Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2005, 11:31   #1
BANNED

What can cops do?

Every day, people get scammed by the cops because the rules are so vague.

Being car enthusiasts, we're a particularly vulnerable lot, because the pandus look at our flash-looking cars like they're ATMs.

It's clear that the police are not interested in honesty or upholding the law. They just want to get their paws on as much of your money as they can. Very often, they mislead you and quote fake rules, and people have no choice but to go along, because they don't know the real laws.

I think we need to put down a list of laws that we can go by, the next time a cop stops us, e.g. can they take away our keys/confiscate our cars or licences etc.

What are the exact powers of the police?

Knowledge is power. If we know what the real law is, we can put these thieves in uniform in their place.

Any lawyers on team-bhp?
Old 11th May 2005, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic: If you were a cop having a wife/son/daughter and to make matters worse - the only son, you will surely not be following the rules with that sad salary and the amount of workload/stress. Not blaming them, but the system.

P.S. Not directed to anyone, just a general statement.
Old 11th May 2005, 11:55   #3
BHPian

i agree to u gordon,, but we like good peopel pay our taxes , so now its govt's responcibility to remunarate the pandus as much they want ... and why shall we suffer for the govt's bad policies (Applicable when we are not on fault but still pandu asks us for Mullaah).

Genuine case are exceptional... and the police department has the right to put panalty on us. (considering the fact if we are reay to pay )

I think its a nice idea to have a thread like this...
" Half Knoledge is always Risky "

NOTE. anybody who come accross with any rules PLZ post. Lets try and drive through the signals without paying ..
Old 11th May 2005, 12:05   #4
BHPian

these cops only know the language of money i myslef have been caught many times that too for not possesing licence and the car papers but once i take out the money the cop is like my best friend.see if you have a flashy car keep a safe distance from cops drive in the middle lane coz the cops r always in the extreme left or extreme right and if you have neons dont put it off while driving during cities this catches even more attention of cops. and always posses all the papers of your car such as rc book puc and insurance papers and the tax paper and a valid licence because when the catch u they first ask for a licence then the papers

Last edited by kooldude : 11th May 2005 at 12:07.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Admin : slang is not permitted on Team-BHP. Do spare some effort and read the Board rules section
Old 11th May 2005, 13:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
these cops only know the language of money i myslef have been caught many times that too for not possesing licence and the car papers but once i take out the money the cop is like my best friend.
No Offense. Why remove money in the first place and then tell "these cops only know the language of money". We ourselves are teaching the language of money. Wouldn't it be better to pay off the fine and get a reciept for it in a completely legal manner. By offering to do "mandavli", we are the ones who encourage them. So they are not the only ones to be blamed. As the saying goes, "Taali ek haath sey nahi bajti"
Old 11th May 2005, 13:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
these cops only know the language of money i myslef have been caught many times that too for not possesing licence and the car papers but once i take out the money the cop is s

u deserve a good thrashing as well for continuing to drive without licence.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:32   #8
BHPian

hey gordon once i was caught for breaking a signal he stopped me i didnt have a licence, nor the papers so he told me to come to the police chowki and take a recipt and in that situation i would have to pay fine for licence not possesing the papers and even for breaking the signal.what if he would have confiscated my car then i would have to pay a huge fine to him. So some times it becomes necessary to give mandavli otherwise you are totally stuck up
Old 11th May 2005, 13:33   #9
BHPian

hey satya dont get angry have stopped driving since a month just go for a drive near my compound
Old 11th May 2005, 13:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey gordon once i was caught for breaking a signal he stopped me i didnt have a licence, nor the papers so he told me to come to the police chowki and take a recipt and in that situation i would have to pay fine for licence not possesing the papers and even for breaking the signal.what if he would have confiscated my car then i would have to pay a huge fine to him. So some times it becomes necessary to give mandavli otherwise you are totally stuck up
You yourself confess that you were wrong. It is you who is breaking the law by not possesing a licence and car papers. Moreover, if he takes you to the police chowky and gives you a reciept, is he doing anything wrong??! All you have to do is get the papers and your licence and pay the fine. Isn't it you who is changing his mind by showing him the money?!? And it is you again who is blaming them.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:42   #11
BHPian

yeah you are right gordon i was wrong but i have seen many cops demanding unecessary money
Old 11th May 2005, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey gordon once i was caught for breaking a signal he stopped me i didnt have a licence, nor the papers so he told me to come to the police chowki and take a recipt and in that situation i would have to pay fine for licence not possesing the papers and even for breaking the signal.what if he would have confiscated my car then i would have to pay a huge fine to him.
No offence but i think he SHOULD have confiscated your car. Not only were u driving without a license and papers, u were also breaking traffic rules!!

As for cops demanding unnecessary money, i think most of the times they demand money coz they know that the driver is at fault. I was once stopped by a cop in Delhi. I had my DL with me, the car's RC copy, car's insurance papers and an upto date PUC certificate. The cop did not ask for a single rupee. He let me go as soon as he finished checking my papers.

Last edited by amitoj : 11th May 2005 at 14:11.
Old 11th May 2005, 14:15   #13
BHPian

hey guys i am very sorry seriously i should not have driven the car now have stopped driving it and this is to all the underage drivers in t bhp please dont drive till you are 18. learn from my mistakes. you can be a very good driver but the others arent so if they hit u you cant tell that it is their fault you are in fault coz you dont have a licence and your parents have to suffer for this. I myself have undergone through this read my thread in buckle up street stories
Old 11th May 2005, 15:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey kooldude
just chill out and learn never to repeat your mistakes.

boom shiva great thread started even i had started a similar thread but the main thing out there is cops reacting to modified cars.i personally feel that more than anyone cops are the most corrupt.(not all of them but most of them)people offer them moeny but it doesnt mean they have to take it.they can refuse but they would rather take it and earn that extra buck then work their a** out all day and get a small measly salary.in so many cases cops scare people and sometimes even tell them that if you pay x amount of money i will be able to get you out of trouble.people dont get into trouble on purpose we meet with an accident by mistake and mistakes happen noones perfect but cops sieze this opportunity to extract money out of innocent people.

The other day this happened in front of me i was at marine drive and this taxi guy was reversing and suddenly sees some stone or something behins so quickly shifts into thesecond lane.a guy was driving in the second lane seeing that just slams his breaks but bangs into the cab.there was a cop van a few meters ahead.they were fully aware of what happened and it was fully the taxi guys fault.i was in my friends a car just a little behind we stop behind the esteem and 1st check if hes okay. the cops get out of the van and first thing they do is ask for his liscence they should have atleast asked if hes okay and not injured !! anyway then they ask for car papers and stuff and then they told they guy that hell have to go to the police station and alodge a complaint that so and so as happend.the guy in the esteem said he had to go pick up his parents from the airport so he couldnt go to the police station then.so they said ok you leave your car here and go.so he pleaded with them so after a few minuites they said you give 3000 right now for the damage of the taxi and as a fine and go.he didnt know what to do and just paid up.

After that i went upto him and spoke to him and asked him why did he pay.he said his parenst were old and were coming back from a vacation they were happy and all and didnt want them to unnecsarily become sad so he didnt want them to know about the incident so he just paid up.i feel it was totally that cab guys fault firstly for reversing on marine drive at 1 30 and secondly for changing lanes while reversing without any signal or brake or reverse light !!

REv
Old 11th May 2005, 15:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Atleast i havent had any bad experiences with cops (be it Hubli, Bangalore or any other city). If i've ever been caught, it's bcoz of my mistakes.

Atleast in Bangalore i've seen boards which state the amount you need to pay for every traffic rule broken. Just make sure you know where these boards are, so that the next time a cop charges you, you can check it out for yourself.

Satya seemed pretty impressed with the helping nature of the Hubli cops. Hehe.

U just gotta know how to treat them.

I get to deal with them pretty often since the place where i get the tyre pressure checked is situated 15 feet into a one way street and if i am to take the road ahead, that would take me something like 2 kms to reach the same place where the one way street starts (which is just 15 feet behind me).

So what i do is, get out of the car, walk upto the cop and ask him if it's ok if i back my car up by 15 feet so that i can save the trouble of having to travel the extra 2 kms (for no reason). Some how, the cops usually let me back up unless he feels that the road is too crowded and that it could cause trouble.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 11th May 2005 at 15:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks