Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 12:05   #1
BHPian

SMS disappear from Inbox

HI Guys

I have been receving personal SMS in a kinda of different format not from my service provider. I am only able to read those sms ones and they automatically disappear from my inbox. By all means i am not able to save these sms's.

I'll appreciate if somebody could put light on this matter.

Thanks

Amit
Old 28th February 2009, 12:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Amit,

There is a way to do this. For various reasons I cannot disclose, I am aware that there are ways to send an sms to your inbox and once you read it, it deletes itself.

Apart from this there is also a way to make a message appear on your home screen (without you having to go to your inbox).
If you are receiving this, it is likely that you are either at the end of a prank or that someone is sending you certain messages and chooses to leave no evidence.

Whatver your reason, I know for a fact that this kind of messaging is possible and that there are private agencies who can do it for you (for a fee, of course)
Old 28th February 2009, 12:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Dear Amit,

There is a way to do this. For various reasons I cannot disclose, I am aware that there are ways to send an sms to your inbox and once you read it, it deletes itself.

Apart from this there is also a way to make a message appear on your home screen (without you having to go to your inbox).
If you are receiving this, it is likely that you are either at the end of a prank or that someone is sending you certain messages and chooses to leave no evidence.

Whatver your reason, I know for a fact that this kind of messaging is possible and that there are private agencies who can do it for you (for a fee, of course)

Hi Sam

Thanks for replying, i would really obliged if you could PM or mail me (amitcov@gmail.com) some knowledge about it. I have been receiving those disappearing sms's and its really getting on my nerves

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 28th February 2009 at 12:33.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

These type of messages are called broadcast messages. They are used all the time by our cell phone operators on the pre-paid network to inform the user of his/her balances. The same broadcasting is used by the cell phone tower to show your location on your phone.

Why are you so worried about the messages that you are getting? Are they advertisements of something more personal?
Old 28th February 2009, 12:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Amit,

These type of messages are called broadcast messages. They are used all the time by our cell phone operators on the pre-paid network to inform the user of his/her balances. The same broadcasting is used by the cell phone tower to show your location on your phone.

Why are you so worried about the messages that you are getting? Are they advertisements of something more personal?
Hi Buddy

The sms's which i am getting are not by the service provider, but personal message's
Old 28th February 2009, 12:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Then just lodge a complaint with your service provider. I am sure they have a way of figuring out who sent you those mesages.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

As said earlier they are cell broadcasts not SMS. Lodge a complaint. The cell phone company would have enabled this anyway for someone and surely would turn it off.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are these the same as push messages?
Most phones have the option of "allowing push messages: always, ask, never"
Its usually in the message settings.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:10   #9
BHPian

Hi

Firstly thanks people for showing interest and replying for my queries. My question, how is possible for an individual to send these kind of sms's???
I will speak to my service provider about this.

Thanks

Amit
Old 28th February 2009, 13:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

Depending on the phone you have, there should be a way to disable this. It could be called Info Services or cell Broadcasts. check you phone.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are service providers who provide this service like Sam has already mentioned earlier. A link to one of them is given below

Staellium | Global Mobile Intelligent Solutions

Also another thing. Are you using a Blackberry device by any chance? If you are using a Blackberry device then this is supposedly a known problem.

READ ME ! ! if you phone is self deleting SMS/EMail/Call Logs. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

There is also a software available which you can install on your phone and when you send an SMS to somebody you can configure it to self delete after 'x' seconds.

JGUI: A.SMS Advanced SMS (Black Edition)

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th February 2009 at 13:25.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:44   #12
BHPian

If any of your known contacts are sending this message, it may be a Flash Message as well.

Many of the new S40 based Nokia phones have this feature of sending flash messages.

Also, if you have a Sony Ericsson phone, you can send Flash messages using My Phone Explorer software by connecting your phone to PC...

Last edited by five46 : 28th February 2009 at 14:52.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
If any of your known contacts are sending this message, it may be a Flash Message as well.

May of the new S40 based Nokia phones have this feature of sending flash messages.

Also, if you have a Sony Ericsson phone, you can send Flash messages using My Phone Explorer software by connecting your phone to PC...
Yes, i am currently using P910, will surely try this.

Thanks for the advise

amit
Old 28th February 2009, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Hmmm... But, I doubt My Phone Explorer supports Smartphone SEs.

Edit: It won't support P910i...

Quote:
MyPhoneExplorer is basicly compatible with all Phones from SonyEricsson except P800i, P900i and P910i.
From Here

Last edited by five46 : 28th February 2009 at 15:16.
Old 28th February 2009, 18:19   #15
BHPian

take an alternate phone which is normal.send an sms to your number.if the sms deletes on its own after reading you will probably have to put your sim in a different phone & recheck.if the problem still arrives contact your service provider.as simple as that

Note from Mods : Please try and use punctuation properly! Take a look at rul #3 in this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2009 at 21:34. Reason: Please see note in post.

Most Viewed