gardens they are worth a visit.

Dippy
It is pretty run down now - avoid
Old 5th August 2007, 14:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hotels in KL and Singapore

I am visiting Singapore-Malaysia in September through a tour package. The hotels given by the operators seems to crappy although they are 3 star category. They are Quality Inn or Grand seasons in KL and Hotel Fortuna or Golden Landmark in singapore

Please suggest alternatives in both places. Please let me know if anyone is visited these places recently. Would like to get a few details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks