Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 09:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Where are my Education Cess going to??? Will Govt. make education within reach?

Every government coming to power always says that they will make education within reach of everyone. But is it really happening? Or any palns towards attaining it? Where are the huge surplus collected as Education cess from us goes to?

This year I see that almost all, yes all schools have hiked their fees by 40% to 80%+. Just not the tution fees, but the donations too. Oops, no more donations, its Registration fees, building fund, etc etc.

Its not just school, even the play schools seems to be getting very expensive. I think the ONLY industry which is not hit by the recession is EDUCATION industry. If this trend continues, do you think even middle class kids will be able to get to collages?

The number of collages & schools have increased like anything. Every politician has atleast one engg or medical collage. So, what happen? Even then the fees goes higher and higher. Does it mean still the demand is getting more and more for the seats? Or we are left with no option that we pay whatever is asked by the managements?

What do you think is the reason for this? Eventhough govt has strick norms on collecting huge funds in different names as non-refundable deposits, none of the schools or collages are cared about. Most transaction have in white, I mean by cheque. But still why is it govt not able to take any actions to atleast reduce it?

Any thoughts?

Is it because I am in a city like Bangalore experience this? I think no, its same fate in every cornor of India, right? Then why?

Last edited by mjothi : 18th March 2009 at 09:28.
Old 18th March 2009, 10:11   #2
BANNED

I have a feeling that it is all going waste. Probably ends up in the central pool at the end of the day.
Old 18th March 2009, 10:29   #3
BHPian

IMO, govt has no business regulating education so closely. The high fees that you see is a direct effect of close control of supply. High demand, tightly controlled supply= higher profit. What is called in economic parlance as "economic rent". The sector should be liberalized with an independent regualtor, may be on the lines of TRAI. A better way to make it affordable to all would be to make credit easily accessible. There are other ways as well. Unless and until govt stops controlling education sector so completely, the state of education won't improve.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks