Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2005, 23:35   #31
BHPian

that was really informative khanak..well i am gonna take a printout and put it in my car..so that next time when i am stopped ..i will refer that..
Old 12th May 2005, 00:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

no problem....glad to help
Old 12th May 2005, 02:16   #33
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
dude,,,,please teach me.... how not to pay .....These #@!$#^ have been harassing me too much for my comfort...! Luckily i think its been like 20 days....that i havent been caught for hte exhaust..!
Dude..your exhaust takes loudness to new levels
Old 12th May 2005, 03:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nice info there guys.
I was usually caught by the cops everyday for my exhaust note previously.It was just too damn loud.Had to do a few changes and thankfully the sound has been reduced by 60% now.My car was even seized and i was made to sit in the police station at 2am for the exhaust note.But got off finally,all thanks to my lawyer.If any cops hail me,all i do is argue for a while and pay them 100rs and drive off.Or aske them to take me to the nearest chowky,call my lawyer and ask him to deal with them.
Remember,the cops are half dead the moment they see a lawyer.They cant argue with them,as they hardly know any of the rules perfectly.So generally a lawyer can 'screw' them.

X
Old 12th May 2005, 11:03   #35
BANNED

Hey Khanak, great work with the rules!

Now what we need is a list of the exact powers that the cops have, depending on their rank.

Cause I'm dead sure a havaldar doesn't have the power to take keys away or confiscate a car. Yet I've heard cases where they threaten to do so because they know you don't know better. In fact, most of us can't distinguish between a havaldar and a sub inspector.

It's time to put these thieves in their place!
Old 12th May 2005, 11:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Q) What documents should a driver carry when driving?

* Driving license
* Registration Certificate
* Taxation Certificate
* PUC Certificate
* Insurance Certificate
* Fitness Certificate & Permit (incase of transport vehicles)

Q) What are the consequences for driving without a license?
The defaulter is liable to be prosecuted in a criminal court with fine up to Rs 500, three months imprisonment or both.

Q) When can the authorities detain a vehicle?

Authorities can detain a vehicle in the following circumstances:

* Vehicle being driven by an individual without valid driving license
* Vehicle being driven without registration
* Transport vehicle being driven without Permit
* Vehicle being driven without payment of Tax
* Improper/suspicious registration. No number plate

Q) What is the punishment for drunken driving/driving under the influence of any drug?

If a driver is caught driving a vehicle with alcohol in his blood exceeding 30 mg per 100 ml or he is under the influence of a drug to such an extent that he is incapable of exercising proper control over the vehicle, the following will be the punishments:

* First Offence: Imprisonment up to 6 months or fine up to RS 2000 or both
* Subsequent Offence: Imprisonment up to 2 years or fine up to RS 3000 or both

Q) Under what conditions is the towing of a vehicle allowed?
Vehicle abandoned or left unattended
Parked in a parking restricted zone
Parked in a way causing inconvenience to other road users

Q) What are the duties of a driver when his vehicle is involved in an accident resulting in death/bodily injury/damage to property?

* The duties of the driver are as under:
* Arrange for medical help
* Inform the police
* Incase the vehicle is carrying dangerous goods, keep everyone away, avoid smoking in the vicinity and take emergency action as displayed on the vehicle.

Q) What is the meaning of the odd and even parking board ? Does it relate to date or day of the month /week?
The odd and even day parking relates to the date of the month & not the day of the month/week.

Q) What is the rule for use of mobile phone ?
Ans. As per section 250 (A) MMVR ,r/w 177 M.V.Act no driver while driving or riding a motor vehicle ( including two wheelers ) shall use a mobile phone.

Q) What is the rule regarding seat belts? Is it binding using seat belts while driving in interior areas or by lanes?
Ans. The driver and the person seated in the front seat must wear the seat belts while vehicle is in motion ( U/S 138 CMVR r/w 177 MVA . It has been made compulsory to the manufacturers from the year 1995 to provide the seat belts to the vehicles. It is binding on occupants to wear the seat belts whenever vehicle is in motion.

Q) What is the rule for tinted glasses?
Ans. The glass of windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be maintained in such a way that visual transmission of light is not less than 70% and side windows shall be maintained in such a way that visual transmission of light is not less than 50% and shall confirm to Indian Standards.

Q) How do I pay my traffic fine
You can go to the respective Ttraffic Chowkey up to 3 days show your L-Tem Pay the fine get a proper receipt. After 3 days you can go to fine collection counter at Traffic H.Q. at Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai

Q) Who is authorised to collect the traffic fine on the spot.
Any Traffic branch officer of and above the rank of Sub-Inspector of Police duly authorised with a receipt book

FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING
Q) Can I use mobile phone while driving?
As per rule 250 (A)(1) of Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, use of mobile phone is prohibited by driver while driving or riding a motor vehicle (including two wheelers).

Q) Can I keep my mobile phone switch on while driving?
If you are alone in the car, you shall switch off your mobile phone while driving any motor vehicle.(Section 250 (A)(2) of M.M.V.R.1989)

Q) Can I use hands-free or any other accessories of mobile phone while driving?
No. (As per rule mentioned above.)

Q) Can other occupants of the motor vehicle use mobile phone?
Yes. Other than driver, occupants of the motor vehicle can use mobile phone.

Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.

Q) What is fine or penalty for using mobile phone, while driving?
As per section 177 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, using mobile phone while driving fine is Rs.100/-. But, if it causes further inconvenience or is hazardous to the road users, then the driver may be fined for negligence driving, for which fine is Rs.1000/- and compounding fee is Rs.500/-.

Q) Can I get refund on fine?
If a fine is recovered as a cash bail deposit and if you appear in the court, it may refunded or deposited as per court order. If cash is taken, as a compounding fee, then it is non-refundable as the case it self is disposed off on the spot. (Sec.200 of M.V.Act1988).

Q) If I don't have money to pay fine, what is the procedure?
As per Sec.206 (2) of M.V.Act, 1988,if you will not pay fine, your driving license may be impounded in lieu of temporary license permit, which is issued by the official handling the matter.

Q) If I am a doctor; can I use my mobile phone in an emergency while driving?
No. Exemption is not given to any one in the M.V.Act or Rules regarding this and all are same in front of law.

Last edited by khanak : 12th May 2005 at 11:35.
Old 12th May 2005, 11:57   #37
BANNED

Q) When can the authorities detain a vehicle?

Authorities can detain a vehicle in the following circumstances:

* Vehicle being driven by an individual without valid driving license
* Vehicle being driven without registration
* Transport vehicle being driven without Permit
* Vehicle being driven without payment of Tax
* Improper/suspicious registration. No number plate

So they can't detain a car just because it is modified?

Q) Who is authorised to collect the traffic fine on the spot.
Any Traffic branch officer of and above the rank of Sub-Inspector of Police duly authorised with a receipt book

So havaldars aren't allowed to fine people? I think I've really been scammed then in the past...going to throw the book at the next pandu who tries to bluff me!

Q) If I don't have money to pay fine, what is the procedure?
As per Sec.206 (2) of M.V.Act, 1988,if you will not pay fine, your driving license may be impounded in lieu of temporary license permit, which is issued by the official handling the matter.

Does this also apply to sub inspectors and above? Because in that case, it means that 90% of the cops we deal with every day don't actually have any powers and they only get away by lying to us.

Thanks Khanak, that was pretty enlightening...
Old 12th May 2005, 11:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.
What's this?!?!? Can't we park our vehicles and use the cell phone??! Moreover, isn't hands-free allowed??!?
Old 12th May 2005, 12:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's this?!?!? Can't we park our vehicles and use the cell phone??! Moreover, isn't hands-free allowed??!?
Forget that, on a recent Top Gear episode i downloaded, they were talking about cell phone rules in the UK which state that talking on the cell phone is illegal while driving but, there's no rule against sending SMS messages. You cannot be caught if you're found sending SMS messages while driving a car.

Yeah right!!! I'm sure that's gonna save many a lives. Hahahah

Who are the people who come up with such rules?

Shan2nu
Old 12th May 2005, 12:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

hahha shan
seriously some sense should be drilled into these guys ......sending messages is worse than calling !!

Rev
Old 12th May 2005, 12:32   #41
BHPian

ya because the mind is totally diverted in sms and till the time u look up you find that you have hit some vehicle
Old 14th May 2005, 18:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

One great topic this is. Very informative. I was thinking about starting something along these lines myself but BoomS beat me to it. Great info provided by Khanak. Thanks.

For those that may not be aware, there is a place on www.indiacar.com where one can ask specific questions to an RTO officer. Sorry, can't remember the proper details.
Old 14th May 2005, 18:25   #43
BANNED

Hey Boom Shiva,
The havaldars have found a loop hole to book people. They have presigned Temp License receipts which they issue to you. I was in a situation once and when i told him that he did not have the authority to compound he took out the presigned book. I told him that this i snot your name and refused to give him my license I gave him my details and drove off.

Viper
Old 21st April 2009, 17:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I was recently stopped by a cop last week. He wanted to fine me for talking on bluetooth while driving. According to him, there is a clause in the MV act which says that talking on the mobile while driving, be it over the handset, bluetooth or handsfree headset are all banned.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:15   #45
Team-BHP Support

^ Refer to the above post on mobile phone usage
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...html#post80131

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks