Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Anyone into multi-level marketing?

How much successful multilevel marketing is ?? It may be my first attempt when i am taking multi-level marketing so much seriously. Had heard about Amway and Modi Group long before, but was never interested.

Usually i just ignore such things but recently i was approached by a friend for the same. Upon presentation the returns committed were alarming. Concept is something where-in i need to make two members and sell them two products costing from 5-6K odd and i'll get a direct commission of 1K, this chain continues till infinite and the commission benefit is passed till root every time two members are added. Which means i'll even earn the commission 1K if members under my umbrella makes another members.

Company involved in the stuff is ISO 9001:2008 certified, a FICCI Member and a MVIRDC Trade Center - Mumbai Member. So chances of company running away are less.

It the stuff digestible ??
Old 19th March 2009, 14:50   #2
BANNED

Title must be Anyone 'sucked' into multi-level marketing ??

IMO, people into MLM see their friends & acquaintances has potential targets, bug them and lose them.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
...the returns committed were alarming...
That's one good reason to stay away from this.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

anybody who fell victim to gold quest ? Even my best friend tried to , but i didn't. the only thing I'd purchase through multi level marketing is amsoil
Old 19th March 2009, 14:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Am not sure where this thread is going. If you are going to market your MLM venture over here - you have been warned1
Old 19th March 2009, 15:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am not sure where this thread is going. If you are going to market your MLM venture over here - you have been warned1
Don't worry.. I ain't still became member nor did i intended to.. Putting up the thread is to get things cleared only and get a simple answer of ques.

For me it is not possible, it is kind of day dreaming only. As others said if you ready to bug your friends and relatives and want yourself to be ignored then you are in the first row of candidates for a MLM.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you work for something you get paid.
You should not be getting paid for someone else's effort.

The premise of MLM is that you are getting paid for the efforts of people further down the chain.

Its against my understanding of ethics to be involved in an MLM scheme of any kind.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

MLM iss just a clear example of marketing and gullibility. The best way to lose friends is to consistently try to sell them something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The premise of MLM is that you are getting paid for the efforts of people further down the chain.
Sir, that is the premise of any business with more than 1 employee.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
How much successful multilevel marketing is ?? It may be my first attempt when i am taking multi-level marketing so much seriously. Had heard about Amway and Modi Group long before, but was never interested.

Usually i just ignore such things but recently i was approached by a friend for the same. Upon presentation the returns committed were alarming. Concept is something where-in i need to make two members and sell them two products costing from 5-6K odd and i'll get a direct commission of 1K, this chain continues till infinite and the commission benefit is passed till root every time two members are added. Which means i'll even earn the commission 1K if members under my umbrella makes another members.

Company involved in the stuff is ISO 9001:2008 certified, a FICCI Member and a MVIRDC Trade Center - Mumbai Member. So chances of company running away are less.

As pointed by others, MLM schemes are usually great ways to lose friends and fast. However, leave that aside for a bit. Are you sure you've got the details of the scheme correctly? IMO, there has to be some mistake in your calculations. Assuming you're correct, then a few rungs down the chain, the company will be paying more than it earns. For ex: the chain is 1-2-3-4-5-6...-12 Now if 12 appoints 2 members and sells them two items of 6k each, each member in the chain gets 1k, so the company ends up paying 12k as commission while receiving only 12k in revenue, plus it bears the cost of the product(presumably from earlier profits or future profits).

Sounds like a classic Ponzi scheme and you would be well advised to steer clear from these schemes. Simply not worth your time. As for the ISO 9001, ahem, well, lets just say, it aint too difficult to get that. Not sure about FICCI and MVIRDC memberships, but if the basic business premise is flawed and the returns are too good to be true, usually the scheme is a fraud. Period.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:52   #10
BHPian

Buddy 2 words: Keep off. These are nothing but minor Ponzi schemes at best and a chance for a beating at worst...unless you go in for the established players ala Amway.
You would be a lonely man at the end of it all...
Old 19th March 2009, 16:02   #11
BHPian

I too say either stay off or just join if you like the products and be just buyer/user for yourself

If you be a buyer by joining you will get rebate on the products as you being a member. This is only true if you like the products. IMO all products are not good some are worst others are OK and some are excellent.

I am not favouring anything but sometime through these multilevel marketing you get very good products. It is you to know whether we need that or not. If you need it then join.

In case your line grow up then you will earn benefit. This benefit should be welcomed as you are using the product and helping indirectly

Last edited by aka_iitd : 19th March 2009 at 16:16.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

OT: Some of my friends are into MLM of spirituality! No need to say which Organization I am referring to.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 16:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

but are all MLM's doomed to failure ? The amsoil market works.

heck, I just realized recently that I have set up an impromptu MLM network selling EP 630 earbuds .

I bought a pair. some friends of mine liked them, I bought some for them. then their friends bought them, and so on and so forth. I think I must have sold some 40 odd earbuds at 800~1k a piece.

Of course I didnt take any cut for myself. But I/my friends/the guy who sold me the earbuds could have easily run a profitable setup, since the buds used to sell for over 2k initially, and 1.2k now
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Mlm

I thought I will share this with you guys, this is a reply which my best friend who is doing well in MLM wrote, but that aside I never liked the concept of MLM...

((The idea that those on the top are the only ones who makes money is completely a myth. I have seen how MLM's work for a long time and I think most people have opinions about it that are emotional instead of logical.
Nobody can make money in a MLM without working hard, thats a fact. No matter how early that person started, unless he/she got people into the business by hard working, he/she will get nowhere. So any new person who comes in today can make huge amounts of money in months if they are really good at making clients or briging people into the business.

It is just plain obvious that without work you will not succeed in MLM. Now what brings negativity into MLM is the same as companies like ReMax and so on, the scheme relies on independent individuals to run "franchises" and as in a normal business some people will do anything to sell including cheating lying making up things or omiting essential information. In MLM's they usually omit information that they think the person should not know and distort some facts which is why people feel they've been tricked later on. Those who succeed are usually people who see they got "eaten" but have a winner spirit and just try to get the best out of it nevertheless.

For example in Herbalife they try to get people in the business but they never say that you can actually return the 4000 EUR in products to Herbalife if you want to give up the business after some months.
Herbalife returns 90% of the money if the products haven't been used of course. ))

They also avoid telling you some other things that would make it less likely that you'd join.

What I found to be impressive is the marketing plan organized by the top individuals, all explained so anybody will understand and that really tells you how you can start up. Governments should do that as well to help small businesses starting!

Generally I dislike MLM's. When someone from a MLM start talking to me I already know what they're going to say as most of it comes out of pre-defined scripts (like in callcenters) and specific training instructions. So when they talk I can see behind the scenes hehe.

Resuming, the negative input comes from:

1. Less honest MLM members who will do just anything to get their money in.

2. The fact that they will not tell you everything when they recruit you and some things you find out later on for example that you have to pay a yearly fee to stay on.

3. Some MLM's documentation and support is just very bad so it will be much harder for someone to get started and that dreamish idea of multiplication that you get 5 people and each gets 5 people in reality is you get one person and that one gets you none so you think the problem is the scheme, not you that are a lousy seller and didn't work enough to get it working. If you think at the number of people who complain there's no jobs in the market and see their profile, they're normally people who are not willing to work harder to make things happen. So they blame the system for their lazyness as they believe things should fall out of heaven and somehow they deserve something like winning the lottery.

2 cents
Old 19th March 2009, 16:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
heck, I just realized recently that I have set up an impromptu MLM network selling EP 630 earbuds .
Green you are right I too use some Amway product(only cleaning ones for my car and other branded catalogue products like Puma etc which have good discounts) and I take it from my friend who gives me without profit and I referred him to others when my other friends used/looked it and wanted them

Last edited by aka_iitd : 19th March 2009 at 16:54.

Most Viewed