Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 15:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic. Thats the best way to teach these @#$@Q# a lesson. I wish more and more courts start doing this.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:09   #32
BANNED

I think Dinesh Kumar should thank his stars for being let off with such a mild punishment.

Pulling duppattas of girls on public roads should amount to attempt to rape. Or something that would lock this guy up for atleast a year.

Hope Dell has kicked him out and no other company ever gets him on their rolls again.
Old 8th May 2009, 18:01   #33
BHPian

Hate to be the pessimist in the thread.
In my experience Chennai cops are no angels.

Had a couple of "nasty" encounters with cops here once with my fiance and one when my sister was with me.

First instance it was a "normal traffic stop" the cops started asking all sort of questions to my fiance and then I noticed the smell of booze (yes the cop was drunk), I stepped in and told the cop, If you want to ask anything ask me. Good that he got the message and the cop politely told my fiance to go and sit in the car. Please note this happened only when I "told" the cop in a rather rude way.

Second time, cops were having "innocent" discussion about whom we could be.All the time not realizing the fact that I do understand tamil. Luckily my sister did't hear it and then a comparatively good cop among them saw my lil nephew in the car and told the other cop, they look like "family" people.

Anyway in both occations I was asked to give around 1500 as fine, funny because all my papers were in order. I just needed to get the hell out so I bribed them and got on my way.

In the first instance the cop took my purse and took all the "big" notes.
Since I knew this kind of thing will happen 2nd time, I did't have any.

Usually I don't keep much cash so in each case I lost around 250.

I'm not saying all cops are bad, this is from my experiance.
Except in chennai I've never seen cops behaving this badly.

Before anyone asks, yes I did file a complaint with the name of the cop involved. Nothing happened.

Just keep this in mind.
Old 8th May 2009, 20:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

One month sweeping just for pulling a dupatta!? Gosh... talk about getting carried away... give the kid a break!!
Old 8th May 2009, 20:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
In the first instance the cop took my purse and took all the "big" notes.
Since I knew this kind of thing will happen 2nd time, I did't have any.

Usually I don't keep much cash so in each case I lost around 250.
The cop's got no right to take your wallet away,unless he suspects that you are concealing something.And to remove money from it just shows what a useless person he is.

On a light note, I'm glad that the techie got such a punishment. Its the best way to make a person realize his mistake, but serving the public in what ever way possible.
Old 8th May 2009, 20:53   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Guys I have stayed 6 years in Chennai and somehow I have felt that there can be no other safer place for ladies anywhere.
That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost's quoted article
Asking the accused to surrender before the police, the judge told him to sweep the premises of Gandhi Hospital for one hour daily. He is allowed to choose the hour according to his convenience.
Indian version of community service.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:04   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
One month sweeping just for pulling a dupatta!? Gosh... talk about getting carried away... give the kid a break!!

If he rapes a girl, fine. Get them married.
If a girl spurns him, throw acid on the girl.

Racoon, I don't generally say this, but your statement is disgusting.

No one has any right to even look at a woman with the intention of outraging her modesty.
Let alone touch her or intrude into her space.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you serious? If he can dare to pull a Duppatta in broad a daylight imagine what he can do if he isnt reprimanded. Infact I feel he got off lightly the punishment should have been more severe

Quote:

No one has any right to even look at a woman with the intention of outraging her modesty.
Totally agree with bblost
Old 8th May 2009, 21:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I missed your post, for some reason.
Would you say the same thing if it was your sister/mother or significant other who was harrassed? Would you give the 'kid' a break ?
Old 8th May 2009, 22:55   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Qiute obvious that none immediately related to you has had any bad experiences thanks to eve teasing. Had they told you about it, you'd think what a light punishment this moron escaped with.
Old 9th May 2009, 15:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If he rapes a girl, fine. Get them married.
If a girl spurns him, throw acid on the girl.

Well I can say that yours is disgusting... but thats not gonna achieve anything.

I find these kind of threads intriguing... with lots of people baying for blood. But fact is that most who bay for blood like this themselves harbour similar, subconcious tendencies to commit a similar act. But since it is frustrated, it expresses itself thus...

I'm just so glad that laws are not yet made by people like you, else we would seen have a plethora of laws dealing with how one can and cannot look at each other. Sigh...

Anyway, this argument is not productive. Neither is the guy's punishment going to be made less severe because I say so nor is it going to be made more severe because you say so. So count me out of this thread...
Old 9th May 2009, 17:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I thought I was the only one who was shocked with this comment of yours, but am not! Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
...Would you say the same thing if it was your sister/mother or significant other who was harrassed? Would you give the 'kid' a break ?
+1 to that!

Quote:
Well I can say that yours is disgusting... but thats not gonna achieve anything.

I find these kind of threads intriguing... with lots of people baying for blood. But fact is that most who bay for blood like this themselves harbour similar, subconcious tendencies to commit a similar act. But since it is frustrated, it expresses itself thus...

I'm just so glad that laws are not yet made by people like you, else we would seen have a plethora of laws dealing with how one can and cannot look at each other. Sigh...
I think it is the other way around. People who feel that this crime is not a serious one, means that that person is looking at is as something that he might do!!!

And your arrogance in coming back and defending your comment is even worse!!!
Old 9th May 2009, 18:06   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

or maybe such a person was a first hand witness to what a girl goes thru when something like this happens.

Quote:
Anyway, this argument is not productive. Neither is the guy's punishment going to be made less severe because I say so nor is it going to be made more severe because you say so. So count me out of this thread...
Grow up and understand the basic point about freedom.
Its for everyone.
And that includes the freedom for a girl to wear what she wants, when she wants and however she wants. Without being worried about molestation from anyone. You and ME included.

You are worried about this person's freedom and punishment.
Pray what do you have as words of consolation for the victim.
The girl who had to face this rascals attempt to remove her clothing.
For you it may be a long piece of cloth.
But you cannot decide what it means to her.
Old 10th May 2009, 01:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Loved the High Court for this

I saw the news item in the paper this morning and found a new respect for the High Court. It is a mild punishment but good for society. It does not burden our crowded jails, gives a fillip to the short staffed government hospitals and makes an example out of the offender.

I do think that he got off lightly, one hour everyday for a month is not much, particularly as his crime, yes it is a crime, is rather a disgusting one.

To anyone who has sympathy for the eve-teaser I have the following question - Imagine a gang of hijdas = chakkas or ombodhus attacked you and tore your shirt off - would you have any sympathy for the people who attacked you?
Old 10th May 2009, 02:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I agree with others, i kinda understand where you are coming from. You may be surprised to know that more than 99% of Indian society is far from one where you can flirt healthily with girls and laugh it out. A physical act like this puts a lifelong scar on Indian girls, who have not been raised like a teenager in a western country where running off with one's bikini top on a beach may just be another prank in a day.

obviously you have a totally different view and you have full rights to do so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks