Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 20:28   #16
BHPian

We need serious judicial reform to hand out capital punishment to those found guilty of ragging,rape and paedophilia. I feel ragging should be brought under the purview of organized crime and such scumbags should be made to pay exorbitant amounts to the next of kin. Until you have very very stringent laws moneybags and politico kids will continue to run amuck. These are 3 crimes that fill me with extreme anger. They should be like narcotics cases where the accused does not even get to apply for bail.
Old 11th March 2009, 20:38   #17
BHPian

This is sad. The ugly face of ragging is showing up again
Old 11th March 2009, 22:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

An update:
HP students charged with murder for ragging death-India-The Times of India

All 4 have been arrested and slapped with murder charges.
Old 12th March 2009, 01:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The police and the judicial system is not this much corrupt as it is in India. My cousin faced this, called up police and escaped the worst.
Try doing the same in India and you will come to know what the reality is and the extent to which things have downgraded.

Other cousin who is brother of the one I have mentioned here, was at Jamnagar Medical college. He was slapped many times without reason while he was walking in corridor or having a cup of tea in canteen.
He was once literally thrown out of canteen.
Police, officers, officials, etc. nothing helped and only made the matters worse.
My sister also faced the same as she had to travel for 36 kms in bus daily.
In the bus ragging used to happen.
I had a physical fight at Vidyanagar college and one so called rector of girl's hostel knew senior student whom I beat up. He followed me for around 6 kms., then I beat him up. People say I broke his wrist and jaw, but I dont care.

This the extent to which the culture in families have degraded. Basically if good culutre is followed at homes and parents are moral, this generally does not happen, but the reality happens to be different in India and I am certainly not proud to be Indian.

This reminds me of another case where a student was made to do pushups for long, so much so that finally his kidneys were damaged and damage was done to his internal organs.

We call this education. Tell parents and they say " its OK, the world faced it and you too face this ". There is no solution to this problem and rather than getting worries, what one needs is strenght to fight this out. Again in India, the good voice will never come up.
very good post here...i would like to add that these days, down south, ragging has pretty much gone away. Administrations have cracked down. I started at MS Ramaiah medical college in bangalore in 05..my batch and the batch after me were prolly the last to get any serious ragging. Im an NRI so i escaped a lot of it. A pretty big incident involving girls who were ragging other girls in the hostel happened last year and was pretty much taken care of..funny thing is i knew all the girls involved in the incident
Old 12th March 2009, 01:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I've heard of some really extreme things done in ragging. My cousin's husband told us about one incident that was just disgusting. I'd rather not mention it here.
And its the same when it comes to the fairer sex.Bunch of stories about how girls rag their juniors,and most of it was 'physical' stuff.
Old 12th March 2009, 02:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I've heard of some really extreme things done in ragging. My cousin's husband told us about one incident that was just disgusting. I'd rather not mention it here.
And its the same when it comes to the fairer sex.Bunch of stories about how girls rag their juniors,and most of it was 'physical' stuff.
i heard the same...a lot of it has gone on at my college..:(
Old 12th March 2009, 03:38   #22
BANNED

Im sorry, but judicial reforms and police action is NOT going to help. I remember my first day at college where we were preyed on by a bunch of desperate seniors. one of the idiots took my watch away. while this was happening, somebody called the cops. they promptly arrived and introduced all of the seniors to the business end of their lathis. you think this would deter them? wrong!
the next day, we were all ejected from our classroom by friends of the beaten up bunch, made to sit outside on the college gate and shout "ek do, ek do, principal ko phenk do".

over a period of time, I met a few seniors who were way too cool. the way they presented themselves is how introductions should be made. Ive directly and indirectly been through bad ragging. while this intensified my hatred for the stupid exercise, what it did for most people was to make them frustrated and desperate thus propagating this unholy custom forward.

we had our revenge. bashed up a dozen of our seniors as soon as the freshers party was out of the way. but the damage was already done. we had a fresh bunch of people in our midst who now believed it was their sacred right to harass their juniors.

the only effective solution I see to this problem is for people to stop their peers from ragging and make them realize that theyve become the very thing they hate. the rest will automatically fall in place.
Old 12th March 2009, 08:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

@CaliAtenza: Thanks!

The problem is the core mentality and thinking which is of very poor quality in India. The reason goes back to the old British raj. Our present judicial system is based on that. At that time, we were slaves, so everytime an officer comes, we said " sir ". Why this in free country ?

Similarly the mentality of junior and senior comes up. What ever be the fine can we get the traffic more disciplined ? NO. Why ? Its because we as citizens are not pure at heart ( there are exceptions, but they contribute to just 1% or even less of entire population of India ).

The same goes for ragging, if the students dont do this, all is solved. The only advantage we can have if strict implementation is executed, is that the colleges are restricted premises and anything wrong happening here = controllable by college authorities.
If a single case of ragging is revealed from any institution, the principle of the college must be the one to be arrested. This is the final solution to all problems. He/She would ensure that nothing goes wrong.

But its a dream and will remain a dream.

Regarding the girls, I know the extent to which the ragging goes on in Hostels. Heard from my sister and I again I would not like to put up more serious incidences ( you can gauge the intensity ).
Old 12th March 2009, 20:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not support ragging of any form, specially when it gets physical.
For me, the best solution is to ignore it and when those people come to ask you for help of any kind, ignore them as well.

I remember an incident when a senior was trying to rag me. My friends came and ended up ragging him till he started crying and when he complained, we counter complained and he got into much worse stuff than us. After all, he should be an example to us and not the other way around right?
Old 12th March 2009, 21:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@CaliAtenza: Thanks!

The problem is the core mentality and thinking which is of very poor quality in India. The reason goes back to the old British raj. Our present judicial system is based on that. At that time, we were slaves, so everytime an officer comes, we said " sir ". Why this in free country ?

Similarly the mentality of junior and senior comes up. What ever be the fine can we get the traffic more disciplined ? NO. Why ? Its because we as citizens are not pure at heart ( there are exceptions, but they contribute to just 1% or even less of entire population of India ).

The same goes for ragging, if the students dont do this, all is solved. The only advantage we can have if strict implementation is executed, is that the colleges are restricted premises and anything wrong happening here = controllable by college authorities.
If a single case of ragging is revealed from any institution, the principle of the college must be the one to be arrested. This is the final solution to all problems. He/She would ensure that nothing goes wrong.

But its a dream and will remain a dream.

Regarding the girls, I know the extent to which the ragging goes on in Hostels. Heard from my sister and I again I would not like to put up more serious incidences ( you can gauge the intensity ).
you've hit on the very points i was trying to express, about the mentality of india..i really want to do an opinion piece in the paper about how society is detiorating day by day :(
Old 12th March 2009, 21:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well i am from a college which is mentioned here and all i can say is we as people got to change. However strict people get this trend just goes on. In our college we could get away only incase your a localite or your dads a cop. Nothing else could prevent that.
It felt like a case where you had to respect people for no reason. Just because he joined a year earlier or something.
Remember a case where a guy dared complain and his own batchmates made him an outcast!!
Old 12th March 2009, 23:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

If this wasn't enough, there's another case reported:

Andhra girl attempts suicide after being ragged-India-The Times of India

Pathetic state of affairs!!
Old 12th March 2009, 23:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really a horrible incident! MEDICAL students, getting DRUNK and TAKING THE LIFE of a guy?! MEra(?) bhArat mahAn!! :bow:

I can say that I'm fortunate enough to have escaped this stupid thing, having never been to college in India (I studied a couple of years in Singapore then doing my grad. thru dist. edu here since)
But worst thing is that some people I know who have been through it themselves actually later support the whole thing, saying that it is nothing serious, just hyped up by parents/media! even turn positive towards it!

I had one friend who was an IITan and is intelligent enough to have done a ph.d! He once actually gave me a rosy picture, hoping that I got "ragged properly" when I had to start my higher education! Insisted that it was a very healthy, constructive way to getting along with seniors, and that afterwards they'd help you in a lot of way, like your projects etc.!
Big deal! IF you needed to BUY your way to their help/friendship by accepting this kind of thing, how different are you from a you-know-what who agrees to sell her dignity for money/other benefits?!
Ridiculous!

And yeah, I agree its gone down to almost equally disgusting levels among girls as well! Probably an attempt to prove their equality with guys in being "bold" (sorry if I sound chauvinistic!)
Old 13th March 2009, 00:00   #29
BHPian

join the group in support and all the delhi guys come join in for the vigil march if you can!!
For Aman Satya Kachroo, the brother they took from us.

Last edited by speed0mania : 13th March 2009 at 00:01.
Old 13th March 2009, 01:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
very good post here...i would like to add that these days, down south, ragging has pretty much gone away.
I dont quite agree. Friend of mine is currently studying Biotech in Chennai, and the stories I've heard (he was in the hostel) are beyond anyone's realm of imagination. Seriously.
Maybe the admin has cracked down in a few institutions but not all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks