Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SEAT BELTS
Not very specific about wearing seat belts (including me) 7 4.58%
I definitely wear it. But will not insists others 24 15.69%
Will make sure both driver and passenger in front have to buckle. Will not insist on rear passenger 94 61.44%
I will make sure all the passengers have belted up 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 23:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

I love the seatbelt warning in the i20...

The front passenger and driver belt warning keeps beeping loudly until you belt up. Irritating but effective.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

I love wearing seat belts while driving as i feel i can control the car a tad better when not wearing one.I have a 800 and the car's bumpy suspension tends to toss the occupants around a bit so the seat belts reduce most of
the rocking in the seat phenomenon.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:54   #63
BHPian

Always wear your seat belts, please!

Many people are unaware that in case of an unfortunate accident, seat belt is the primary safety device which will save your life, not an airbag. Without wearing a seat belt your chances of getting injured are more even if you have a car fitted with air bags.

However, most of the times in India, if you are driving in a town or city, due to traffic and low speeds there is no 'real' use for a seat belt. Any minute you step on to a highway or driving faster than 40-50 kmph its absolute necessary to wear a seat belt.

Personally I don't really force people sitting in the backseat to wear one, but for front seats its a must.
Old 20th September 2009, 00:04   #64
BHPian

An absolute must for me

I have seen one accident, a bad one, where I believe if the driver would have buckled up, he would have been saved.

I make sure that me and the front passenger are wearing seat belts. I also feel safer and more confident when I am buckled up.

Fortunately my I10 has a seat belt indicator (in rare circumstance when I forget) I think this should be made a mandatory feature in all cars sold.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:56   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
However, most of the times in India, if you are driving in a town or city, due to traffic and low speeds there is no 'real' use for a seat belt. Any minute you step on to a highway or driving faster than 40-50 kmph its absolute necessary to wear a seat belt.
Just how fast do you think you have to be going to suffer serious injury? Your idea of "low speeds" is one of those ideas that is, I'm sure, helping to keep India Number One in road deaths.

Quote:
Personally I don't really force people sitting in the backseat to wear one, but for front seats its a must.
Did you watch the video I posted? Why do you think it is only front seat passengers that can fly?

Nothing personal. I was a passenger in cars in the UK long before seat belts were compulsory there; we all had to learn, and even learning about the necessity of rear-seat belts (which became compulsory in UK much, much later on than front) came only a few years back.

People keep on claiming that city speeds are "slow" in India; quite a lot of my Chennai driving is faster than the equivalent London journey would have been. London is not only more congested during more of the day, it is much more controlled by signals, speed cameras, etc. It is also much more predictable, as by-the-rules driving is the general order of the day. Also, two-wheelers, who provide a great part of the unpredictability of our Chennai traffic, are vastly more disciplined and knowledgeable.

It is really wrong to say that seat belts are not needed in Indian city driving.

I make no apology for continuing to flog this horse. Just hope someone might listen some day, and that there will be less tears in the world as a result.
Old 21st September 2009, 13:38   #66
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoors View Post
A school friend of mine lost his wife and 4 year old kid in city driving conditions.
TheDoors,

Was this in Bangalore? Was the guy driving a Lancer, if so I know the person you are referring to. This accident was very tragic and sad and sent shivers down my spine for so long! :(

Personally, I buckle up and ensure the other people in the car buckle up as well.

Regards,
gpa
Old 21st September 2009, 15:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Even though it is not yet a law in Bangalore to wear seat belts, it is a good practice to wear seat belts at least for driver / front passenger.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Many people are unaware that in case of an unfortunate accident, seat belt is the primary safety device which will save your life, not an airbag. Without wearing a seat belt your chances of getting injured are more even if you have a car fitted with air bags.

Rightly said. Airbags just reduce minor facial and body injuries. Seat belts saves lives.
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I've seen videos where passengers without seatbelts are thrown-off and have their heads hit the other (belted) passengers. Guess it's risky for you even if your co-passsenger is not belted. Would post the link to such a video after googling
Well, here is my favorite seatbelt video from Youtube - get scared !!
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:30   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you ever get into a car without putting on a seat belt?

Too right.

Thanks for the video
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:58   #71
BHPian

I never start and move my car without seat belts, I ensure even my Co-passengers wear Seatbelts
I feel very comfortable, secured with the Seat belts
I suggest / Request every T-Bhpian and all other drivers to wear Seat Belts
It is not just a Seat Belt - Its a LIFE saver
Old 4th October 2009, 14:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Well, here is my favorite seatbelt video from Youtube - get scared !!
YouTube - Always wear your seat belt

great video, and perfectly illustrates what happened to the two unfortunates in a van vs car collision i attended, with one small omission, the passenger left a good portion of their scalp attached to the inside of the fractured windscreen, not pleasant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks