Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SEAT BELTS
Not very specific about wearing seat belts (including me) 7 4.58%
I definitely wear it. But will not insists others 24 15.69%
Will make sure both driver and passenger in front have to buckle. Will not insist on rear passenger 94 61.44%
I will make sure all the passengers have belted up 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 19:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

I started using the belts religiously only after the TN Govt made it compulsory some years ago. But over the years got so used to it that I find it odd to drive without wearing them. My wife also belts up without being asked to.

But it is tough to make the previous generation belt up. My FIL just plain refuses to do it. And the only thing that can make him belt up is to tell that if he does not wear it, the cops will challan us. My Dad buckles up due to persistent prompting from my Mom, but every now and then he unbuckles it - guess he finds it uncomfortable.

Never insisted rear-seat passengers to wear it, but think I should start doing it in the interest of safety. They might crib initially, but over time it will be OK.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Ohh man, don't you have tyre walls in your Getz 1.1 similar to the tyre walls seen on race tracks?
No man, no space in the small car But at the rate I'm putting on weight, it's just a matter of time before I turn into Bibendum!
Old 5th March 2009, 22:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

This poll reveals a very dangerous trend. The rear passengers must wear seatbelts.

Imagine this. The car crashes at high speed, the rear passenger behind the front seat does not wear belt. That person will be thrown like a heavy missile onto the front seat. The person sitting in the front seat will be crushed between the belt and seat.
The front passenger will be hurt the most despite wearing belts.

Avoid this.

And frankly speaking I have started travelling less with family on highways because the rear passengers dont wear belts. I dont know why, but I am concerned about safety, so I prefer not to travel.
Prevention is better than cure.
Old 5th March 2009, 23:08   #34
BHPian

80% of time I wear Seat Belt. 20-30% I will insist my co-driver to put. If he is using himself I encourage them...
Old 6th March 2009, 12:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have never had my seatbelt while in rear seats irrespective of whether its local roads or highways. TEAM-BHP is right place to start any such safety program awareness & Bhp-ian's being model for others to follow

Lets slowly start this with those "hear and respect" our words. If wearing seat belts at front seat has caught up well in India, belting up in rear seats will also pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This poll reveals a very dangerous trend. The rear passengers must wear seatbelts.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Moderator, please check whether this post is appropriate in this place (Please also feel free to edit this post or move it to another section) - The following is one of the articles that I wrote, as an encouragement for wearing seat belts:

Do you really need a seat belt? Before you say NO, read on....

Crush a very small piece of paper to make a ball, and put it in a cuboidal, transparent tiffin box. Make sure that the paper ball is in one side of the tiffin box. Close the tiffin box, you should be able to see the paper ball through the transparent lid. Now take the tiffin box in your hand, and hit it on a wall. Make sure that you hit with the side
of the tiffin box which is opposite to the paper ball.

Did you notice anything? The paper ball is thrown forward to the wall, and hits the inside of the tiffin box. The speed with which the ball hits the inside of the tiffin box is almost the same as the speed with which you hit the tiffin box against the wall.

What does this mean?
If your car accidentally hits an object on the road, or hits a vehicle in front (either coming opposite or standstill in the same direction), you would be thrown forward and would hit the inside of the car at almost the same speed at which the car was moving before the collision.

Now let's see what this speed would be.
Even if your car was running at a mere 20 km/hour, it would still mean 5.5 meter/sec. This means you would be thrown forward 5.5 meters in one second, in the event of a collision. At this speed, even if you try to place your hands in front, your head would hit the inside of the car. Your skull should be made of steel to withstand this impact.

How does a seat belt prevent this?
A seat belt would be 'loose' in normal conditions, meaning you would be able to lean forward. But in the event of a collision, you would 'lean' forward at a much greater speed, and the seat belt would immediately (automatically) lock up, preventing you from hitting the inside front of the car.

Going by the above example, please understand that it's foolish to avoid a seat belt even if you are going at just 10 km/hour.

Now take the tiffin box again, and shake it violently. Notice that the paper ball slams against the inside walls of the tiffin box multiple times. Same is the case when the car loses control after an accident - you would be thrown about (multiple times) violently inside the car.

A seat belt could prevent this.

Finally, is the air bag a substitute for the seat belt?
Please understand that the airbag is a 'single use' cushion, that inflates and then deflates immediately after the impact. In the cases where the car doesn't stop immediately after the first impact, the passenger would be thrown violently inside the car, unless a seatbelt is used.

When you hit an inflated airbag, it feels like hitting a pillow, but when you hit a fully deflated airbag, it feels like hitting a Pillow-cover without the pillow. No wonder the air bag is called SRS Airbag (Supplementary Restraint System, to be used along with a seat belt).

Now the million dollar question:

Should children be allowed in the front seats? After reading all this, go ahead if you are still not scared. Please note that slight head (brain) injury because of accidents is also a cause for epilepsy in children.

The best seating position for children is a rear facing child seat, so that their head would be cushioned against the child seat in the case of a front-on collision (secure children with the seatbelt of the child seat and secure the child seat with the car's seatbelt).

Only one car in hundreds of cars meets with an accident, but in case your car does, you may not get another chance. BUCKLE UP !!!
Old 16th September 2009, 21:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Well in india , th helmet and seatbelt are worn for the police not for oneself.

I have had several instance where i had a co passenger tell me that the seat belt are not mandatory in this state , or cops don't catch us etc when i put on my seat belt . One guy even went ballistic after i put it on saying that "you will kill the joy of driving"
Two bank staff came to my house on a bike. As they left, I told one that he should be wearing a helmet. He replied, "It's ok; I'm not driving".

Come to think of it, if one can't trust a man with his own head, why would one trust him with one's money?
Old 16th September 2009, 21:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Moderator, please check whether this post is appropriate in this place (Please also feel free to edit this post or move it to another section) - The following is one of the articles that I wrote, as an encouragement for wearing seat belts:

Do you really need a seat belt? Before you say NO, read on....

Only one car in hundreds of cars meets with an accident, but in case your car does, you may not get another chance. BUCKLE UP !!!

That was explained absolutely brilliantly! Kuddos to that!

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2009 at 02:56. Reason: Post split. Also please avoid quoting an entire large post. Thanks.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:50   #39
Team-BHP Support

I chose point 3 -> Will make sure both driver and passenger in front have to buckle. Will not insist on rear passenger

But this will better describe me
Will not insist on rear passenger. But highways, everyone MUST belt up.

On this note, I once saw a bumper sticker.
Belt you children, in the car. with a seatbelt sign beside it.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

It is in my subconscious mind, that I should buckle up before putting the car in first gear. Good for me
Old 17th September 2009, 10:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

I do wear even of its a short drive; I kind of do it automatically!

And I insist my co-passengers too; my family does wear even without asking and but if they sit in rearm, they wear only if felt its needed

Mom is actually more comfortable wear seat belt when she sits in rear ; she says its coz she is short !
Old 17th September 2009, 11:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

I always wear my seat belt while driving, and the front seat passenger (usually my wife / 9 yo son) must wear it too. I don't insist for the rear seat passengers yet, but I do realize it is important on highway drives.

OT, I always wear a helmet while riding a bike, and any male pillion rider must wear it too. I have given up requesting female pillion riders (usually my wife / mother) to wear it though. They always wear flowers in their hair, and the look they give you if you suggest they remove it and wear the helmet, will scorch you! I will be extra cautious on the road instead. I do wish they will leave sentiments aside and wear the helmet. They can always carry the flower in their bag and wear it after removing the helmet, can't they?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
.....I have had several instance where i had a co passenger tell me that the seat belt are not mandatory in this state , or cops don't catch us etc when i put on my seat belt . One guy even went ballistic after i put it on saying that "you will kill the joy of driving"
Have come across similar jokers. The ones who talk about "killing the joy of driving" need to be reminded that that's preferable to killing the joy of living.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:41   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

City driving = Driver + front passenger have to buckle up. Compulsory in my cars and has been so since '97. A neighbour of mine, and someone who I respect, made me buckle up in the Classic (export model Jeep, thus came kitted with seatbelts). Using seatbelts wasn't made mandatory way back then, yet it became the norm in my cars.

I insist on back seat passengers buckling up only on the highway. There is rarely a third passenger in my car within the city anyways.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:44   #45
BHPian

Wear It Buddy!!!

I always wear the seat belts and make my co-passenger wear it when on highways. City i usually dont wear it (I think we should wear it).

I tend to wear seats belts not just for safetly but it is also comfortable to wear it when doing above 60kmph. Seat belt grips you in the seat making it more feel more confident on road.

Also, i have seen, If you are driving safe, it means you're only 50% safe on roads!!

I recommend people to wear seat belts ATLEAST on highways. Especially during rains, night driving, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks