Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2005, 23:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

What would you do...

Hi guys,
Today on my way back from Mahim, i stopped at the HP petrolpump near Priyadarshani Park, Neapensea road.
After filling power (Planning to change to 93 when we shift as it is not available here), our driver went to the store to get something while i was waiting.
What happened next, was totally showing me what was wrong with un educated indians possesing licenses and who have nothing else to do.
A chaeffuer driven Honda city 1.5 (Why?) was taking a turn into K****ij building after giving the signal when a scooter comes and hits it.
The scooter goes and stops at the side and the driver just pulls up the handbrake, gets out of the car with the servant sitting beside him.
Thy go look at the damage and go start arguing with the scooter guys and a crowd of bored people and cabbies surrounds them.
However in the 5 minutes of argument, the scooter guy admits his mistake but then they are still arguing while the crowd leaves (No fight.. hence no one to blame as the scooter guy admits mistake).
In the end, the driver of the city takes down the scooters number and goes back to his car and drives off.
Mind you, All this while, the car was parked at the turning and any speeding vehicle could have hit it.

Now my Question.
What to do if your car is hit by a smaller vehicle (bike/ 3 wheeler or even a small 4 wheeler) or you hit a person jaywalking (no fault of your own - Cheatingdeaths case is an eg but luckily nothing happened) and a crowd comes, surrounds the car and starts blaming you and you cannot escape or even help the injured, what would you do.
I am asking as by mistake our 800 hit a person who was jay walking and the angry mob broke the windsheil and damaged the car. Also near our house, a driver was almost lynched to death because he ALMOST hit a woman while his masters kid was witness to the horrible thing (she was barely 4 years. Imagine the scars).Also, a bike cut a truck going at speed and was crushed under it (i saw it on the way to school. Really sickening) and the truck guy was being beaten up. (i saw the whole thing happen as i was early and our driver was curious - don't ask).
I am sure this would be helpful to quite a lot of people.
P.S - it is this part of the indian mentality that really irritates me.
Thanks.
Old 8th May 2005, 23:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

In case of mob fury...its better to get away and file an FIR at the nearest police station. People will take out their frustrations anyway they can, the bigger vehicle will generally be assumed to be at fault.

But always help the person involved regardless of whose fault it is. Time is precious for those injured in accidents.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 8th May 2005 at 23:19.
Old 8th May 2005, 23:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

But, what if you are surrounded and have no way to escape?
Should you use the power of the car or what?
Old 8th May 2005, 23:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Anyway to get away...be careful not to run over people though.

Drifter
Old 8th May 2005, 23:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

I'll give you a similar situation that I faced about a month ago. It was Good Friday and as usual I was driving to work. When I reached Catering College, I found myself following an Indica and a Santro. Behind me was a chap on a Pulsar - educated and decent. All vehicles were doing about 50km/h. The fellow in the Indica suddenly decided to turn right into a small lane. He did indicate, but somewhat late. The Santro braked hard and screeched to halt. I was following at a safe distance, so a semi-firm push of the brake pedal had me stopping well in time and without any screeching. The bike behind me was rather close and though he was able to manouvre his way around the rear of my car, he did graze the left rear end. Both of us moved to the left and stopped. I got out and first walked up to him - asked him if he was OK. He said, I'm fine and I let him go. Then I walked over to see the damage. There was a huge scratch on the boot. It hurt me a bit, but dosen't matter, human well-being comes first.
Q. What would I do if something like this happens again?
A. The same thing that I did then.
But, if I happend to knock down a man, I would check out the mob that's approaching the accident site. If I feel that the crowd is aggressive, I won't stop - I'll drive to the nearest Police Station and give a report of what happened. There is no point in getting beaten up or having your car destroyed.
If there is no crowd, I'll take the man to the nearest medical facility.
Old 8th May 2005, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude according to the law its pretty simple.if you knock down anyone its your fault. pedestrians have a right to walk on the road.i know its sounds stupid but in a country like ours with the majority of the population are walking and dont own cars themselves rules like these have to be made.so comming back to the point if you knock down anyone anywhere anyhow your at fault.and incase of an accident conscerning two vehicles who ever is behnind the fault is thiers(according to law). for example suppose someones taking a right turn on a mainroad and a scooter comming from the opposite direction bangs into the left side of the car taking the turn its the scooter guys fault as his front has banged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Hi guys,

you hit a person jaywalking (no fault of your own - Cheatingdeaths case is an eg but luckily nothing happened) and a crowd comes, surrounds the car and starts blaming you.

such a thing will always be seen as the drivers fault even if the guy is drunk.

REv

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2005 at 08:16.
Old 9th May 2005, 03:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Simply put....
If you are surrounded by a mob,just dont stop.Move out of that location as soon as possible and head to the nearest police station.Come back with the cops to that spot.
If no one's around,drive that person to a hospital and pay for his expenses.Thats if he is injured.If he's not,just give him a 500 buck note and drive off peacefully.

X
Old 9th May 2005, 05:48   #8
BHPian

yeah, i think the best thing is just to wheel spin your way out of it...! It has happened to me once..... i was going to dadar stn. from vileparle at 7:00am.... to pick someone up....i was late, so i was zipping.... now at the junction after Irish pub in khar there was some dirt and mud on the road... i was approaching the junction and the taxi ahead of me braked hard.... by then i was doing a about 60kph... the car didnt stop in time...and i happened to bump into a auto rickshaw which was parked on the right hand side.... now there were about 8-10 autos parked in a line...so all those auto guys surrounded the road at the junction.... lucking my car was perfect and only the bumper was damaged....so i pulled the car in reverse....and just wheel spun....as soon as i wheel spun all the auto guys shat...and moved over to lemme go!!

Got damn lucky that day....otherwise i would have got a good beating...!
Old 9th May 2005, 10:11   #9
BHPian

lambo... well i have a kept nunchucks in my car.. if someone tries to mess i jus pull it out ... and its a metal one..after seeing ...even george would **** bricks ...ya safest best is to jus scare people by revving the car and ..

i mean its a mob if you hit one or two badly ... i mean real bad ..so that the rest just get scared to messwith ou by seeing the other guyz broken nose and blood everywhere

i personally feel you should be keeping a sword in the car ....but as of now nunchucks are goood enough

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 9th May 2005 at 10:15.
Old 9th May 2005, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
lambo... well i have a kept nunchucks in my car.. if someone tries to mess i jus pull it out ... and its a metal one..after seeing ...even george would **** bricks ...ya safest best is to jus scare people by revving the car and ..

i mean its a mob if you hit one or two badly ... i mean real bad ..so that the rest just get scared to messwith ou by seeing the other guyz broken nose and blood everywhere

i personally feel you should be keeping a sword in the car ....but as of now nunchucks are goood enough
Perfect solution isn't it? More violence to counter an already violent situation. Fight fire with fire, is it? You are going to fight off a mob with a pair of nunchucks? Hey swords sound like a decent solution, still not good enough to fight off a mob. Maybe a couple of guns in the front air dam should do just fine, blow a few people's heads off, and the rest will back away. Right?
Old 9th May 2005, 11:14   #11
BHPian

hey ... it was all humourus dude... wasnt really a solution...and as far as thee nunchucks are concerned they are fer self defence only in deserted areas ... and places like dharawi .... have never used and hopefully will never even if i get it out i wont jab a flick on any one...its just to scare i definately know the responsibility of power
Old 9th May 2005, 11:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini.. no matter whose fault it is.. i have learnt from my experience that the MOB will always try to take the two wheeler waalas side... They will make the Car wala the culprit no matter what!.. (the reason behind this is that most of the people who constitute the MOB, are semi literate or illitrate people themselves.. so they vent out their own anger and frustration of not having a four wheeler .. on YOU!.. they think anybody driving a car is a lamb whom they can cut to pieces immediately!.. )
so its better to make your way out silently otherwise the stupid mob can damage your vehicle also if you argue.
it has happened with me twice... and even the police wallas in Delhi take the poorer guy (the two wheeler walas) side so as to extort money from the car walla ...
Old 9th May 2005, 11:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
hey ... it was all humourus dude... wasnt really a solution...and as far as thee nunchucks are concerned they are fer self defence only in deserted areas ... and places like dharawi .... have never used and hopefully will never even if i get it out i wont jab a flick on any one...its just to scare i definately know the responsibility of power

Hmmmm...overlooked the humour in that post. Henceforth, please use atleast one smiley per post.
Old 9th May 2005, 11:44   #14
F50
Senior - BHPian

Remember one thing always the bigger vehicle is at fault, when a car hits a scooter the car guy is at fault(which is not the case 95% of the times).
Driving rashly is not the best way to impress.
Old 9th May 2005, 11:51   #15
BHPian

nice one there port ... after reading your first post... you reminded me of my 1st grade teacher (humour)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks