Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2005, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one more thing i have observed is that your car kind off drifts ... to any side of the road... dont know why that happens it suddelnly drifts a little to the left or right ... on perfectly flat straight.. nothing related to banking here... and very often happens when you cross under some bridge ..couldnt find an exact reason fer this... any one with similar experiences
Cross winds. Not just the expressway, it happens on any open road which is not surrounded by trees and buildings.

It can also happen if you pass a big truck at high speeds. Once i was sitting on a bus which was stopped by the road side. When i saw an Indica (doin around 100-120) pass very close to the bus and you wont believe it, i could feel the gust of wind hit the bus and shake it a bit!!!

Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2005, 12:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
one more thing i have observed is that your car kind off drifts ... to any side of the road... dont know why that happens it suddelnly drifts a little to the left or right ... on perfectly flat straight.. nothing related to banking here... and very often happens when you cross under some bridge ..couldnt find an exact reason fer this..
This is because of the cross winds affecting the car. Especially near overpasses and tunnels, and the long straight stretches after Lonavla. Sudden gusts of wind can blow a car clear into the next lane if you're not alert!
Old 7th May 2005, 13:28   #18
BHPian

hmmm .... intresting... i observed that while overtaking but expressway was funny.. i wondered why they would bank the roads such a way that you are simply swept into the next lane
Old 7th May 2005, 13:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

A car may wander left or right...due to wind...uneven road surface, and uneven tyre pressure and improper alignment. Thats all i could think of.

[EDIT]
I didnt see there was a page 2 to this thread and the question regarding drift was already answered.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 7th May 2005 at 13:49.
Old 7th May 2005, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
.. i wondered why they would bank the roads such a way that you are simply swept into the next lane

if the road with turns is not banked then there are chances of the vehicle toppling over or going off the curve.
if the surface is flat,then the weight of the car along with the speed(i.e momentum=mass x velocity) can cause the car to fly off the road

Banking the turns lowers the friction force required to maintain the turn .

Old 7th May 2005, 16:31   #21
BHPian

hey speedy i know about that i guess you dint get what i meant

well actually the roads are banked so that you can increase the safe speed ... the force acting is resolved into two compnents that is Nsin@ and Ncos@ where @ is the angle of banking
futher
Ncos@ balances the weight of the car i.e mg
while
Nsin@ gives the necessary centripital force to take the turn
i.e is MV2/r (2 is square)

well you can find the angle of banking and safe speed
i.e V2=rgtan@
ya speedy frictional force is a unreliable force since it varies so we donot consider it while banking roads...

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 7th May 2005 at 16:34.
Old 9th May 2005, 12:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions! I wasted this weekend and didnt get the wheel alignment checked, but I'll do that in this week and update this thread.
Old 9th May 2005, 13:46   #23
BHPian

Hey, i have had very similar problems 2 weeks agoi on the express way
This was on the Mumbai to Lonavla stretch shortly after gettin on.
The car kept drifting to the right slightly, and there was very strange feel from the road.
Very confidence lowering- so i backed off the gas, Then left the wheel and found the car dragging to the left.
I was like What the F....
Coz the car is brand new, wheels ar balanced and the alignment wa sok just a few days prior.
Then i found that further up the road all these problems disappeared, and the stange feel left .Car stopped dragging.
ALong with the possibility of crosswinds, the road surface on parts of the expressway is very poor and odd handling even if the expressway looks ok visually.
At any time if you feel the handling has changed and feel strange, you should back off the gas. That road is not particularly good

On the way from pune though, i did not have any problems and could stretch the car
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

RX, you seem to have missed a relevant thread, may want to have a look:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...for+vibrations
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
RX, you seem to have missed a relevant thread, may want to have a look:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...for+vibrations
I am sure he would have found a solution in the last one year! The post abov yours is more than a year old...
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

I just noticed 9th may, thinking its less than a month old

Old 23rd May 2006, 16:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yes. In my case, it was wheel balancing, which was required. I changed to OEM Alloys from stock rims at the time of delivery.

No issues thereafter.
Old 24th May 2006, 00:02   #28
BHPian

Hi,
I too get the same problems with my cars which have low profile tires.. Tho the balancing and alignment is perfect i get these vibrations in my car.. Which r sheerly due to bad concrete road conditions..
Cheers
Old 24th May 2006, 17:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

EVO6, if you are talking about expressway, I totally agree with you. The road quality sucks at times. Agreed that there are no potholes and is even mostly, but the surface is very rough at times. Road noise creeping in cabin kind of irritates many times. I feel NH4 has better surface quality than expressway.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Its probably the wheel balancing....even check your front rims...they may be bent out of shape...my car's steering would vibrate above 110...it was traced to bent front wheels. And yeah agreed the expressway is not like what it used to be.

Drifter
My car's steering vibrates between 110-115kmph then goes away and stays smooth all the way till 155kmph Wat must this be due to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks